LC Model (2018-present)

Mark Levinson audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Anyone know how to remove the sub cover in the coupe?
Old 09-15-21, 04:18 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 620 Likes on 398 Posts

Cut the plastic out of my subwoofer cover finally.
The following 2 users liked this post by 355F1:
LeX2K (09-16-21), Mbova77 (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 04:26 PM
hkc
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2018 coupe that had similar issues emanating from the sub. Took it to dealer during routine service and they fixed it, no questions asked. Not even sure what they did but definitely fixed it.

lexus service is excellent, I wish Alfa took some notes!
Old 09-16-21, 01:17 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

After reading this, I listened for it and heard it on my 21 convertible as well. Not sure I will cut the plastic off. I think I will wait for Lexus to fix it. It is not that bad at this point for me anyway. Should be easy to do.
Old 09-16-21, 01:30 PM
RysLC500
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

ATL, I am pretty confident all verts have this issue. Its a bad design. I took the recommendations off this forum and my old man clipped off the bottom portion of the grill plastic where it rubs. And add some insulation to keep the plastic from touching the metal. I already took it to Lexus 2x and they won't fix it. They gave me a new cover to see if that helped (here's your sign lol). Read the fixes and try the ones that don't require cutting and I bet you will like the results. I only listened to my modified grill on way to airport yesterday but did sound much better. Doubt Lexus will retro fix the 2021's. But if you get them to do it let us know.
Old 09-16-21, 01:33 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RysLC500
ATL, I am pretty confident all verts have this issue. Its a bad design. I took the recommendations off this forum and my old man clipped off the bottom portion of the grill plastic where it rubs. And add some insulation to keep the plastic from touching the metal. I already took it to Lexus 2x and they won't fix it. They gave me a new cover to see if that helped (here's your sign lol). Read the fixes and try the ones that don't require cutting and I bet you will like the results. I only listened to my modified grill on way to airport yesterday but did sound much better. Doubt Lexus will retro fix the 2021's. But if you get them to do it let us know.
I will take your advice. Can’t hurt to try the fixes that don’t include cutting. Bet a bit of insulation might help.
The following users liked this post:
RysLC500 (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 02:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default was disappointed by (ML) audio system, update added

was cruising along listening to various tracks and the sound quality was just terrible. too bright and no bass, or if i play with the 3 band settings it doesn't help or makes it bad in another way. and the fader/balance only makes things worse too.

what am i missing?

my less than half the price hyundai suv has a better system.

UPDATE: after a lot of testing (USB files, different music), i've changed my assessment some.
so when i said i was cruising and listening above, it was almost all 'old' music, a lot of live performances, such as billy joel's live performance of new york state of mind. first.
i've now tested with pristine studio tracks (although with the car stationary and engine running since time was limited) and it definitely sounds better. however...
i now see that i must have been 'experimenting' and has the 'surround' setting turned on, and to me, this just makes everything worse, overly bright mids and highs, fake reverb/echo in it, etc. turning that off helped everything some too, even good ol' billy joel live.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-20-21 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 02:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Is this something you just noticed? Not being sarcastic, don't think you've mentioned this before. What is the media source?
Old 09-16-21, 03:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Is this something you just noticed? Not being sarcastic, don't think you've mentioned this before. What is the media source?
i've not listened to a ton of music in the car, and some of it sounded ok, but this trip i decided i wanted to.

the source is high quality mp3's on my phone, playing via android auto (USB connection, not bluetooth).

i am going to dump some music i know is crystal clear onto a usb thumb drive and plug that sucker in and try it soon.
Old 09-16-21, 04:00 PM
davej948
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bit - let us know what you find out with higher quality tracks. I use YouTube Music streaming and it sounds excellent to me. I get zero distortion at high volumes from my Samsung Phone via BlueTooth (I don't use the USB because it was constantly accessing the phone storage, contacts, etc and was driving me crazy). Frankly I'm afraid to crank the volume higher but it really has impressive capability.... a good test song is Thunderstruck over blue tooth from Youtube Music - plenty of treble but base is loud and punches where it should.

I do think I tweaked the sound for a while when I first got the car, and my girlfriend has an ear for how everything should be and she changes the setup on occasion. When I play EDM vs Country VS rock i do notice it requires tweaking, but by and large this system sounds as good as my Bose Home theater (that might indicate I'm not a true audiophile...but I love the sound in my car.)

Last edited by davej948; 09-16-21 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 05:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the source is high quality mp3's on my phone, playing via android auto (USB connection, not bluetooth).
In theory this should make use of the ML DACs bypassing any digital to analog process in your phone.
i am going to dump some music i know is crystal clear onto a usb thumb drive and plug that sucker in and try it soon.
Definitely do this. Does the system have a CD player? Going by pictures I found of the amplifier it is a class D which is a bit disappointing. Class D is fine for the sub channel but for the rest not so much I've yet to hear one that didn't sound a bit tinny.
Old 09-16-21, 05:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Does the grille cloth flex since there is no longer any support?
Old 09-16-21, 05:24 PM
Mbova77
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Does the grille cloth flex since there is no longer any support?
No it doesn’t.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 05:44 PM
JSM701
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
was cruising along listening to various tracks and the sound quality was just terrible. too bright and no bass, or if i play with the 3 band settings it doesn't help or makes it bad in another way. and the fader/balance only makes things worse too.

what am i missing?

my less than half the price hyundai suv has a better system.
I agree, my 2021 RX450H with the premium audio sounds just as good as my LC with the ML. I use a USB with music downloaded from good quality sources.
Old 09-16-21, 06:15 PM
Realcanuk
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually find the system quite good. I listen to Sirius and other than a few hip hop stations with ridiculous bass, everything else sounds pretty good. Its not the best system around by a long shot...my Kia has better audio......but I don't find it bad at all. It took some fiddling with settings to get it to where I like it..... but no complaints now.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson audio