Test Drove an LC - Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 04:44 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Test Drove an LC - Feedback Needed

Hello folks,

I test drove a pre-owned '18 LC500 w/ Performance Pckg yesterday with 12k km/7.5k mi on the clock. There were a few things I found a bit odd, so I wanted to check with the LC crowd to understand if the behavior is normal and get some feedback. Sorry for the long post.

Background: I have a '14 IS F currently, but after 4.5y of ownership I feel it's time to move on. This is my current benchmark for performance, sights and sounds, handling, luxury, reliability and value.

Infotainment: I'm sure this gets discussed a lot, and is a complaint on most of the reviews I've watched. Coming from a more analogue/button-based car, it took me a while to get oriented with the system. I found it frustrating and counter-intuitive. How long has it taken you to familiarize with it?

Transmission: The car jerked when shifting into reverse. If I recall, it squatted as well, perhaps only slightly, the brakes groaned a little like an old ship, plus the aforementioned minor jerk. Is this normal behavior of the transmission? Otherwise, all other gears felt normal and lightning quick.

Brakes: Initial pedal application was rather spongy, comparing to my IS F with ceramic pads. More importantly, as I brought the car to a full stop (stop-n-go traffic), there was a notable wobble back-and-forth right at the point of stopping. Think: worn shocks, car bouncing. Does your LC do this?

Interior wear/tear: The carbon scuff plates were, well.. scuffed up. I even touched them myself when getting out. I'd definitely want to PPF mine to keep them looking new. In addition, I noted some wear on the upper sections of the B pillar, and window weather stripping on the exterior. How is your LC holding up?

All the little oddities aside, what a special car this is. The looks, the interior.. The 10spd compliments the 2UR-GSE so well, and the stock exhaust is incredible. I see a lot of value in this car, compared to others I've looked at. I felt that it was a little slower than my ISF, and I could feel that extra heft it carries. Don't worry, I know that's an apples to mangoes comparison, and that the LC is in a class miles apart from the IS. If I do end up with one, it will certainly require tinted glass - it gets too much attention on the road!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-19, 06:10 AM
patcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M4rk
Hello folks,

I test drove a pre-owned '18 LC500 w/ Performance Pckg yesterday with 12k km/7.5k mi on the clock. There were a few things I found a bit odd, so I wanted to check with the LC crowd to understand if the behavior is normal and get some feedback. Sorry for the long post.

Background: I have a '14 IS F currently, but after 4.5y of ownership I feel it's time to move on. This is my current benchmark for performance, sights and sounds, handling, luxury, reliability and value.

Infotainment: I'm sure this gets discussed a lot, and is a complaint on most of the reviews I've watched. Coming from a more analogue/button-based car, it took me a while to get oriented with the system. I found it frustrating and counter-intuitive. How long has it taken you to familiarize with it?

Transmission: The car jerked when shifting into reverse. If I recall, it squatted as well, perhaps only slightly, the brakes groaned a little like an old ship, plus the aforementioned minor jerk. Is this normal behavior of the transmission? Otherwise, all other gears felt normal and lightning quick.

Brakes: Initial pedal application was rather spongy, comparing to my IS F with ceramic pads. More importantly, as I brought the car to a full stop (stop-n-go traffic), there was a notable wobble back-and-forth right at the point of stopping. Think: worn shocks, car bouncing. Does your LC do this?

Interior wear/tear: The carbon scuff plates were, well.. scuffed up. I even touched them myself when getting out. I'd definitely want to PPF mine to keep them looking new. In addition, I noted some wear on the upper sections of the B pillar, and window weather stripping on the exterior. How is your LC holding up?

All the little oddities aside, what a special car this is. The looks, the interior.. The 10spd compliments the 2UR-GSE so well, and the stock exhaust is incredible. I see a lot of value in this car, compared to others I've looked at. I felt that it was a little slower than my ISF, and I could feel that extra heft it carries. Don't worry, I know that's an apples to mangoes comparison, and that the LC is in a class miles apart from the IS. If I do end up with one, it will certainly require tinted glass - it gets too much attention on the road!

