LC Model (2018-present)

2020 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 09:22 AM
LC500NV
Rookie

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting review but I don't think there's much doubt that the the C8 will be a much faster, better handling car. They're really apples and oranges and having owned both (latest Vette was a C7 Grand Sport) I much prefer the LC with it's higher level of quality and comfort. I don't mind giving up a bit of performance for a vastly superior machine. Unless GM has dramatically upgraded their build quality and materials, these cars will remain different animals for different buyers. Of course, I haven't seen (in person) or driven a C8 yet so the jury remains out for me.
Old 08-03-19, 09:29 AM
LC500NV
Rookie

Originally Posted by Puertex
The sweet spot to purchase a Vette is 5 years old with 10,000 miles...Half price.

No way. They seem to be holding their value a lot better than that.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...51683&zc=89117
Old 08-03-19, 09:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by timrudy
Entertaining review with some interesting engineering facts from down under. It doesn't call out the 2020 Vette, but is spot on regarding what the LC is all about, IMO.
I turned it off early on. He kept referring to the shock tower as a strut tower And, IMO, he was just plain abrasive

Lou
Old 08-03-19, 05:30 PM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LC500NV
No way. They seem to be holding their value a lot better than that.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...51683&zc=89117
Take a look at this extracted from the internet:

The 2013 Chevrolet Corvette coupe's Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starts just under $51,000. This was the car price when new.

Now take a look at the trade in value of the same car after roughly 5 years and 10,000 miles.

$23,864 - $26,373 range or 50% of MSRP !

The above price is based on 10,000 miles !

When I purchase cars, I purchase them at trade in value or below. Why? Because dealers pay less than trade in and if they sell the car at trade in, they are making their money.

Of course, some people pay much higher, but you know the way I look at it, those people that pay higher help me get my car at below trade in.

https://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/corvet...condition=good

Respectfully,

Puertex

Last edited by Puertex; 08-03-19 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 10:08 PM
LC500NV
Rookie

I doubt you will find even a stripped base 2014 Corvette (original MSRP about $55K) with 10K miles for $28K. When you do, get back to me.
Old 08-04-19, 02:59 PM
jwgorrie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^My last ISF was silver (Mercury Metallic) and my LC is black (Cavier). My truck is white (Summit White). The interiors of my ISF and LC is black. Truck is Grey. I guess I'm unimaginative

Lou
Hey, how are you finding the switch from an IS F to the LC? I’ve heard that the LC is as good as the F models in handling, performance etc even though it’s not an F car?

I’m due a test drive, but like to hear owners thoughts!
Old 08-04-19, 07:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

^^^^Can't tell you that yet. I have the stock 20" wheel with the Bridgestone RF street tires. So far, OK. But, My new 21" Vossen wheels should be in this week and my 255/40 and 295/35 PSS4s are waiting for them at Discount Tire.

Lou
Old 08-04-19, 10:51 PM
LC500NV
Rookie

Take a look at this extracted from the internet:

The 2013 Chevrolet Corvette coupe's Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starts just under $51,000. This was the car price when new.

Now take a look at the trade in value of the same car after roughly 5 years and 10,000 miles.

$23,864 - $26,373 range or 50% of MSRP !

The above price is based on 10,000 miles !

When I purchase cars, I purchase them at trade in value or below. Why? Because dealers pay less than trade in and if they sell the car at trade in, they are making their money.

Of course, some people pay much higher, but you know the way I look at it, those people that pay higher help me get my car at below trade in.

https://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/corvet...condition=good

Respectfully,

Puertex

I guess you deleted the post about Carmax, etc.??

Anyway, the car mentioned above is going to be 7 years old, not five...and it's a C6. You'll not find anything even close to 50% of MSRP for a 2014-2015 Corvette with less than 10K miles. I sold my 2017 Corvette Grand Sport a few months ago for $60K. Paid $66K for it almost three years earlier. The MSRP was $82K. I prefer to buy new but only when I can get a substantial discount. Corvettes are a different animal than most other cars. Two years from now, that Grand Sport will still be worth more than 50% of MSRP....even more so now because the C7 is the last front-engined Corvette and is available with a stick. It's going to hold its value well, especially the Z06's and ZR1's.
Old 08-05-19, 04:57 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Unrelated, but a story I want to share.

My last Corvette was a 2006 with manual tranny. It had 25,000 miles on it.

The car performed flawlessly with no mechanical problems while I owned it.

The day I decide to trade it in, I drove it to Carmax and parked it for them to appraise it.

I went inside to wait while they inspected it. The guy walks in and tell me that they could not inspect it because the clutch was out !

I thought they were s***ting me ! But when I went to check, sure enough the clutch had failed right at that moment.

The clutch pedal was limp (maybe there is a better choice of word here).

I was embarrassed and baffled. Had to call a tow truck to come and get it and take it to the mechanic.

After a $1,500 repair, I brought it back and they bought it from me.

I could not believe that it failed at that specific moment but in retrospect, that was a good place to fail rather that in the middle of traffic.
Talk about timing! Wow. But you're right — better there than in the middle of rush hour!
Old 08-05-19, 05:55 PM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LC500NV
I guess you deleted the post about Carmax, etc.??

Anyway, the car mentioned above is going to be 7 years old, not five...and it's a C6. You'll not find anything even close to 50% of MSRP for a 2014-2015 Corvette with less than 10K miles. I sold my 2017 Corvette Grand Sport a few months ago for $60K. Paid $66K for it almost three years earlier. The MSRP was $82K. I prefer to buy new but only when I can get a substantial discount. Corvettes are a different animal than most other cars. Two years from now, that Grand Sport will still be worth more than 50% of MSRP....even more so now because the C7 is the last front-engined Corvette and is available with a stick. It's going to hold its value well, especially the Z06's and ZR1's.
I totally respect your opinion. You have some good points.

