LC Model (2018-present)

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 11:43 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission

Now that the 19's have been out for a year has the reprogramming of the trans corrected all the issues?
Thx
Old 12-10-19, 08:10 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Update: test drove another new 19 lc today and found the trans to shift smoothly/quickly during most styles of driving, but the downshifts in auto/comf. mode during spirited but not aggressive driving creates the known lag issue, which appears not to have been resolved. We were the first to test the vehicle as it was a late 19 and just arrived off the truck 2 days ago w/14 miles so learning curve of trans was not affected by previous drivers and it had the latest sw.
Old 12-10-19, 08:57 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^^Confused Spirited driving in Comfort Mode The Eco and Comfort Modes are not meant for "spirited" driving. I Have a 2018 and drive mostly in Sport Mode, sometimes in Sport+. When freeway driving I use Normal Mode so it will shift into 10th. When in Sport or Sport+ there is no lag for me

Lou
The following users liked this post:
LC500NV (12-20-19)
Old 12-10-19, 09:28 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Confused Spirited driving in Comfort Mode The Eco and Comfort Modes are not meant for "spirited" driving. I Have a 2018 and drive mostly in Sport Mode, sometimes in Sport+. When freeway driving I use Normal Mode so it will shift into 10th. When in Sport or Sport+ there is no lag for me

Lou
Spirited is not aggressive, and was mentioned as such. There should be no lag in comfort mode either. Tested a 2019 m850 0 lag no matter the setting and always super smooth, very impressive vehicle but lacks the LC's looks yet makes up in the driving experience.in comfort and performance.
Old 12-11-19, 07:48 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
Spirited is not aggressive, and was mentioned as such. There should be no lag in comfort mode either. Tested a 2019 m850 0 lag no matter the setting and always super smooth, very impressive vehicle but lacks the LC's looks yet makes up in the driving experience.in comfort and performance.
If "Comfort driving" is your ultimate goal, neither LC nor M850 are your car!
I hear you about the tiny lag...But I barely drive in comfort mode. TBH, I almost can't tell the difference between comfort mode in LC and the normal mode anyways.
There are cheaper/more expensive (300k+ focusing on comfy) and more comfortable alternatives, just saying. At this price level, you also want it to be 0 lag in any modes, plus comfy, plus looks, plus spiritual...it's almost impossible. IMO, most sports/GT cars approaching 100k level or above are nothing but compromises - they wanna offer a bit of everything, yet cannot deliver all in equal.
Old 12-11-19, 08:12 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
I hear you about the tiny lag...But I barely drive in comfort mode. TBH, I almost can't tell the difference between comfort mode in LC and the normal mode anyways.
There are cheaper/more expensive (300k+ focusing on comfy) and more comfortable alternatives, just saying. At this price level, you also want it to be 0 lag in any modes, plus comfy, plus looks, plus spiritual...it's almost impossible. IMO, most sports/GT cars approaching 100k level or above are nothing but compromises - they wanna offer a bit of everything, yet cannot deliver all in equal.
We found the LC very comfortable in its driving characteristics and it was designed to be as such....the same can be said of the 850, both a large heavy GT's designed for straight line speed with luxury and comfort.
Old 12-11-19, 08:29 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
We found the LC very comfortable in its driving characteristics and it was designed to be as such....the same can be said of the 850, both a large heavy GT's designed for straight line speed with luxury and comfort.
I haven't test driven m850 yet. As far as LC's comfy level, at least for my 21" wheels and tires, the ride can be a bit rough depending on the road condition. LC is the roughest Lexus I have ever driven (haven't tried LFA yet). However, if we are talking about the package of luxury, price, comfy and looks, as I mentioned above, LC is one of the best packages of compromises on the road.
Old 12-11-19, 08:55 AM
052SI
Pole Position

I haven't test driven m850 yet. As far as LC's comfy level, at least for my 21" wheels and tires, the ride can be a bit rough depending on the road condition. LC is the roughest Lexus I have ever driven (haven't tried LFA yet). However, if we are talking about the package of luxury, price, comfy and looks, as I mentioned above, LC is one of the best packages of compromises on the road.
Drove another last night , super smooth even on the 21's. The exhaust can be a bit loud and the seats aren't the most comfortable, but a great vehicle.
Old 12-11-19, 09:17 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Couldnt agree more.

