LC Model (2018-present)

Driver's Side Door Handle Not Popping Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 10:47 AM
Enzo954
Pit Crew

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Issues like this make me contemplate getting an extended warranty. It seems like the door handle might be an issue for everyone at some point. I guess it really depends on how long you plan on keeping the car.
The following users liked this post:
NickL (07-22-24)
Old 06-27-23, 11:33 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 630 Likes on 335 Posts

if it happens it happens. might not even happen with in the 10 year warranty period. It sounds very elitist to say this, but after owning a Maserati for over 10+ year, nothing scares me anymore for maintenance costs. the worst bill on my maserati was 18grand Canadian.
BruceinFla (06-27-23)
Old 07-05-23, 11:16 AM
lcerious
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've encountered the same thing with the driver's side handle of a 2018 model. At first, it failed while in the closed position, so it was manageable. Last week, it worked for a few unlocks, and then failed in the open position.

Add one more to the list. I haven't involved the dealer yet, but the car is out of warranty, so it's not looking good.
Old 07-05-23, 01:34 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 630 Likes on 335 Posts

seems so far to be limited to the 2018's. I havent seen anything newer with that door handle problem (though i sincerely doubt they will change suppliers for the door mechanism on such a low volume car)
Old 07-05-23, 02:25 PM
lcerious
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Badhobz
seems so far to be limited to the 2018's. I havent seen anything newer with that door handle problem (though i sincerely doubt they will change suppliers for the door mechanism on such a low volume car)
I really doubted the business case for changes to the part with even the existing supplier, but there is some evidence that it was revised at some point. There is a part number 69202-11011-D1 (found listed in some ebay listings), and the Lexus part page says it was replaced with part 69202-11012-D1 (also seen in the screenshot from tecman earlier).

I'd like to know why that part number was updated, but it doesn't make much of a difference in the end. It could be anything, and only the newer number can be ordered from Lexus.
SDLC (07-06-23)
Old 07-05-23, 06:14 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 389 Likes on 253 Posts

Can you still open the door and how if the handle doesn’t pop open for you to pull?
Old 07-06-23, 05:38 AM
lcerious
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NickL
Can you still open the door and how if the handle doesn’t pop open for you to pull?
Yes, you can still open the door as long as the car is unlocked.

The handle pivots on an axis a couple of inches from the end closest to the front of the car. In the video tecman posted earlier, you can see that side of the handle going further into its casing as the handle is pulled.

When the handle is flush with the surface of the door, it is possible to press on the side closest to the front of the car and pivot the handle on its axis. Once it is out, you can use the handle normally to open the door as long the car is unlocked. The handle acts like any other car door handle when the car is locked (even when stuck in the "unlocked" position), and just pulls without releasing the latch or opening the door.

Because the handle was usable even when it did not pop out automatically, being stuck in the "unlocked" position seems to have more disadvantages. It's visually noticable, and there's a whistling noise from the air flow going around it.
The following 2 users liked this post by lcerious:
355F1 (07-06-23), NickL (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 09:12 PM
coralchpr
Driver

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Went out on my 2019 w/20k miles last month. driver side. Fortunately, it was covered by warranty.
Old 12-14-23, 12:19 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo954
Issues like this make me contemplate getting an extended warranty. It seems like the door handle might be an issue for everyone at some point. I guess it really depends on how long you plan on keeping the car.
Now my figure is 2 years old, they have gone up on warranty prices, but my 10 yr 100k mile Platinum was about $200 more than both sides of actuators.
Bruce in Fl Wolverine Lexus is who to call
Old 12-15-23, 08:04 AM
iVector
9th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I find that the actuator for the LC500 door is a common point of failure. Thankfully it's not catastrophic like a lot of the PoFs I see on other cars, but man is it an annoying one!
Old 12-15-23, 08:15 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

It’s funny I remember reading this thread while researching the LC500 before I bought mine - it was the sole reason I got an extended warranty
Old 12-15-23, 02:02 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 876 Likes on 608 Posts

You don't need no stinkin door handle GatorGreg
Old 12-16-23, 05:41 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
You don't need no stinkin door handle GatorGreg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXol...andomOldVideos
Thanks, I’ll have to remember that for when the warranty runs out
Old 04-19-24, 02:31 PM
JonnyC
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Root cause?

Do we know yet what the root cause of the failure is? I was hoping to find some definitive statements based on how common it seems to be, at least with 2018's, but everyone just seems to get it fixed under warranty or pays out of pocket and moves on.
I will be picking up a low mileage 2018 LC next week, and keep reading about the failures of the handles, and it's almost making me consider the overpriced warranty on top of the 2-year CPO, making an assumption that I'll be out ~$2k each side at some point.

Based on what I could find, including in this thread, it seems like it's one of these possibilities:
  1. Defective part that was possibly revised, as pointed out by lcerious
  2. Water entry leading to corrosion
    This video was posted showing how water flows through the handle and drains out of the door, so water is possibly getting into the motor/gears. I saw in the Lexus LC 500 Club on Facebook someone post a picture of the inside of the defective motor, which had corrosion and broken teeth.
  3. Pushing the handle closed leads to broken teeth on the gears, so just use the fob as much as you can to lock?
Has anyone had theirs replaced and had them fail again?

It seems the MSRP on the parts have gone up too, $1,725 for some of the colors. I'm wondering if I just stash away the cash for the parts, knowing that's just part of the ownership of the first model year.

If this has been discussed and answered elsewhere, my apologies!

Last edited by JonnyC; 04-19-24 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-19-24, 03:21 PM
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The 2yr CPO is a nice addition, I've made sure that the used Lexus's I've purchased had that. Yea, higher cost but less concerns for me. I've never sprung for an extended Warranty (well I guess I did, got the tire/wheel coverage for the 23 LC). At my dealership they also usually have a Service discount; 15% off for Veterans, 15% off first time service guests etc. I shouldn't say it, but we've been pretty lucky so far with all the Lexus vehicles we have unlike other OEM's we've owned.
JonnyC (04-19-24)

Quick Reply: Driver's Side Door Handle Not Popping Out