LC Model (2018-present)

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 10:28 AM
web4488
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
My 2011 BMW 528i never gave me any issues. I had 80K miles on it. I'd expect to replace some gaskets (because those BMW's run atrociously hot for emissions, which ruins the spark plugs, ignition coils, seals and gaskets faster than usual) and probably the water pump by 100k or so, but the engine itself was like a brick in terms of build quality. The drivetrain and whole car was so solid.
I still have my 2011 BMW X6 and it's been a good car. It has 102K miles on the odometer. Haven't had any monstrous repair issues yet. Will likely dump it when the inevitable occurs.
Old 12-19-19, 01:18 PM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
If "Comfort driving" is your ultimate goal, neither LC nor M850 are your car!
I hear you about the tiny lag...But I barely drive in comfort mode. TBH, I almost can't tell the difference between comfort mode in LC and the normal mode anyways.
There are cheaper/more expensive (300k+ focusing on comfy) and more comfortable alternatives, just saying. At this price level, you also want it to be 0 lag in any modes, plus comfy, plus looks, plus spiritual...it's almost impossible. IMO, most sports/GT cars approaching 100k level or above are nothing but compromises - they wanna offer a bit of everything, yet cannot deliver all in equal.
I understand what you said. But unfortunately, comfy, looks, spirituals do not have conflicts with the transmission lag.
Cars can look good with any transmissions, and comfy is more about suspension, seats, tires, and in normal mode, the trans will make sure the car is running in low rpm and not aggressively downshift.
My point is that: in any mode, if the trans computer or the human drive decides to shift, and there is the obvious lag, that is simply the fault of the trans. If Lexus can put a Porsche PDK in LC, does it hurt the comfy, look, or spiritual of LC? No, it will only make LC a better car,
Old 12-19-19, 09:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^^I guess I'll say it again. I do not experience any transmission lag when in Sport S or Sport S+. It bang down shifts for me.

Lou
Old 12-19-19, 09:38 PM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I guess I'll say it again. I do not experience any transmission lag when in Sport S or Sport S+. It bang down shifts for me.

Lou
It is all about subjective feelings. Good for you if it does not bother you. You can compare it to some dual-clutch trans and might be able to feel the difference.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/35295...500-pros-cons/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The LC 500’s transmission uses a first-gear lockout feature to facilitate smoother takeoffs, but the sluggish acceleration from a stop can give you the impression this car isn’t as powerful or quick as it really is. Yes, you can bypass the lockout by pushing harder on the accelerator, but that means you’re never surprised by the LC 500’s accelerative force because it has to be intentionally summoned. Likewise, when left in auto mode, the transmission felt hesitant to downshift quickly or deeply enough unless your right foot was pushed past the point of propriety. This behavior was slightly less prominent in the car’s two sport modes, but still there. Fortunately, you can shift gears yourself in manual mode using the LC 500’s sublime paddle shifters.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------