LC Model (2018-present)

Low oil warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19 | 03:16 PM
2007sc430
Driver

Default Low oil warning

I purchased my 2019 brand new and at about 1950 miles I was idling on a steep incline and suddenly got the "low oil" warning. I thought it was a fluke due to the incline but today (2000 mile mark) I was driving it normally and then let it idle for mere minutes in a flat parking lot and it came on again. This time I decided to check the dipstick and it's at the low dot mark. Has anyone else had this issue? I dont see any apparent leaks anywhere. I dont use the car as a daily driver so when I do drive it, I tend to push it hard and keep it in S+ mode. Is it possible that it burned off that much oil driving it hard for the last 2000 miles? I tried searching the forums for ISF and GSF and it seems there have been similar reports from some owners. Also, the manual says this
■Engine oil consumption
A certain amount of engine oil will be consumed
while driving. In the following situations,
oil consumption may increase, and
engine oil may need to be refilled in
between oil maintenance intervals.
●When the engine is new, for example
directly after purchasing the vehicl
e or
after replacing the engine
●If low quality oil or oil of an inappropriate
viscosity is used
●When driving at high engine speeds or
with a heavy load, or when driving while
accelerating or decelerating frequently
●When leaving the engine idling for a long time.

The items in bold fit my situation but just want to make sure Im not the only owner experiencing this.

Last edited by 2007sc430; 07-12-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-12-19 | 04:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

This post made me go out to the garage and check mine. I have a bit over 1800 miles on the LC. I bought it in Nebraska and I live in Arizona. When I left the dealer after $ changing hands, a friend and I drove the car home. Took us 20 hrs and 30 mins. That was almost 2 weeks ago. Just checked the oil, and I'm still showing full

And, Yes, I always drive in Sport+ mode.

And a Note - Had my last Lexus, an ISF for 11 years - Never Had to Add Oil

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-12-19 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-12-19 | 05:17 PM
2007sc430
Driver

That's mostly highway though. I rarely take mine on the highway. So, imagine your engine playing almost constantly in range of 6-7k RPMs for 2000 miles. I live in a very mountainous area and therefore the engine is constantly working very hard, especially bc I use manual-mode a lot and tend to keep it in lower gears (2-3) to accelerate hard up the hills and also to engine-brake down the hills. I also only drive it in perfect weather and it's been sunny/very hot lately..but not sure if that's a factor. When I finally park the amount of heat coming from the front of the car is intense (but engine temp gauge reads normal).
Old 07-12-19 | 08:48 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^While breaking it in, I varied the RPMs coming home. On some stretches I briefly hit 115 and 120 MPH. And I'm just answering your question. No I have not experienced oil burning in my LC or my ISF. And come to think of it, I never burned a drop in my SC300 either.

Lou
Old 07-12-19 | 09:07 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

its because you had it on a incline, same thing happened to me on my 2018 - just the sensor but go in and get it checked out to address your concerns
Old 07-12-19 | 10:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^He was also a quart and a half low. Once topped off he should be OK. Visiting the dealer with a low oil warning light when the oil is low really serves no purpose.

Lou
Old 07-13-19 | 07:20 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

No, never burned or used any oil in my LC 500 or any other Lexus vehicle I've owned. I would at least let the dealer put in on your vehicle history in case it becomes a problem later.
Old 07-13-19 | 10:47 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2007sc430
I purchased my 2019 brand new and at about 1950 miles I was idling on a steep incline and suddenly got the "low oil" warning. I thought it was a fluke due to the incline but today (2000 mile mark) I was driving it normally and then let it idle for mere minutes in a flat parking lot and it came on again. This time I decided to check the dipstick and it's at the low dot mark. Has anyone else had this issue? I dont see any apparent leaks anywhere. I dont use the car as a daily driver so when I do drive it, I tend to push it hard and keep it in S+ mode. Is it possible that it burned off that much oil driving it hard for the last 2000 miles? I tried searching the forums for ISF and GSF and it seems there have been similar reports from some owners. Also, the manual says this
■Engine oil consumption
A certain amount of engine oil will be consumed
while driving. In the following situations,
oil consumption may increase, and
engine oil may need to be refilled in
between oil maintenance intervals.
●When the engine is new, for example
directly after purchasing the vehicl
e or
after replacing the engine
●If low quality oil or oil of an inappropriate
viscosity is used
●When driving at high engine speeds or
with a heavy load, or when driving while
accelerating or decelerating frequently
●When leaving the engine idling for a long time.

The items in bold fit my situation but just want to make sure Im not the only owner experiencing this.
After 1,000 mile break in you should have had your oil changed out and had the dealer use synthetic. The viscosity of regular oil breaks down much faster than synthetic. Also parked on inclines I would imagine that at least a quart may be inside the oil filter causing the sensor to detect a low reading. I have not had any issues. 24,500 miles on my 2018. I use Mobile 1 synthetic. I was going to change my transmission fluid and the gear oil at 30,000 miles and the shop foreman stated the transmission fluid was lifetime on the LC's. WTF? He recommended that if I wanted to change it for peace of mind to do it at 60,000 miles.
Old 07-13-19 | 03:52 PM
Puertex
Driver

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
After 1,000 mile break in you should have had your oil changed out and had the dealer use synthetic. The viscosity of regular oil breaks down much faster than synthetic. Also parked on inclines I would imagine that at least a quart may be inside the oil filter causing the sensor to detect a low reading. I have not had any issues. 24,500 miles on my 2018. I use Mobile 1 synthetic. I was going to change my transmission fluid and the gear oil at 30,000 miles and the shop foreman stated the transmission fluid was lifetime on the LC's. WTF? He recommended that if I wanted to change it for peace of mind to do it at 60,000 miles.
I would add/top off oil up to the full mark to establish a reference point and then check the oil level after every 200 miles or so to see if level is being lost.

