LC Model (2018-present)

Mark Levinson audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 05:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

bit,

Have you tried Amazon HD or Tidal (also mentioned several times in this thread)?

Amazon HD runs free trials it seems every 3 months or so; worth trying to see if you like it. Note the HD is a separate / distinct offering that costs a little more than Amazon Music / Unlimited services
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-21-21, 05:53 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 620 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by tmillLC500
this has turned out to be a fascinating, informative thread showing value in collective input. mr bit's suggestion to mess with the surround sound setting is a blessing: definitely sounds better with it off. also, turn of the automatic sound levelor: it works like dolby noise reduction in attenuating the highs/lows which is exactly what you dont want. also, i have my midrange and bass a click er two higher; treble normal. try moving the fade a click er two rearward...attenuates the treble a bit. i listen exclusively to broadcast fm classical, and cd's; these are analog and as the link above provides, pure analog works the best. the problem with the ML is the source material interface with the DAC; its less than the optimal of pure analog.....great tip mr bit i'd never messed with these controls before and they did wonders... (that would be the livewire.com link above...great read. btw, for best sound, your DAC needs vacuum tubes.)
I think it sounds better with the Surround ON. LoL

Treble: +1
Mid: +1
Bass: MAX (and it is still inadequate)

The following 3 users liked this post by 355F1:
buddhi (09-22-21), mikemu30 (09-22-21), RysLC500 (09-22-21)
Old 09-21-21, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
bit,

Have you tried Amazon HD or Tidal (also mentioned several times in this thread)?

Amazon HD runs free trials it seems every 3 months or so; worth trying to see if you like it. Note the HD is a separate / distinct offering that costs a little more than Amazon Music / Unlimited services https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd
thanks, but i have not signed up for any paid music streaming service yet. i don't really need/want to pay to have a million tracks at my disposal, but at some point i'll probably cave and do it. also, while streaming high quality audio at home or anywhere with good wifi is great of course, cell coverage around my home is spotty, so hq streaming would likely be hit an miss too. i guess you can download for offline listening?

Originally Posted by 355F1

wow, what kind of music do you listen to?
Old 09-21-21, 09:18 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Exhilr8n
I’ve wondered about this too, only seen an outboard DAC on a phone be used for headphones. I have experienced a marked transformation of my home system with a DAC upgrade. Hoping someone would chime in who is familiar, and has done this in a car. Or does the car have to have some physical analog input?

EDIT: something I’ve found that addresses this https://www.lifewire.com/car-audio-dacs-534571

Exerpt:

“Portable Car Audio DACs and Head Units
Most portable DACs are designed for use with laptops, and they essentially offload the heavy lifting of converting digital music to an analog signal from computer software to a physical device. This type of portable DAC can be used in your car as well, if you have an audio source that is capable of outputting via USB and your head unit has an analog input.

The other way that DACs come into play in cars is that some head units include digital inputs, typically in the form of a USB or proprietary jack. The way that this type of connection works is that it allows you to plug in your iPhone, tablet, or any other MP3 player and offload the processing to the head unit, rather than relying on the DAC in your phone or another device.

Do You Need a DAC Component in Your Car?
If you want the best possible sound quality, and you've already upgraded your head unit, amplifier, or speakers, then adding a DAC can help push your sound quality to the next level.

Even if you have a factory car stereo that sounds decent, you can benefit from adding a portable DAC like the Apogee One, which sits between your phone or portable music player and your car stereo.

It's also important to remember that you don't have to buy an expensive portable DAC to experience better sound. Your car stereo probably has a decent DAC built right in that's designed for use with car speakers.

Instead of using an analog connection like an auxiliary jack to plug your phone or music player into your car stereo, consider using a USB port. If your car stereo has a USB port, or you're willing to upgrade, you can feed digital music files directly to the stereo.

This allows the built-in DAC in the head unit to do the heavy lifting instead of the DAC in your phone or music player, which will typically result in better-sounding music.”

Increasing signal quality would be the easiest path to improving quality in the car. Anything else is going to be fun to do but involved and pricey.
I mostly listen to Pandora from my Android via aux input. Audio to me sounds fine. Would USB provide for better fidelity? And if so, how could I do that in the LC?
Old 09-22-21, 06:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hoonose
I mostly listen to Pandora from my Android via aux input. Audio to me sounds fine. Would USB provide for better fidelity? And if so, how could I do that in the LC?
just connect your phone via usb cable to the usb connector in the center storage box.
Old 09-22-21, 07:47 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just connect your phone via usb cable to the usb connector in the center storage box.
For some reason with more recent Android software versions USB audio out option is no longer available in developer mode.
Old 09-22-21, 09:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

My ML sounds awful with Surround OFF.
Old 09-22-21, 11:39 AM
specialk32
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the ML in my LS-460L and am very pleased with it. I am an audiophile, and I do NOT listen to Sirius/XM for music in my car; only for news, sports, etc. I DO however listen almost exclusively to ripped CDs at NO compression, i.e., 14ll kbs. My rips are via JRiver which I strongly recommend. I then listen through my IPhone Bluetooth and the sound is exceptional. I fade slightly to the rear and to my R elbow. I generally keep surround sound ON.

