LC Model (2018-present)

Replacing LC500 torsen diff with LC500h one!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-22, 07:28 AM
breplica
Pit Crew

Received 130 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MLMLC52K18
Then in essence, I can only assume that installing this mod would be comparable to driving your LC in fulltime Sport+ mode, which I do already.
Unfortunately there's no way to create the same effect on stock hardware. Best way I can think of to explain it is that Sport+ is a better version of the same engine. With the new differential, it feels like a completely different engine

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as sick said, one downside is reduced fuel economy (not much).
another is with the changed gearing the car can feel 'touchy' (quick response to throttle). not a bad thing to me but can make some drivers become more 'jerky'.
I didn't talk about this in my review above but yes bitkahuna is right, the throttle will be a little more twitchy at slow speeds because there is more torque available. It does require some mental adjustment, which happens fairly quickly, but is not uncomfortable or a negative issue at all (to me, at least)

Last edited by breplica; 06-25-22 at 07:43 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by breplica:
bitkahuna (06-25-22), finny76 (01-22-24), MLMLC52K18 (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 08:39 AM
MLMLC52K18
Advanced

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Then driving in Sport+ mode with this mod has got to be INSANE!
Old 06-25-22, 07:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

as i said, having done this kind of mod before on a lexus v8 car (gs400), it was EXCELLENT! tempted to do this too, but probably not for a while. i also put in an upgraded torque converter too. not sure if such a thing is needed or available for the LC.
The following users liked this post:
MLMLC52K18 (06-25-22)
Old 06-26-22, 12:57 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I would love to do this if I know for sure that this pumpkin will fit my RCF. From what I researched, the stock 2.937 rear differential have different part numbers between the LC500 and RCF, so I guess the LCh won't fit either. I had the ring & pinion swap in my IS300 years ago and it made a big difference on how the car launched, so I've always been looking for a way to do this mod on the RCF. I don't like to do the ring/pinion swap again because it's less reliable. My drive shaft bearing went bad a couple years later. The original cost plus repair summed up to almost doing the pumpkin swap. $4000 is not bad.
Old 06-28-22, 09:44 AM
Lambr00
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much was the install?
Old 06-30-22, 10:06 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

There’s got to be a downside. If performance can be markedly enhanced just by changing out differential, then why doesn’t Toyota just do it??? I am not a Motorhead, but from an engineering standpoint, maybe it causes some unnatural stresses to some other component in the drivetrain??? If there is any chance that it could affect vehicle warranty, then Toyota must know something.
Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards.
Old 07-02-22, 02:33 PM
pedroelbee
Driver

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone know if this will fit the convertible? I'm assuming it will, since I believe we have the same diff as the coupe, but I know the rear steering didn't fit, so it's worth checking.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-22, 05:40 PM
breplica
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pedroelbee
Anyone know if this will fit the convertible? I'm assuming it will, since I believe we have the same diff as the coupe, but I know the rear steering didn't fit, so it's worth checking.

Thanks!
It will fit. The LC500 coupe and convertible share the same part number for the stock differential (41110-11040), therefore the LC500h differential (which works on the coupe) will work on the convertible

The rear steer module is mounted to a chassis crossbar which is in turn mounted to the differential so having rear steer does not influence the differential itself other that having one additional thing to unbolt and bolt back on during the swap

Enjoy!
Old 07-02-22, 08:10 PM
pedroelbee
Driver

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome, thanks!
Old 07-08-22, 04:19 AM
breplica
Pit Crew

Guys, I need to make a small addendum to my earlier review of the differential swap regarding the top speed

In my original review, I mentioned the top speed would remain unchanged because the electronically limited top speed of 285km/h is reached at 6000rpm in 7th gear, which means that even with shorter gears, the car could simply rev higher (or in a higher gear) to get to that aforementioned 285km/h speed limit

Well, I was wrong

My assumption was that the 'speed limiter' in our LC500s are based on speedo readings. This is not the case!

The 'speed limit' is actually an 'rpm limit' - it simply stops producing power at 6000rpm in 7th gear onwards. On stock gearing, that is at 285km/h thereabouts. With this new differential, the speed at that gear/rpm is about 245km/h indicated. I have personally verified this at those speeds (don't ask me how I did it lol). Once you hit 6000rpm/7th gear/245km/h the car goes into a soft limiter mode where with the throttle pinned the car just maintains that rpm/speed and will not upshift. There is no sound/warning/alert from the engine, it just feels like someone turned the cruise control on at the limit rpm. In case anyone is wondering there is definitely nothing wrong with the car: I went in excess of 260km/h on it some time before I swapped out the differential

