LC Model (2018-present)

Replacing LC500 torsen diff with LC500h one!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 07:16 AM
MLMLC52K18
Advanced

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My 2013 GS is my travel car. So I've had occasions to run it up to 120+ while on the Florida Turnpike between 2am & 5am. I've only driven the LC locally so I've had few opportunities to 'bust out'. But I look forward to seeing how well she handles the prolonged speed one day.
The following users liked this post:
breplica (07-09-22)
Old 07-11-22, 09:30 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Looks like this might have to be a mod accompanied by a tune by Loi to remove the limiter along with the benefits of the tune itself and shorter gearing. Maybe some won't mind the lower top speed but I know there are plenty out there that will like the limiter removed for the occasional blast in Mexico where they are more lenient😎

Would love to see a top speed run with a LC with the shorter gearing in 8th gear!
The following 2 users liked this post by MileHIFcar:
Charedj (07-27-23), iamnaeem (03-21-23)
Old 09-26-22, 03:44 PM
LEXU5
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by breplica
Without saying too much, a neighbouring country of mine has an excellent continental highway network with minimal speed policing. The very, very few times you get caught, you just pay a fine. no arrests or jail terms or loss of licence regardless how fast you are going. Traffic, safety, performance, and driver skill permitting, you can pretty much go as fast as you want, and many do . Can I just say the LC500 is positively heavenly when 'supercruising' above 200km/h (124mph), this is an experience I would hope every LC500 owner would be able to experience at some point
what country are you in? in your bio it says SG, which I can only presume means Singapore. cant think of anything SG in Europe where I assume that video was from.
Old 09-26-22, 10:53 PM
breplica
Pit Crew

Received 130 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXU5
what country are you in? in your bio it says SG, which I can only presume means Singapore. cant think of anything SG in Europe where I assume that video was from.
Yep you're right I am from Singapore. The video from europe was made by someone else
Old 03-20-23, 04:45 AM
96spec
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I have not posted here before and been reading this interesting thread - I have a non LSD LC and looking at options of putting in an LSD equipped differ either from Hybrid or 5.0. Seems like buying 41110-11050 or 41110-11040 is the best way to go but not sure if I want the shorter final drive of the LCH. Has anyone else done this change either to go shorter final drive or from non LSD to LSD?

@breplica - how do you like the change a year on?
Old 03-20-23, 06:07 PM
breplica
Pit Crew

I am still absolutely in love with this mod. my brain has gotten used to the downshifts and I still enjoy the extra in-gear acceleration very much. Having said that if all you care about is getting the smoothest ride from your LC, then there is no huge reason to go with the shorter gearing as the stock car already drives great.

The trouble with going with the torsen LSD is you're already spending quite a large amount of money if you are buying one, and the incremental cost is trivial to add the shorter gearing. So for most people I would recommend just doing both. My guess is about 90% of LC500 drivers would prefer a car with both the shorter gearing + LSD instead of just the LSD
The following 3 users liked this post by breplica:
Beachtyme (11-27-23), Charedj (07-27-23), iamnaeem (03-21-23)
Old 03-21-23, 03:51 AM
96spec
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still absolutely in love with this mod. my brain has gotten used to the downshifts and I still enjoy the extra in-gear acceleration very much. Having said that if all you care about is getting the smoothest ride from your LC, then there is no huge reason to go with the shorter gearing as the stock car already drives great.

The trouble with going with the torsen LSD is you're already spending quite a large amount of money if you are buying one, and the incremental cost is trivial to add the shorter gearing. So for most people I would recommend just doing both. My guess is about 90% of LC500 drivers would prefer a car with both the shorter gearing + LSD instead of just the LSD
Thanks @breplica Did you record any video since swapping the diff ?

Ill keep a look out for a used diff - given their rarity that will likely decide if I go for the shorter final or not. In the US there are some used items but I am in the UK and they wont ship here.
Old 03-21-23, 12:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

very tempting. must... resist...
breplica (03-21-23)
Old 03-21-23, 05:49 PM
breplica
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 96spec
Thanks @breplica Did you record any video since swapping the diff ?

