LC Model (2018-present)

Mark Levinson audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-21, 04:09 PM
Realcanuk
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Lexus SXM is the worst of the worst, depending on what year you have. My 2016 doesn’t even have SXM, it’s just XM & the reception is the worst of ANY car I’ve ever driven, period! It is so bad, that I canceled my subscription & I won’t renew, not even for free. Some channels are distorted sounding due to heavy compression, while others constantly drop out, even when I’m in the middle of nowhere without a tree, building or clouds. My AM radio sounds better than some SXM channels. A good strong HD FM station is far superior than SXM. My Camaro SS is also only XM, but it STILL cuts out near cell phone towers & also has severe compression distortion. We are SXM FREE!

Sorry to hear that. I listen to Siriusxm in both of my cars and have 0 issues with either. Lexus is 2021 and other a Kia 2018.
Old 09-19-21, 04:28 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

One carmaker’s approach is to provide the double din opening with a middle of the road head unit and speakers. All easy to get to and replace with whatever you want, if that is important to that particular owner. Lotus simplicity.

Old 09-19-21, 06:00 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
Just for the record, there is no such thing as "only XM" rather than SXM. Since the (ill-advised) merger in 2008 that combined XM and Sirius, the merged company has been known as SiriusXM or SXM.

The transmission, satellite systems and receivers use either the original XM technical system or the original Sirius technical system, depending on the contract signed by each automotive company long ago.

Toyota/Lexus (and GM/Chevy) have been on the original XM system since 2005 (Toyota/Lexus) or 2006 (GM) and they still use that inherited XM hardware and satellite system. Other OEMs (Ford, Mercedes, and others) are on the inherited Sirius system. Each system has its technical assets and liabilities, though the XM system (used by Toyota/Lexus) generally is regarded as the more powerful and consistent.

Regardless of the hardware system (XM or Sirius), the programming is virtually identical. (And, yes, much of the music is highly compressed, though the ill effects of that have been moderated over time.)

So, it is not a matter of your 2016 Lexus having "just XM" rather than SXM. You can call it XM or SXM - it's the same thing.
100% wrong. XM programming stops somewhere under channel 200. SXM goes well into the 300s & maybe higher. SXM has way more channels. My junk radio says XM & not SXM. The 2021 models say SXM. The merger has nothing to do with what receivers Toyota & GM installed. Our VW, Ram & Kia, all had more channels available because they were SXM. Programming is NOT identical. Toyota is the WORST & the dealer service will tell you so! They are sick of hearing complaints about it. There was a big dust up between cell phone providers & SXM over tower interference. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ute-1449787246

Did you know that SXM had to put in ground based transmission towers also due to ****-poor reception in major metro areas. They screwed those of us that live in lower density population areas. SXM can go sit on it & spin.
Old 09-19-21, 07:14 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
100% wrong. XM programming stops somewhere under channel 200. SXM goes well into the 300s & maybe higher. SXM has way more channels. My junk radio says XM & not SXM. The 2021 models say SXM. The merger has nothing to do with what receivers Toyota & GM installed. Our VW, Ram & Kia, all had more channels available because they were SXM. Programming is NOT identical. Toyota is the WORST & the dealer service will tell you so! They are sick of hearing complaints about it. There was a big dust up between cell phone providers & SXM over tower interference. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ute-1449787246

Did you know that SXM had to put in ground based transmission towers also due to ****-poor reception in major metro areas. They screwed those of us that live in lower density population areas. SXM can go sit on it & spin.
No, sir. You are lacking in knowledge about this company, its predecessors and its systems.

XM always had auxiliary relay towers; Sirius added some later. Your equipment - XM's legacy system or Sirius' legacy system - is determined solely by the manufacturer of the vehicle you are driving and the relationships that were forged during the early 2000s.