Thanks in advance!
That is a beauty. I may be a little prejudiced as I just purchased the identical car here in Minnesota. Ultra white, tan interior, performance package, with just over 2000 miles on the clock. Of the oddities that you mention, I have only noticed the infotainment learning curve and the brake feel. I am coming from a 2010 ZR1 with Brembos that were the best brakes ever, for me. There is definitely a unique feel to the LC brakes but not hard to get used to. I have read somewhere that they tweaked both the brakes and the transmission on the '19 model. Because of that I considered a used '19 but the prices were about 15K more for not much of a difference. They included Apple Play in '19 but that is available to be added to the '18, at the dealer, for $199 if one desires. Both my wife and I love everything about the LC. It is so much more comfortable than the ZR1. My wife loves the tan interior and I have to admit that it has the look and quality of an ultra high end private jet. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-03-19, 10:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I also came from an ISF, a FBO 2008 that I had for 11 years. I went with a brand new 2018 LC in June of this year.

Actually all commercial reviews and most consumer reviews that I have read or watched mention this. It is the chief item of criticism mentioned by the reviewers. Fo me, yes, I don't particular care for it. But, I am learning to live with it.

My transmission does not jerk in the way you describe. And YES, shifts are very very fast, especially in "Sport S" or "Sport S+". My brakes do not "groan".

The pads on My ISF were Ferodo DS2500 in front and PM +800C in back. Excellent pedal feel and brake reaction. The LC brakes also feel somewhat spongy to me and I am not a fan of the feel. Performance, however seems to be OK. The fluid is a bit low, however. I am planing a visit to the dealer soon, and will address that with them. I am also doing bit of research on pad alternatives.

I have the standard scuff plates on my LC, and have not noticed any wear. There is no other wear on the interior. I now have 2800 miles on mine. Note: Most of those miles were incurred on my trip back to Arizona from Nebraska. I bought the car in Nebraska.

My LC has PPE headers and dual mode exhaust, making the sound even "more so." The new exhaust also adds more beans. My ISF was indeed quick, so is this car. And YES, it is SPECIAL I have also added wider wheels and wider Michelin PS4S tires. Handling is now much improved.

Lou
Old 11-04-19, 03:48 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I appreciate the feedback, guys.

Lou, you confirmed my overall impression of the brakes, however, does your LC exhibit some front to rear rocking/sway as you come to a full stop in traffic?
Old 11-04-19, 07:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Not that I have noticed. I usually drive in Sport S mode, sometimes in Sport S+. Maybe firming up the shocks in those modes masks what you are feeling.

Lou
Old 11-04-19, 08:48 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove a 20 today (have previously driven a 19)...no issues of any kind on either, but I sure wish they offered optional massaging seats and dual pane glass.

Last edited by 052SI; 11-04-19 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (11-08-19)
Old 11-05-19, 05:21 PM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I have noticed the rocking issue with my car. I am not concerned about it.

I bought my car new with no miles so it is not worn shocks.

Puertex

Last edited by Puertex; 11-05-19 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-08-19, 08:49 AM
MoarLow
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello folks,

