LC Model (2018-present)

First Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-19 | 07:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Default First Service

Went in to the dealer and had the first & second service performed. Somewhere I read that after break-in, I'm @ 2500 Miles, Lexus can raise the redline from 7000 to 7300 RPM. The Service Writer knew nothing about this. But, when I got the car back, and looked at the Tach, the redline had indeed changed Everything was routine. In the future I will be changing my own oil as I have been doing for the past 60 odd years

Lou
The following users liked this post:
guanche2k9 (09-07-19)
Old 09-07-19 | 10:46 PM
Wkl01
Driver School Candidate

Why did you do it early. The oil change?
Old 09-08-19 | 06:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Yes

Lou
Old 09-08-19 | 08:09 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

After 1 year I'm at 700 or so miles. Will have 2nd oil change locally at Toyota this week since my Lexus dealer is 200 miles away. Can I do the 7300 adjustment yet, and do you suppose the Toyota dealer can do it?
Old 09-08-19 | 08:12 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by flowrider
Went in to the dealer and had the first & second service performed. Somewhere I read that after break-in, I'm @ 2500 Miles, Lexus can raise the redline from 7000 to 7300 RPM. The Service Writer knew nothing about this. But, when I got the car back, and looked at the Tach, the redline had indeed changed Everything was routine. In the future I will be changing my own oil as I have been doing for the past 60 odd years

Lou
Are you going to be putting in conventional oil or will you be switching to full synthetic? I know there's a full thread about this, just curious what you're looking to do. I've gone through my first two services with conventional, and looking to go full synthetic moving forward.
Old 09-08-19 | 08:17 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Are you going to be putting in conventional oil or will you be switching to full synthetic? I know there's a full thread about this, just curious what you're looking to do. I've gone through my first two services with conventional, and looking to go full synthetic moving forward.
My Toyota people are pushing me to Mobile 1. I have no problem with the extra $20. But does Lexus actually say no?
Old 09-10-19 | 08:19 PM
Wkl01
Driver School Candidate

Lexus recommends conventional When I pressed the service person, they said it was the same on the RC with this engine. Viscosity was mentioned as a reason why but aren’t both conventional and synthetic are available in the desired viscosities?
Old 09-11-19 | 12:48 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Synthetic is superior for the LC in every way except for price. Refer to the Standard vs Synthetic thread already in this LC Forum.
Old 09-11-19 | 12:54 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Here is what I stated in the previous thread.

I've been involved with the automotive oil industry and heard more half baked experts and truths than I can shake a stick at. The fact is, synthetic oil outperforms even a high quality standard oil for engines such as the one in our LC - no question - dare I say ALL engines. Only a few Mazda rotary engines are better served by standard oils for reasons I won't get into here.

Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous: Better low and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes. Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. Conventional oils break down and begin offering poor performance much more quickly than synthetic oils. This means they offer poorer overall engine protection, and can lower the lifespan of your engine. Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.

That being said, it is NOT recommended to extend the oil change interval from the Lexus recommended interval. Oil changes are not only intended to refresh the oil, but to also remove any impurities such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid that are byproducts of the combustion process that cannot be removed with filters alone.

Don't get me wrong, high quality standard oils can be very good as well. Just not AS good as synthetic. For the small amount of cost increase to use a synthetic oil, the extra security is well worth it in my opinion. Ask for synthetic specifically when you get you oil changed.

I always get a laugh at people that will spend thousands of dollars to prevent a rock chip in their paint but balk at the comparatively minuscule cost increase for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Skip a couple Starbucks each month and go for the good stuff.

My 2 cents worth.
The following 4 users liked this post by DRGibbons:
CHW1 (09-19-19), guanche2k9 (09-12-19), Oilman (09-13-19), web4488 (09-12-19)
Old 09-20-19 | 05:23 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
Here is what I stated in the previous thread.

I've been involved with the automotive oil industry and heard more half baked experts and truths than I can shake a stick at. The fact is, synthetic oil outperforms even a high quality standard oil for engines such as the one in our LC - no question - dare I say ALL engines. Only a few Mazda rotary engines are better served by standard oils for reasons I won't get into here.

Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous: Better low and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes. Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. Conventional oils break down and begin offering poor performance much more quickly than synthetic oils. This means they offer poorer overall engine protection, and can lower the lifespan of your engine. Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.

That being said, it is NOT recommended to extend the oil change interval from the Lexus recommended interval. Oil changes are not only intended to refresh the oil, but to also remove any impurities such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid that are byproducts of the combustion process that cannot be removed with filters alone.

Don't get me wrong, high quality standard oils can be very good as well. Just not AS good as synthetic. For the small amount of cost increase to use a synthetic oil, the extra security is well worth it in my opinion. Ask for synthetic specifically when you get you oil changed.

I always get a laugh at people that will spend thousands of dollars to prevent a rock chip in their paint but balk at the comparatively minuscule cost increase for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Skip a couple Starbucks each month and go for the good stuff.

My 2 cents worth.
So you recommend 5K miles oil change interval instead of 7.5K miles? thx.
Old 09-21-19 | 05:10 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Absolutely
Old 09-23-19 | 03:28 PM
timrudy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wkl01
Lexus recommends conventional When I pressed the service person, they said it was the same on the RC with this engine. Viscosity was mentioned as a reason why but aren’t both conventional and synthetic are available in the desired viscosities?
These new engines have much tighter bearing clearances and higher oil pressures than older engines. So the oil needs to be thinner. It is my understanding that the Mobile 1 synthetic (and some others) have more lubricity than conventional oils at these lighter viscosities. If you are talking 80/90 gear lube that might be a different thing, but at these light viscosities on modern engines, I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my LC. And I don't do it to get longer service intervals. Changing your oil and filter at 5K miles or so removes contaminants that get into the oil via piston ring blow by, some direct injection soot, and other issues that 12.3:1 compression, variable valve timing, dual and port injected multi mode engines have.

Last edited by timrudy; 10-16-19 at 06:24 AM.