The merged SXM still runs two parallel transmission systems - one for XM legacy equipment, one for Sirius legacy equipment. From a recent PR release: "SXM-7 joins XM-3, XM-4, XM-5, FM-5, and FM-6 in SiriusXM's active satellite fleet. SXM-7 and SXM-8 together will replace XM-3 and XM-4, extending SiriusXM's satellite delivered services through at least 2036." (FM-5 and FM-6 are satellites that transmit to Sirius legacy equipment).

I said the programming is virtually the same on both systems - not exactly the same - and it is. Some equipment on some car models can receive more stations than some others.

For all intents and purposes, post 2008 merger, XM is SXM is Sirius. Period. You cannot subscribe to XM or to Sirius. You only can subscribe to SXM, because there's only one company and has been only one company for long before your 2016 Lexus was built.

There is no XM and some sort of superior SXM. It's just a matter of changing the logo as the years passed.

I was an initial XM subscriber, a significant shareholder and a contract enployee, but hey...you do you.

Last edited by redhot47fl; 09-19-21 at 08:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (09-19-21)
Old 09-19-21, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

start your own thread guys on xm vs sirius vs sirius xm

i came to HATE sirius xm because the audio quality is so bad for any 'music', and because of the ads. i finally got rid of it nearly a year ago (took probably nearly an hour on the phone to finally cancel after all their begging, offers, lies, etc. and finally me cursing at the person on the other end). now i get a mailer about every other day with a great deal for more than i was paying before. and since i didn't extend beyond trial on the lexus either, i get mailers for that too... so much waste.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
gadgetman1 (09-19-21), TerrySmith (10-25-21)
Old 09-19-21, 07:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Your car stereo probably has a decent DAC built right in that's designed for use with car speakers.
A good DAC is a good DAC doesn't matter what speakers are in the system. Perhaps they are confusing a DAC with a DSP.
Old 09-19-21, 08:06 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
start your own thread guys on xm vs sirius vs sirius xm

i came to HATE sirius xm because the audio quality is so bad for any 'music', and because of the ads. i finally got rid of it nearly a year ago (took probably nearly an hour on the phone to finally cancel after all their begging, offers, lies, etc. and finally me cursing at the person on the other end). now i get a mailer about every other day with a great deal for more than i was paying before. and since i didn't extend beyond trial on the lexus either, i get mailers for that too... so much waste.
Interesting. What stations did you listen to that had ads? SXM's own music stations are ad-free. I believe the only channels that carry ads are re-transmissions of some FM stations. (I agree that the customer service operation is pretty annoying - though, believe it or not, it's a lot better than it was in the early years).
Old 09-19-21, 10:31 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
Interesting. What stations did you listen to that had ads? SXM's own music stations are ad-free. I believe the only channels that carry ads are re-transmissions of some FM stations. (I agree that the customer service operation is pretty annoying - though, believe it or not, it's a lot better than it was in the early years).
SXM has the worst customer service (overseas that can barely speak English) that I have ever seen & the worst reception on a Mark Levinson system or any other other system. It’s just horrible compression that leaves one fatigued after listening for more than an hour. I will NEVER pay for such garbage ever again. Programming is decent on most channels, but that’s all they have going for them.

Lexus is also one of the worst manufacturers for charging for navigation map updates that are never as good or as up to date as Google Maps. Just because you pay more for something, doesn’t make it better or special.
Old 09-20-21, 10:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so i did some focused testing today on the ML and have revised my assessment - added to first post. thanks.

gadgetman, take your rants about lexus in general and sxm elsewhere. thanks.
redhot47fl (09-20-21)
Old 09-20-21, 01:45 PM
Realcanuk
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

so i did some focused testing today on the ML and have revised my assessment - added to first post. thanks.

gadgetman, take your rants about lexus in general and sxm elsewhere. thanks.