Ill keep a look out for a used diff - given their rarity that will likely decide if I go for the shorter final or not. In the US there are some used items but I am in the UK and they wont ship here.
No I didn't film any videos but the car does basically drive the exact same, only it's faster in each gear

Used diff is a good idea. You might come across one eventually. I actually sold my original diff with the stock gearing (and torsen LSD) to a guy in the middle east. The shipping was horrendously expensive though

For me personally, I ordered through a local lexus parts supplier who operates a physical store. I would not be surprised if you could place an order for the item through Lexus UK or something like that. You should give them a try

Last edited by breplica; 03-21-23 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-11-23, 02:21 PM
Enzo954
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 61 Posts

What's the approximate labor cost for a shop to change out the parts?
Old 06-13-23, 02:05 PM
iamnaeem
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo954
What's the approximate labor cost for a shop to change out the parts?
Labor rates tend to depend on where you live. Shops around me charge anywhere from $100-350/per hour for reasonable shops. This job would take about 3-5 hours. Average for labor only would be about $900 based on these numbers.
Old 07-26-23, 01:34 PM
FR680
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceCars
Very cool, shorter final drives always equal more street fun. I like the idea of adding lsd if one doesn’t already have it.
One thing to be aware of is that 2021 and newer LC 500s come with either Active Cornering Assist (ACA) or a Torsen LSD. The two are not compatible.

From the 2021 LC 500 UK press release:

Torsen Limited-Slip Differential
A Torsen limited-slip differential is also included in the LC 500 Coupe specification. This allows the driver to enjoy secure acceleration while cornering. When used in conjunction with DRS, it will simultaneously control power to the wheels in co-operation with the vehicle stability control, while the DRS controls the steering angle. The LSD will counteract over or understeer and help keep the car to its intended line. At the same time, a natural driving feel is communicated to the driver, even at the limit of performance.

Active Cornering Assist
The standard (non-Sport+ Pack) LC 500h Coupe features Active Cornering Assist (ACA), which functions within the Vehicle Stability Control to help keep the car faithful to the driver’s intended line when cornering at higher speeds. The VSC applies brake control to the wheels on the inner side of the curve to help prevent the car from spinning out. The ACA suppresses the tendency to understeer that occurs when the accelerator is pressed in high-G cornering, to achieve superior performance.

The operation of the VSC is co-ordinated with other handling and stability systems through the LC’s Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) and Lexus Dynamic Handling. This allows control of rear-wheel torque and steering torque in addition to braking, in over and understeer conditions. ACA is not compatible with a limited-slip differential.

If you install an LC 500h Torsen LSD on a car that came with an open differential, there may be negative issues or conflicts with the ACA.
bitkahuna (07-27-23)
Old 10-21-23, 07:25 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Just joinig this thread as I am picking up my Bespoke LC 500 tomorrow. I've ordered 2 LCs to start with the intent on picking just one. One of them is Bespoke, and the other is Inspiration series. Both convertibles. After long consideration, I just couldn't live with the all blue interior fo the inspiration series. So I will pick up the Bespoke on Monday (white exterior + white & blue interior. My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if there are gear ratio differences between the regular LC (incuding Bespoke) vs. Inspiration?
2. Since I have the vins for both, it should be easy for me to order the diff assembly of the inspiration model from the dealership. Only unknown is the tuning on the Inspiration series that accomodates the LSD, and what impact that may have on the Bespoke edition which I am picking up..

Also, given that the inspiration does come with LSD, I am wondering if the LSD on the Inspiration is any different than the one from the 500h models.

Here are some shots of the car which the dealer sent me.

bitkahuna (10-21-23)
Old 10-21-23, 12:01 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Answers to Questions:

1. No - The same ratios.

2. Again, Both the same.

3. Again, Both Inspiration and normal LC500 have the same gearing. As stated earlier in this thread, the LC500 and the LC500h have different gearing, both in the transmission and in the differential. The LC500 has a 10 speed transmission the LC500h has a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that mimics gears. The differential gear ratios are LC500 = 2.937 the LC500h = 3.357. LSD is optional on both. The differential assemblies for the 500 and 500h are interchangeable.
Old 11-12-23, 10:39 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
Answers to Questions:

1. No - The same ratios.

2. Again, Both the same.

3. Again, Both Inspiration and normal LC500 have the same gearing. As stated earlier in this thread, the LC500 and the LC500h have different gearing, both in the transmission and in the differential. The LC500 has a 10 speed transmission the LC500h has a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that mimics gears. The differential gear ratios are LC500 = 2.937 the LC500h = 3.357. LSD is optional on both. The differential assemblies for the 500 and 500h are interchangeable.
Sorry for the late response of thanks. I guess only other thing that is missing from the inspiration build (mechanically) would be the lack of Yamaha performance dampers. I am assuming that this is not swappable (if I want to that is..) What is the difference and do they have any potential impact in handling with the LSD?

What I can't understand is why did Lexus did not 'allow' the inclusion of the LSD & Yamaha Performance Dampers on the bespoke editions? I am absolutely baffled.

Quick Reply: Replacing LC500 torsen diff with LC500h one!