My bottom line is that with excellent source material, i.e., very well-recorded CDs to begin with, and with bit-perfect ripping, you should find the ML system sounds quite good. Likewise, bad source material sounds bad, no matter what system you might have.
The following 2 users liked this post by specialk32:
bitkahuna (09-22-21), Exhilr8n (09-22-21)
Old 09-22-21, 11:52 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by specialk32
Have the ML in my LS-460L and am very pleased with it. I am an audiophile, and I do NOT listen to Sirius/XM for music in my car; only for news, sports, etc. I DO however listen almost exclusively to ripped CDs at NO compression, i.e., 14ll kbs. My rips are via JRiver which I strongly recommend. I then listen through my IPhone Bluetooth and the sound is exceptional. I fade slightly to the rear and to my R elbow. I generally keep surround sound ON.

My bottom line is that with excellent source material, i.e., very well-recorded CDs to begin with, and with bit-perfect ripping, you should find the ML system sounds quite good. Likewise, bad source material sounds bad, no matter what system you might have.
You prefer BT over say Aux? Doesn't BT degrade your fidelity?
Old 09-22-21, 11:58 AM
specialk32
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two IPhones, one hard wired via AUX and the other via BT. I ABed same material over both venues and absolutely cannot tell the difference! BT has come a long way, especially with Apple version.
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (09-25-21)
Old 09-22-21, 01:43 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 620 Likes on 398 Posts

wow, what kind of music do you listen to?
Mostly lossless EDM, house, trance, country, pop on my hardwired iphone. Bluetooth is NEVER an option.

This morning’s drive home was Taylor Swift, Gareth Emery, and Luke Bryan. I’m seriously diverse AF.
Old 09-22-21, 05:07 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

thanks, but i have not signed up for any paid music streaming service yet. i don't really need/want to pay to have a million tracks at my disposal, but at some point i'll probably cave and do it.
It is a bit pricey. Hopefully it will get better in future if enough folk require a better sound quality.

It’s interesting to explore a zillion things I’ve never heard before. Like tv and movies, a lot of junk out there. But still interesting to search.
Old 09-22-21, 07:20 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

Just for the heck of it, I tried tmillLC500's settings, with a variation:

Midrange and bass a click or two higher, treble the same, as he suggested. But I also adjusted the fade WAY toward the back, about two clicks from the very rear.

Then, as someone else noted, with the ML system mostly feeding the rear, I had to turn the volume a good bit higher.

But the result was something very close to surround, and with good tone.

This is in the convertible, with the roof down and with it up. YMMV

Last edited by redhot47fl; 09-22-21 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-22-21, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I have two IPhones, one hard wired via AUX and the other via BT. I ABed same material over both venues and absolutely cannot tell the difference! BT has come a long way, especially with Apple version.
agreed but actually for all modern bluetooth

sounds right to me.

i'm guessing you like your music very loud.

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My ML sounds awful with Surround OFF.
that's not on an LC though right?

Originally Posted by hoonose
You prefer BT over say Aux? Doesn't BT degrade your fidelity?
as has been mentioned, bluetooth has come a long way. Aux likely means your going through 2 conversions, digital->analog on the phone, and analog->digital from the input. i highly doubt (analog) aux in goes straight to the car amp.

Mostly lossless EDM, house, trance, country, pop on my hardwired iphone. Bluetooth is NEVER an option.

This morning’s drive home was Taylor Swift, Gareth Emery, and Luke Bryan. I’m seriously diverse AF.
ha, i hear ya... sometimes i just let my phone play shuffle across ALL my music, and it could go classical, trance, country, pop, progressive, etc. ...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-25-21 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-22-21, 09:36 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

agreed but actually for all modern bluetooth

sounds right to me.

i'm guessing you like your music very loud.

that's not on an LC though right?

as has been mentioned, bluetooth has come a long way. Aux likely means your going through 2 conversions, digital->analog on the phone, and analog->digital from the input. i highly doubt (analog) aux in goes straight to the car amp.

ha, i hear ya... sometimes i just let me phone play shuffle across ALL my music, and it could go classical, trance, country, pop, progressive, etc. ...
No question my Aux sounds better than BT with my Android. But today for other reasons I enabled developer mode on my Android and I see a whole bunch of BT related settings. So when I get back home in Oct. I will experiment there.
The following users liked this post:
Exhilr8n (09-23-21)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson audio