Definitely better with the surround off. I was very disappointed with the system until I realized this.
bitkahuna (09-20-21)
Old 09-20-21, 06:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Realcanuk
Definitely better with the surround off. I was very disappointed with the system until I realized this.
agreed... i've no idea what they're doing with that, but it's bad.

the lexicon i had in my genesis was awesome though in all modes. much bigger space of course though.

another observation on then LC ML is how front focused it is, and if i use the fader to push it back a bit the volume drops dramatically and if i then up the volume to compensate, it feels like the fade more back goes away... very odd.
Old 09-20-21, 07:11 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

another observation on then LC ML is how front focused it is, and if i use the fader to push it back a bit the volume drops dramatically and if i then up the volume to compensate, it feels like the fade more back goes away... very odd.
There has been argument made here that the forward focus designed into the LC is intentional, more of a higher classed stereo image like the old old days.

But I agree, it’s really odd to not be able to create an impression of surround, as though the music originates between my ears. Perfect. My last 20 vehicles had this option.

The designers of the LC made it a point to break away from convention. Green lights to indicate locked door? Creative.
Old 09-21-21, 10:18 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Exhilr8n
There has been argument made here that the forward focus designed into the LC is intentional, more of a higher classed stereo image like the old old days.

But I agree, it’s really odd to not be able to create an impression of surround, as though the music originates between my ears. Perfect. My last 20 vehicles had this option.

The designers of the LC made it a point to break away from convention. Green lights to indicate locked door? Creative.
ML system in other Lexus models is all front focused as well. Nearly no sound in the rear and proponents argue it's supposed to be that way just like you're facing a stage
Old 09-21-21, 01:26 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Back up until the 80s that’s how we listened to music. Still have a separate stereo set up at home, I get it. Would prefer options like most other cars have.

Long ago I managed to get a decent surround in a little Lotus Elise. Eventually she became a track car, no speakers etc. But for a while it had a decent sound for so much exposed aluminium inside. The LC is plenty big enough.

EDIT: drove a distance (over 30 minutes) a couple times today, first time with Tidal on Carplay in the LC. Definite improvement, and their catalog and mixes made the journey better.

Adding this edit here because that improvement showcased even more how unusual and odd the soundstage is in an LC. Just nothing coming from back, like some acoustic vacuum. In my living room even when only main front speakers and sub are on there is a pressence in the air of balance, as it is tuned across frequencies to that room.

The LC has a good system once that blurpbox grid on the subwoofer cover is excised. With the higher quality source I’m enjoying it just fine. 6 hour drive Thursday for a Tennis tournament, we are prepared entertainment wise. And the sound is nice with the top down once we get there.

Last edited by Exhilr8n; 10-12-21 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-21-21, 05:00 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts

was cruising along listening to various tracks and the sound quality was just terrible. too bright and no bass, or if i play with the 3 band settings it doesn't help or makes it bad in another way. and the fader/balance only makes things worse too.

what am i missing?

my less than half the price hyundai suv has a better system.

UPDATE: after a lot of testing (USB files, different music), i've changed my assessment some.
however...
i now see that i must have been 'experimenting' and has the 'surround' setting turned on, and to me, this just makes everything worse, overly bright mids and highs, fake reverb/echo in it, etc. turning that off helped everything some too, even good ol' billy joel live.
this has turned out to be a fascinating, informative thread showing value in collective input. mr bit's suggestion to mess with the surround sound setting is a blessing: definitely sounds better with it off. also, turn of the automatic sound levelor: it works like dolby noise reduction in attenuating the highs/lows which is exactly what you dont want. also, i have my midrange and bass a click er two higher; treble normal. try moving the fade a click er two rearward...attenuates the treble a bit. i listen exclusively to broadcast fm classical, and cd's; these are analog and as the link above provides, pure analog works the best. the problem with the ML is the source material interface with the DAC; its less than the optimal of pure analog.....great tip mr bit i'd never messed with these controls before and they did wonders... (that would be the livewire.com link above...great read. btw, for best sound, your DAC needs vacuum tubes.)

Last edited by 74Sprtstr; 09-21-21 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add
bitkahuna (09-21-21)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson audio