I did delete the post because I realized that we disagree and its a lost cause.

My point about Carmax that you disagree with is that Carmax buys cars every day for less than trade-in value and that people go to Carmax every day to sell their car instead of selling it to a private party. Just because someone is lucky and sells their car with a minimum loss doesn't mean that's the norm.

They are selling their car for less than half the trade-in to Carmax because the dealer will not even pay the trade in value and they have a better chance with Carmax.

I have known a Vette owner that wanted to trade in his car to get a new one but could not get even get the trade in value because he had replaced the OEM wheels and that devalued his car.

Instead he sold the car to a coworker for trade in because the coworker knew the guy and was willing to get a good deal. That was 50% off MSRP.

So just because you have not seen it happen it does not mean it is not possible. And the KBB trade in information supports it !

Today I just see a 2013 Vette on Ebay with 15,000 miles asking $29,900 (58% off MSRP!). That is asking price and taking offers, that does not mean that he will sell it for the asking price. This dude is asking $29,900 because he ultimately wants the trade in value at a minimum. I would say he is within the negotiating range of getting at 50%. In my opinion, he is asking too much !

I realize that not everyone knows how to negotiate and end up paying a lot for their cars. Hey to each their own !

I am not saying I am an expert but I have been buying and selling cars for many years.

Oh, I also disagree that a 2013 is 7 years old. In my book the 2013 is 5 years and not quite six. But again, if you want to call it 7 or 10, that's OK with me.

Like I said, I agree to disagree.

But this has been an excellent discussion with a fellow forum member.

Take care !

Last edited by Puertex; 08-05-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 10:38 AM
LC500NV
Rookie

I totally respect your opinion. You have some good points.

I did delete the post because I realized that we disagree and its a lost cause.

My point about Carmax that you disagree with is that Carmax buys cars every day for less than trade-in value and that people go to Carmax every day to sell their car instead of selling it to a private party. Just because someone is lucky and sells their car with a minimum loss doesn't mean that's the norm.

They are selling their car for less than half the trade-in to Carmax because the dealer will not even pay the trade in value and they have a better chance with Carmax.

I have known a Vette owner that wanted to trade in his car to get a new one but could not get even get the trade in value because he had replaced the OEM wheels and that devalued his car.

Instead he sold the car to a coworker for trade in because the coworker knew the guy and was willing to get a good deal. That was 50% off MSRP.

So just because you have not seen it happen it does not mean it is not possible. And the KBB trade in information supports it !

Today I just see a 2013 Vette on Ebay with 15,000 miles asking $29,900 (58% off MSRP!). That is asking price and taking offers, that does not mean that he will sell it for the asking price. This dude is asking $29,900 because he ultimately wants the trade in value at a minimum. I would say he is within the negotiating range of getting at 50%. In my opinion, he is asking too much !

I realize that not everyone knows how to negotiate and end up paying a lot for their cars. Hey to each their own !

I am not saying I am an expert but I have been buying and selling cars for many years.

Oh, I also disagree that a 2013 is 7 years old. In my book the 2013 is 5 years and not quite six. But again, if you want to call it 7 or 10, that's OK with me.

Like I said, I agree to disagree.

But this has been an excellent discussion with a fellow forum member.

Take care !
Here is the key KBB trade-in value for 2014 Corvette. MSRP 55,000.

With the 2020 model year about to be released, his car is almost 6 years old.
Old 08-07-19, 04:51 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Whether it's sold out at this point, getting your hands on a first year example will likely be tough. From what I recall, the C7 was tough to score, and this is a whole different animal...
Old 08-12-19, 05:51 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts
Default First C8 wreck?

Old 08-29-19, 02:28 PM
LC500NV
Rookie

I had a chance to view and sit in a C8 Corvette today. The local Chevy dealer had an Elkhart Blue, 3LT example on display. The car is quite impressive, especially with a base price of $60K. It looks better in person than in photos and it's a bigger car than I expected. Interior quality is a bit better than the C7 but not at Lexus levels. On this pre-production car the cup holder door was broken, the passenger seat had a major squeak and the side bolster of the driver seat was pretty beat up.....but thousands have sat in this car so these aren't reasons to judge the final production version. The paint was exceptionally good and body panels all lined up perfectly. If this is the way production cars will look, then bravo. Getting in and out is no easy task and the thick, long doors need to be opened almost all the way to exit. This would be a problem in my garage if my wife's car is there. Ergonomics was fine but the cockpit is very unfriendly to the passenger. No doubt performance will be incredible, so overall I think this is a major triumph for GM. Would I swap my LC500 for one? I dunno......I'm spoiled by the Lexus, but perhaps it needs a friend from Detroit.

Sorry about the crappy pic.

The following users liked this post:
web4488 (08-30-19)
Old 08-29-19, 04:58 PM
Oilman
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the in person review of the C8. And the picture is just fine. Any better and I'd put down a deposit! LOL
Those wheels look fantastic. And the open roof is very appealing, especially since the panels can make it hard top in a flash.
My only Vette was a 1969 but it was a beauty back then. This new C8 has a lot going for it. I'd like to see it in person, too.
The following users liked this post:
LC500NV (08-29-19)

Quick Reply: 2020 Corvette