It is possible that level was low or borderline to begin with when the car was delivered by the dealer.

On high performance engines it is recommended that the oil level is checked frequently, specially after "spirited" driving.

I 'member that my 'Vettes used oil after racing them and did not sweat it, just added oil...

Hope this helps...
Old 07-13-19 | 07:11 PM
2007sc430
Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^While breaking it in, I varied the RPMs coming home. On some stretches I briefly hit 115 and 120 MPH. And I'm just answering your question. No I have not experienced oil burning in my LC or my ISF. And come to think of it, I never burned a drop in my SC300 either.

Lou
Never burned a drop in my 94 sc300 or my 07 sc430 and I drove them both hard and had them for many years...that's why I was shocked when I found the level low once I parked on a totally level surface (my garage). Ive also hit 120 numerous times but that does not put the engine under nearly the same stress/load that I put it under when I normally go for a run.

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^He was also a quart and a half low. Once topped off he should be OK. Visiting the dealer with a low oil warning light when the oil is low really serves no purpose.

Lou
I agree. I think this top-off should do it.

Originally Posted by Craig B
No, never burned or used any oil in my LC 500 or any other Lexus vehicle I've owned. I would at least let the dealer put in on your vehicle history in case it becomes a problem later.
Good idea. Ill see if it happens again, then I'll bring it in.

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
Not sure where you got this from. The manual is clear that the first oil change is at 5000 mile mark and Lexus recommends non-synthetic for these engines (same for ISF, GSF, and this car). Im still on the fence about my first oil change, whether to make it synthetic or not. I use synthetic exclusively in all my other vehicles and all previous lexuses (sc300 and sc430) but I find it interesting that Lexus recommends synthetic in some of their current lineup but NOT for these engines. I really think im just pushing this engine way harder than most owners (I'm also probab one of the youngest LC owners which partially explains it). My engine literally stays at 6-7k RPM most of the time and it's been hot outside. It seems that I fulfill the conditions that the manual mentions.

Originally Posted by Puertex
I would add/top off oil up to the full mark to establish a reference point and then check the oil level after every 200 miles or so to see if level is being lost.

It is possible that level was low or borderline to begin with when the car was delivered by the dealer.

On high performance engines it is recommended that the oil level is checked frequently, specially after "spirited" driving.

I 'member that my 'Vettes used oil after racing them and did not sweat it, just added oil...

Hope this helps...
Thank you to all of you. Yes, great advice. I will be checking it quite frequently from now on and will update the board. I read on the facebook groups regarding fellow owners bragging about getting 30mpg on their LCs. Sorry but that's a joke to me. If you buy a performance GT car then you should be enjoying it in a way that it was designed to be enjoyed. My avg since new is 11.5 mpg.
Old 07-14-19 | 04:40 AM
larrs
Driver

Originally Posted by 2007sc430
The manual is clear that the first oil change is at 5000 mile mark and Lexus recommends non-synthetic for these engines (same for ISF, GSF, and this car). Im still on the fence about my first oil change, whether to make it synthetic or not. I use synthetic exclusively in all my other vehicles and all previous lexuses (sc300 and sc430) but I find it interesting that Lexus recommends synthetic in some of their current lineup but NOT for these engines.
When I asked, the story I got from my service advisor as to the reason for this recommendation is that Lexus think non-synthetic oil has better thermal conductivity (heat transfer capability). I've never heard or read that before. and it seems contrary to everything I've read about synthetic oil.
Old 07-14-19 | 06:56 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Well he's full of BS

Lou
Old 07-14-19 | 07:29 AM
Puertex
Driver

Originally Posted by larrs
When I asked, the story I got from my service advisor as to the reason for this recommendation is that Lexus think non-synthetic oil has better thermal conductivity (heat transfer capability). I've never heard or read that before. and it seems contrary to everything I've read about synthetic oil.
I cant wait to start using synthetic oil.

Dealer just replaced the non syn oil at 4,000 miles.

I sort of agree with not using synthetics for better break in but I think its splitting hairs.

Another far fetched reason is the Lexus want the owners to come back every 5k for maintenance to increase revenue.

I will play the game until 9k, switch to synthetics and will change the oil myself from that point on.
Old 07-14-19 | 09:11 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Lexus says, every 6 months or 5,000 which ever comes first on the LC 500 for oil changes. I switched to synthetic after my first free oil change.
I purchased my Mobil 1 extended service at Walmart in 5 quart jugs.
Old 07-14-19 | 01:21 PM
Puertex
Driver

Originally Posted by larrs
Lexus recommends 5,000 mile change interval based on using conventional oils.

Based on my past experience with 3 high performance engines (2 Corvettes and a Chevy SS) they all use Mobil 1 and the oil replacement light comes on at around 10,000 miles.

Also, many Lexus dealers when asked about the IS-F oil change interval when using synthetic oil, recommend 10,000 miles. The IS-F has practically the same engine as the LC-500.

I am trained in machinery design and tribology, so it is easier for me to mentally accept the risk of not following the manual to the letter in this case.

I have read of some people that switched to synthetic oil and still change their oil every 3,000 miles. I will not criticize anyone for the decisions they make. They are paying for it. More power to them.

Please refer to this article if this topic is of your interest:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tip...-your-oil.html

Quick Reply: Low oil warning