You'd get away with something like a Mazda 6 , simple, comfortable, cheap, good on gas, fun to drive. I have one. quality japanese engineering. It's a fantastic vehicle.
Old 12-11-19, 01:43 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I would take a LC500 over M850. Don't have the time to deal with BMW's infamous reliability. I would rather have something reliable (LC500) and give up a little performance.

With that being said, I would take a 2020 Porsche 992 (~$120K lightly optioned) over the M850 any day of the week.

Old 12-11-19, 03:09 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had a 2018 718 GTS and a 2018 M550i. I much prefer the comfort, safety features, dealer service, and sound of my 2020 LC 500 w/performance package. I know it's a tiny bit slower, but I don't notice the difference on city streets. The LC with 4 wheel steering makes it feel amazing around corners. Transmission is an improvement from my 2015 RC F. It's not quite a Porsche PDK though.
Old 12-11-19, 03:16 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexsc4
I would take a LC500 over M850. Don't have the time to deal with BMW's infamous reliability. I would rather have something reliable (LC500) and give up a little performance.

With that being said, I would take a 2020 Porsche 992 (~$120K lightly optioned) over the M850 any day of the week.
BMW isn't reliable enough, so i"d rather take the Porsche?

I think i'd rather have the Porsche too, because of it's handling, but that statement still doesn't make any sense.

I think both the LC500 and M850i are both great cars in their own regard. each one offers it's own compelling package.
Old 12-11-19, 03:29 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moisture
BMW isn't reliable enough, so i"d rather take the Porsche?

I think i'd rather have the Porsche too, because of it's handling, but that statement still doesn't make any sense.

I think both the LC500 and M850i are both great cars in their own regard. each one offers it's own compelling package.
Haha.

What I meant is if I am willing to forgo reliability over driving pleasure, while spending over $120K, I will take the 992 over the LC500/M850 any day of the week. Now, back to reality, as a daily driver, I will take the LC500.
Old 12-11-19, 03:55 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexsc4
Haha.

What I meant is if I am willing to forgo reliability over driving pleasure, while spending over $120K, I will take the 992 over the LC500/M850 any day of the week. Now, back to reality, as a daily driver, I will take the LC500.
I agree with your thought process. However, being a previous BMW owner, which happened to be my first car which I did extensive research/forum surfing on, I can confirm that BMW's reliability reputation is GROSSLY misinterpreted. Basically speaking, as long as you avoid 4 cylinder or V8 BMW (stick to the inline 6 cylinder) you're going to have yourself a car which is almost entirely trouble-free while obviously being quite enjoyable to drive. BMW's lesser than the 5 series and x5 have questionable build quality however.

Their straight 6's are built on an extremely high level of engineering quality comparable to the best Japanese engines. it's just the crappy plastic bits and complex electronic bits around the bullerproof block itself which tend to break over time.
Old 12-11-19, 04:32 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moisture
I agree with your thought process. However, being a previous BMW owner, which happened to be my first car which I did extensive research/forum surfing on, I can confirm that BMW's reliability reputation is GROSSLY misinterpreted. Basically speaking, as long as you avoid 4 cylinder or V8 BMW (stick to the inline 6 cylinder) you're going to have yourself a car which is almost entirely trouble-free while obviously being quite enjoyable to drive. BMW's lesser than the 5 series and x5 have questionable build quality however.

Their straight 6's are built on an extremely high level of engineering quality comparable to the best Japanese engines. it's just the crappy plastic bits and complex electronic bits around the bullerproof block itself which tend to break over time.
Completely agree. I had a 2000 E39 540i and it was a pleasure to drive when it runs in optimal condition (meaning not at the shop). Those small issue (mostly electronics) here and there are just PITA. After the E39 was totaled by another driver, went straight to a 2001 SC400 and never looked back.

Quick Reply: Transmission