LC Model (2018-present)

Scratches under front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 08:21 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Scratches under front end

Maybe they're inevitable with this car. Especially with my steep driveway.

I had the car flat bedded for some warranty work and it returned with scratches under there, most likely from that embossed diamond surface pattern of the tow truck bed surface. You have to get down on your hands and knees to see it. Lexus has offered to pay for touch up, but maybe I'll just let it go.

How long can one go without scratching this area?
Old 12-20-19, 11:44 AM
anchaf3
Pit Crew

Received 117 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonose
Maybe they're inevitable with this car. Especially with my steep driveway.

I had the car flat bedded for some warranty work and it returned with scratches under there, most likely from that embossed diamond surface pattern of the tow truck bed surface. You have to get down on your hands and knees to see it. Lexus has offered to pay for touch up, but maybe I'll just let it go.

How long can one go without scratching this area?
It is inevitable. It used to bother me a lot but I got over it. My bother (a dodge viper owner), who was a car guy long before I, told me to get used to the small paint chips, scratches under the bumper, etc. It's just a part of driving, and although my LC is garage kept and maintained well, I do drive it hard. I bought it for fun, not for display! I did buy Scrape Armor to help with the same problem you're having, but this was after many episodes of dragging the car on driveways, highway dips, etc. Scrape Armor does a good job. I only wish I had installed it earlier!

https://www.scrapearmor.com/products/lexus-lc500-2017

The following users liked this post:
Exhilr8n (12-21-19)
Old 12-20-19, 11:59 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anchaf3
It is inevitable. It used to bother me a lot but I got over it. My bother (a dodge viper owner), who was a car guy long before I, told me to get used to the small paint chips, scratches under the bumper, etc. It's just a part of driving, and although my LC is garage kept and maintained well, I do drive it hard. I bought it for fun, not for display! I did buy Scrape Armor to help with the same problem you're having, but this was after many episodes of dragging the car on driveways, highway dips, etc. Scrape Armor does a good job. I only wish I had installed it earlier!

I'd seen that gizmo before. But then it scrapes instead.

One of these days I might see if I can get someone to use my touch up kit on it. Very hard for me with a bad back. I can't see doing a full on repair, even though Lexus said they'd pay for it.
Old 12-20-19, 12:08 PM
anchaf3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hoonose
I'd seen that gizmo before. But then it scrapes instead.

One of these days I might see if I can get someone to use my touch up kit on it. Very hard for me with a bad back. I can't see doing a full on repair, even though Lexus said they'd pay for it.
The scrape armor definitely will get scraped up. But it is a hard black plastic and the scrape marks are not that noticeable, and more importantly it protects the paint. You could consider installing coil-overs and raising the ride height, or use an air lift suspension system.
Old 12-20-19, 02:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

And that's the reason I don't get a lip

Lou
Exhilr8n (12-21-19)
Old 12-20-19, 04:05 PM
anchaf3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
And that's the reason I don't get a lip

Lou
I've considered a lip as well but I know that it wouldn't last long!
Old 12-20-19, 05:06 PM
hyboost
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

I am lowered with a lip and have to be extremely careful everywhere I go. Someone years ago showed me a trick since all my cars are always very low...Home Depot makes a rugged industrial Velcro that I line the bottom of the front bumper or lips with. It doesn’t show the scrape marks but takes the impact well and keeps your car protected to a point. Inexpensive and very effective.
flowrider (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 05:15 PM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you fix your paint before you install the armor, or you just use the armor to cover it?
Old 12-20-19, 06:19 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

The scrape armor definitely will get scraped up. But it is a hard black plastic and the scrape marks are not that noticeable, and more importantly it protects the paint. You could consider installing coil-overs and raising the ride height, or use an air lift suspension system.
Way more trouble than I need right now. The new C8 front end lifter is some great deal!
Old 12-20-19, 07:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hyboost
I am lowered with a lip and have to be extremely careful everywhere I go. Someone years ago showed me a trick since all my cars are always very low...Home Depot makes a rugged industrial Velcro that I line the bottom of the front bumper or lips with. It doesn’t show the scrape marks but takes the impact well and keeps your car protected to a point. Inexpensive and very effective.
This:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-B...0593/202261931

Also at Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/VELCRO-2-in...stener/1052627

Lou
Old 12-20-19, 08:09 PM
hyboost
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

Lou, I don’t remember the exact brand and will check when I get home but it looks like this. It’s the thicker hard version and not the soft fluffy Velcro. The thick plastic teeth give tons of protection and it’s easy to cut to fit to any curves. I had it on my ISF, GSF and now LC lips. Won’t save you if you really nail it but I’ve scraped the bottom plenty on inclines or speed bumps and the Velcro took the impact.

Old 12-20-19, 09:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^The stuff I posted sorta looks like that:

Please check, I like the idea

Lou
Old 12-21-19, 05:18 AM
anchaf3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ttantioch
Did you fix your paint before you install the armor, or you just use the armor to cover it?
I just installed the scraps armor over, no paint repair
Old 12-21-19, 06:56 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by hyboost
Lou, I don’t remember the exact brand and will check when I get home but it looks like this. It’s the thicker hard version and not the soft fluffy Velcro. The thick plastic teeth give tons of protection and it’s easy to cut to fit to any curves. I had it on my ISF, GSF and now LC lips. Won’t save you if you really nail it but I’ve scraped the bottom plenty on inclines or speed bumps and the Velcro took the impact.

Yes, please check - as you know Hyboost, both you and I have the exact same setup and I know how careful I have to be when I'm entering driveways, mall entrances, gas stations, etc. I was going to install Sliplo, but decided not to, as I thought that the Sliplo product was going to decrease the clearance and eventually cause flex on my front lip. Also, hard to install when it's that low....
Old 12-21-19, 09:02 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought a universal 32'' rear bumper protector and trimmed it for the middle section under the grill area. Used universal bodyside moldings around both sides (warmed up in the oven to make them pliable) Very discrete as you only see the edge of the molding when standing in front of the car. Easy to replace when they'll get damaged. My Lambo has a suspension raise function that I like, have yet to scrape the front of that one.

Last edited by SuperGT; 12-23-19 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Scratches under front end