For most people I assume it wont matter. I doubt you would spend much, if any, time at those speeds, in which case then you don't have to worry about it. I'll be looking into getting myself a speed limiter removing device like the one made by Blitz or Tom's (which i suspect are the same units, just rebranded) and report back to let you guys know if it worked

285km/h - 177mph
245km/h - 152mph

for my american friends

In case anyone wants to see what the top speed limiter behaviour is like, go to 6:35 on this video:
The video cuts away abruptly just after he hits the limiter but you can see the rpm bouncing back and forth at 6000rpm (speed 285/286kmh) for a second or two before it does

Last edited by breplica; 07-08-22 at 04:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by breplica:
finny76 (01-22-24), MileHIFcar (07-11-22), pedroelbee (07-08-22)
Old 07-08-22, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

awesome info/reporting/feedback, thank you breplica.

and yeah 152mph would be plenty for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
breplica (07-08-22), MLMLC52K18 (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 05:06 AM
anchaf3
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by breplica
Guys, I need to make a small addendum to my earlier review of the differential swap regarding the top speed

In my original review, I mentioned the top speed would remain unchanged because the electronically limited top speed of 285km/h is reached at 6000rpm in 7th gear, which means that even with shorter gears, the car could simply rev higher (or in a higher gear) to get to that aforementioned 285km/h speed limit

Well, I was wrong

My assumption was that the 'speed limiter' in our LC500s are based on speedo readings. This is not the case!

The 'speed limit' is actually an 'rpm limit' - it simply stops producing power at 6000rpm in 7th gear onwards. On stock gearing, that is at 285km/h thereabouts. With this new differential, the speed at that gear/rpm is about 245km/h indicated. I have personally verified this at those speeds (don't ask me how I did it lol). Once you hit 6000rpm/7th gear/245km/h the car goes into a soft limiter mode where with the throttle pinned the car just maintains that rpm/speed and will not upshift. There is no sound/warning/alert from the engine, it just feels like someone turned the cruise control on at the limit rpm. In case anyone is wondering there is definitely nothing wrong with the car: I went in excess of 260km/h on it some time before I swapped out the differential

For most people I assume it wont matter. I doubt you would spend much, if any, time at those speeds, in which case then you don't have to worry about it. I'll be looking into getting myself a speed limiter removing device like the one made by Blitz or Tom's (which i suspect are the same units, just rebranded) and report back to let you guys know if it worked

285km/h - 177mph
245km/h - 152mph

for my american friends

In case anyone wants to see what the top speed limiter behaviour is like, go to 6:35 on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Ka...nnel=AutoTopNL The video cuts away abruptly just after he hits the limiter but you can see the rpm bouncing back and forth at 6000rpm (speed 285/286kmh) for a second or two before it does
I had the Blitz speed cut. On the US market car it seems to do nothing. I had the car on the dyno a few times, and like you, I experienced a "soft" limit when going WOT. I cannot remember the exact speed, as this was over two years ago. I think the product is used for the JDM cars that have a much lower speed limit.
The following users liked this post:
breplica (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 05:44 AM
MLMLC52K18
Advanced

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

breplica---Who is this Daredevil driving the LC like a ‘bat out of hell’! And where is he driving? Is this on the Autoban? I hope so! I like to drive ‘pedal to the metal’ but it looks a lil fast even for me!
Old 07-09-22, 06:04 AM
breplica
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by anchaf3
I had the Blitz speed cut. On the US market car it seems to do nothing. I had the car on the dyno a few times, and like you, I experienced a "soft" limit when going WOT. I cannot remember the exact speed, as this was over two years ago. I think the product is used for the JDM cars that have a much lower speed limit.
damn, i was hearing whispers about this locally as well, that the blitz and tom's speed limiter remover is for the JDM cars which apparently have a 180km/h limit. Hope this is wrong...will update here if I get more info about this
Old 07-09-22, 06:07 AM
breplica
Pit Crew

breplica---Who is this Daredevil driving the LC like a ‘bat out of hell’! And where is he driving? Is this on the Autoban? I hope so! I like to drive ‘pedal to the metal’ but it looks a lil fast even for me!
Without saying too much, a neighbouring country of mine has an excellent continental highway network with minimal speed policing. The very, very few times you get caught, you just pay a fine. no arrests or jail terms or loss of licence regardless how fast you are going. Traffic, safety, performance, and driver skill permitting, you can pretty much go as fast as you want, and many do . Can I just say the LC500 is positively heavenly when 'supercruising' above 200km/h (124mph), this is an experience I would hope every LC500 owner would be able to experience at some point

Last edited by breplica; 07-09-22 at 06:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by breplica:
Charedj (07-27-23), MLMLC52K18 (07-09-22)

Quick Reply: Replacing LC500 torsen diff with LC500h one!