New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 05:14 PM
Jonota
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

Hello All!

We are the proud owners of a new-to-us 2018 LC500. Looking forward to a long and happy time with this car. Already picked up a lot from the forum, such as today had the dealer program the dealer-only options list to our preferences (and finally turned off that obnoxious reverse ding!).

When we bought the car it had a known vibration. During the walkaround/test drive I noted it as well as some adhesive on the front left rim where wheel weights used to be, so I banked on that being the issue. We got all the rims balanced, but unfortunately no change (although they reported all 4 had been out of balance, in particular the one missing weights). I checked out the tires a little more closely at that point, and noted unusual wear on the inner tread of the front right. After failing miserably to get another retailer to align the car, we ended up going to the local Lexus dealer, which was a pleasant experience. The vibration is almost completely gone at this point, but I believe the noise that is left is from the tire wear. The service reported the rear tires nearing end of life (5/32"), so I might as well invest in a full set.

I've seen a few threads complain about the stock tires, but not name them specifically. Our has the Bridgestones on it. There don't appear to be many options out there. There are a few "off brand" in the sizes we need, none of which are run-flat. ALL of the tires the big box stores list are all run flat and all high performance/summer only tires. While I don't plan on driving crazy in the winter, I DO intend to take it out as long as the roads are decent in the cold weather. What is the general consensus on RFT or NO, and All season (off brand only) vs. name brand (summer only) tires? Please don't reply with snide comments about affording tires on an expensive car, I can easily afford the ~$2000 in "recommended" tires, I'm trying to find the best route forward. Of all of the tire qualities that are typically listed, we're actually MOST interested in a smooth quiet ride (expensive or not).

Thoughts?
Jon
Old 10-14-19, 05:31 PM
Oilman
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Congratulations on your new ride. It is a great looking car. IMO, I think Michelin run flats are the right choice for tires on this car. My LC has the Bridgestone run flats which are fine, no balance or rough issues but I had Michelin run flats on my BMW M6 and they were clearly the best tires I've ever had. I'm sure to go Michelin when the LC needs tires.
Old 10-14-19, 09:35 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine has the 21" DUNLOP SP SPORT MAXX and they seem fine.
Old 10-14-19, 09:40 PM
LC500NV
Rookie

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on the LC. I have Bridgestones on mine and they are terrible.....so little grip and horrible ride. I have always gotten rid of the run flats that were OEM on my previous cars (Corvettes, mostly). The ride and handling have always improved dramatically once the change was made. I always carry a compressor and repair kit in my cars and (knock on wood) I've never had a tire issue. I don't know if the Michelins are better than the Bridgestones on the LC, the but the Michelin's on my C7 were like cement. It was like a different car once I dumped them. I have ordered some custom forged wheels for my LC and once they get here, I will be going with some non-runflat Michelins PS4S's. I did go with slightly wider wheels to take advantage of the larger selection of tire sizes. I'm not sure but I believe the only non-runflat tires in OEM sizes for the LC are Pirellis. Not my favorite brand, but if I were staying with the stock wheels, I would probably give those a try. Gotta be better than the RF Bridgestones.

The LC is an amazing car but I think the runflats really limit it's potential in both handling and comfort. FWIW, only about 6K miles on my car and they seem to be wearing well. Regardless, can't wait to be rid of them.
Old 10-15-19, 07:48 AM
Jonota
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there appear to be few options. I'm not opposed to non-run flats, and LC500NV I tend to agree that the ride is better on non-run flats. Anyone know what kind of stretch you can get on the stock rims? Other options are available if you go a little wider or a little taller, for instance some Toyo Proxes in the same tire height if the rim can handle .8" more width.
Old 10-15-19, 11:04 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Congrats and welcome!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-15-19, 12:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonota
Yes there appear to be few options. I'm not opposed to non-run flats, and LC500NV I tend to agree that the ride is better on non-run flats. Anyone know what kind of stretch you can get on the stock rims? Other options are available if you go a little wider or a little taller, for instance some Toyo Proxes in the same tire height if the rim can handle .8" more width.
There's really not a lot you can do to enhance tire sizes on the LC. The wheels are just too narrow Unlike the RCF and GSF which come with 9s and 10s. The LCs come with 8½" & 9½" front to back. I went with Vossen wheels, 9½" & 10½" with MPS4S, 255/40/21 and 295/35/21. So much better than stock.

Lou
Old 10-15-19, 12:55 PM
LC500NV
Rookie

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
There's really not a lot you can do to enhance tire sizes on the LC. The wheels are just too narrow Unlike the RCF and GSF which come with 9s and 10s. The LCs come with 8½" & 9½" front to back. I went with Vossen wheels, 9½" & 10½" with MPS4S, 255/40/21 and 295/35/21. So much better than stock.

Lou
Yep. Same wheel and tire sizes I’m going with as well.
Old 10-15-19, 01:06 PM
dinobantin
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrat with your new buy.. Welcome to the Lc fam........ with mine I had to switch to Micheline on vosson ... so i don't have such issue.
Old 10-16-19, 08:06 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Congratulations! Enjoy!
Old 10-16-19, 05:17 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Congrats, beautiful car, welcome!
Old 10-18-19, 09:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Although not the same car nor the same wheel I can attest to how much of a better ride getting rid of the run flats makes. Their noisy and ride like ****. RF Bridgestones have pretty poor ratings as well. On the SC430 it is one of the best improvements. Many actually go to a slightly larger sidewall as well. I did this and it was huge improvement. Stock for us is a 245/40/18 and most go with a 245/45/18. I went with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus as it's a fantastic all season. Michelin is also a favorite. Anyway, just thought I would share my experience. Congrats on a lovely car. Getting rid of the RF's will help a lot.