Thanks in advance!
I think these cars are beautiful, but I'd want a car that is also just as engaging for the price point. My RCF feels very heavy and I can imagine the LC is similar or heavier and you can definitely feel that driving.
Old 11-08-19, 01:21 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MoarLow
I think these cars are beautiful, but I'd want a car that is also just as engaging for the price point. My RCF feels very heavy and I can imagine the LC is similar or heavier and you can definitely feel that driving.
The LC is heavy, but does not feel or drive heavy. I think this is due to the precise and high quality steering. The car feels and steers lighter than my Corvettes.
The following 2 users liked this post by hoonose:
Frog98 (11-08-19), LC500NV (11-08-19)
Old 11-08-19, 02:04 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MoarLow
I felt same way you do about the RCF and initially dismissed the LC as being the same only heavier. I should have test driven it before I made up my mind. The way it goes around corners with the 4 wheel steering with the performance package is shocking to me. So confidence inspiring.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (11-08-19)
Old 11-08-19, 02:16 PM
patcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
I felt same way you do about the RCF and initially dismissed the LC as being the same only heavier. I should have test driven it before I made up my mind. The way it goes around corners with the 4 wheel steering with the performance package is shocking to me. So confidence inspiring.
Double dittos to that and the prior post. The 4 wheel steering is eerily effective at high speed and so nice at crawl speed u-turns. My 2010 ZR1 used to chirp, skip, and complain at tight slow speed maneuvering. No such result from the LC. The ZR1 had much wider tires but the LC seemingly corners better at all speeds. Unless one is looking for a dedicated track car, IMO, the LC represents the best value and most elegant offering in the "luxury grand touring sports car" category, if there is such a category. It is such a pleasure to drive, anywhere!
The following 6 users liked this post by patcat:
DRGibbons (11-08-19), Frog98 (11-08-19), LC500NV (11-08-19), Puertex (11-08-19), signdetres (11-08-19), SuperGT (11-10-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-09-19, 04:40 AM
hyboost
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

I went from a full bolt-on ISF to GSF to LC and I agree with the comments above. LC is by far the most fun of the 3 around corners with Perf Package and rear wheel steering. You definitely feel the weight in a straight line though and ISF “felt” quicker and more raw. 10sp transmission in LC is my favorite of the 3 cars, especially on quick downshifts. It’s no dual clutch PDK, but lightyears better than the sloppy and slow GSF shifts (I liked the GSF the least of the 3 overall).

LC isn’t going to win many drag races but that’s not it’s intent for me. Roll the windows down, listen to the mellow growl and enjoy some on-ramps. For crazy speed on streets I have another toy, and for track fun there is a dedicated car too.

To the original post: mine sways when stopping too, scuff plates have PPF so definitely needed, and B pillar could take a beating of you don’t use the strap on seat and let the belt fling back and hit the alcantara.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-19, 05:48 PM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts
Default I test drove one today....

and I was really hoping to fall in love with the car. The cold start was music to my ears!!! The acceleration was strong and the handling in the cloverleafs was fully acceptable. It has very nice curb appeal.
I did not hear any brakes squealing or feel any judder. The ride was a bit stiff but not objectionable. I did hear a few rattles.

The deal breaker for me was the seat bolsters which were very annoying up high in sides at chest level. Also, the seat side bolsters were a wee bit tight. I am a big guy, but not too big (5'11" - 205) and do a fair amount of upper body strength training exercises. After a 30 minute drive,I was more than ready to get out of the seat. I also felt the entire cockpit are was a bit small. I say this coming from a 911 that was a bit more difficult on ingress/egress but once in the seat, felt roomier.

I wish I fit better because I did like the driving experience. Not 911'ish, but fully capable and fun. And did I mention the exhaust?

My $.02

Al
Old 11-09-19, 06:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You must have been driven one with the Sport or Performance package, the one's with the Alcantara seats. I agree with you on the bolstering. I also do not like the use of Alcantara material in the seating surfaces. Try an LC with the Touring package and the full Semi-Aniline perforated leather front seats. Much more comfortable IMHO, and my choice is, and was, full leather. Both the Base & Touring Package seats do not have the constricting upper bolsters.

Lou
Old 11-10-19, 06:34 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^You must have been driven one with the Sport or Performance package, the one's with the Alcantara seats. I agree with you on the bolstering. I also do not like the use of Alcantara material in the seating surfaces. Try an LC with the Touring package and the full Semi-Aniline perforated leather front seats. Much more comfortable IMHO, and my choice is, and was, full leather. Both the Base & Touring Package seats do not have the constricting upper bolsters.

Lou
I don't know. I'm 5'7" and 170 lbs. The touring side bolsters fit me perfectly. But they are rather rigid and I was wondering if someone large might feel too constricted. A bit surprising to me that they aren't adjustable like the Vette.

Quick Reply: Test Drove an LC - Feedback Needed