Mark Levinson audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-22, 09:50 AM
MB99
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Issue I may have found

Hello!

Recently I received my new LC 500 coupe. Its amazing! I did notice an issue that is really bothering me.

When I play music (I listen to music that has a lot of bass in it such as hip hop) the subwoofer as well as the side door woofers gradually lose bass within 10-15 seconds. The subwoofer becomes weak and the woofers can only do kicks but not the mid range rumbling bass it is supposed to do. Once I turn off surround, they all startup again but the bass fades away again within the same time frame. When I turn surround on again, same thing. I have the adjustment leveler off. I also have put my hand on the speakers and the vibrations decrease along with the air that is supposed to get kicked by subwoofers/woofers. Has anyone experienced anything like this or was this already discussed in the forum?

Thanks!
MB
Old 12-09-22, 10:08 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MB99
Hello!

Recently I received my new LC 500 coupe. Its amazing! I did notice an issue that is really bothering me.

When I play music (I listen to music that has a lot of bass in it such as hip hop) the subwoofer as well as the side door woofers gradually lose bass within 10-15 seconds. The subwoofer becomes weak and the woofers can only do kicks but not the mid range rumbling bass it is supposed to do. Once I turn off surround, they all startup again but the bass fades away again within the same time frame. When I turn surround on again, same thing. I have the adjustment leveler off. I also have put my hand on the speakers and the vibrations decrease along with the air that is supposed to get kicked by subwoofers/woofers. Has anyone experienced anything like this or was this already discussed in the forum?

Thanks!
MB
I did not have that problem. And typically listened to bassy EDM.
Old 12-10-22, 10:02 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 620 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonose
I did not have that problem. And typically listened to bassy EDM.
Same. Mostly EDM (and Tidal/Hi-Res) music here, too.
Old 12-11-22, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by MB99
Hello!

Thanks!
MB
wonder if there's some kind of temperature (or 'abuse' ) sensor on the sub or amp and you're really crankin' it?
Old 12-17-22, 11:39 AM
MB99
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wonder if there's some kind of temperature (or 'abuse' ) sensor on the sub or amp and you're really crankin' it?
I am pretty sure some systems do have that "safety" feature in their amps. But should that be the case even at volume level 45-50? I guess the best thing to do is to try different sources and check in a different vehicle. The fix? If this is the case for all LC amps, maybe get an aftermarket amp and adjust its levels to where the ML speakers can be comfortable. We used to have an LX570 where the ML sound system was bangin and never noticed anything like this. I just hate that the "safety" feature kicks in and makes the bass sounds so flat. Otherwise, the system sounds decent.

MB
Old 01-31-23, 08:17 AM
Chompra
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Exactly!
Old 05-23-23, 02:31 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RysLC500
ATL, I am pretty confident all verts have this issue. Its a bad design. I took the recommendations off this forum and my old man clipped off the bottom portion of the grill plastic where it rubs. And add some insulation to keep the plastic from touching the metal. I already took it to Lexus 2x and they won't fix it. They gave me a new cover to see if that helped (here's your sign lol). Read the fixes and try the ones that don't require cutting and I bet you will like the results. I only listened to my modified grill on way to airport yesterday but did sound much better. Doubt Lexus will retro fix the 2021's. But if you get them to do it let us know.
I've been following this thread for a while as I've had the same problems as many of you - the sub rattles like crazy at higher volumes. It seemed like snipping out the plastic piece was the only "good solution" presented thus far, but I was reluctant to do that before asking the dealer if they could diagnose and fix the problem. Remarkably, they fixed the problem 100%!! I can't even describe how much more enjoyable the system is now that I can turn up the music LOUD with absolutely zero rattles. To my surprise - the issue is NOT the sub hitting the plastic. Rather, it is the fabric rattling against the plastic! I wouldn't have believed it, but the solution the dealer took was to send the cover out to an upholstery shop where they removed the fabric and glued it back in place, permanently adhering the fabric to the plastic underneath. This is a true 100% fix. I couldn't be happier!
Old 05-23-23, 02:41 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

Glad Lexus realized they had a true issue with this ine, or at least your dealer.

It’s really easy to get the offending part off and modify it though. Five minutes if you had ever done it before. Just need sharp little clippers, and a brave hand 😊

Enjoy!
Old 12-02-23, 04:25 PM
maraca
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Sad to report that 2024 has not made any upgrades to ML - is still lacking fidelity of a premium system. I hope after some break-in period it will be a bit more tolerable. Has anyone reported any success in improving audio quality via component upgrade?
Old 12-02-23, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by maraca
Sad to report that 2024 has not made any upgrades to ML - is still lacking fidelity of a premium system. I hope after some break-in period it will be a bit more tolerable. Has anyone reported any success in improving audio quality via component upgrade?
check post 59 here about replacing the sub...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post11034456
Old 12-03-23, 07:26 AM
maraca
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
check post 59 here about replacing the sub...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post11034456
Thank you. I also found this LC Audio Upgrades - Lexus LC500 Coupe Club - Lexus Owners Club; seems like miniDSP potentially would yield good results without touching speakers. Or replace the amp with dsp+amp, might be cleaner, something like that.. Harmony 8x12 DSP - 12 Channel Car Audio Amplifier with Dirac Live (minidsp.com)

Last edited by maraca; 12-03-23 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-25-23, 06:21 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought Lexus announced a big Mark Levinson upgrade announcement earlier this year regarding the 24 models. I specifically recall reading about the improvements in the sound quality and the larger amplifer.. Or was that for Inspiration Model only??

MARK LEVINSON SURROUND SOUND While most audio systems are adapted to and installed in a vehicle after it’s engineered, Mark Levinson®6 technicians work alongside Lexus craftsmen from the outset of the development process. That’s why the LC offers a rich, dynamic, 13-speaker, 915-watt soundstage uniquely fitted to the cabin—and as pure as the performance of the vehicle itself.

Perhaps because of my LC-Noobness, I'v misread this as an upgrade. This prior year models have the same system + cd player? I have convertible, so I thought it sounded ok for what it is, and believed that the coupe models would probably benefit the most..

Last edited by asong1; 12-25-23 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-25-23, 07:12 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I have had my convertible for 2 years now. I cut the plastic out of the cover and sound has been good. I get an occasional rattle on certain songs. Other songs are fine. The ML in my old RC F was outstanding. I would say the ML in the LC is good. It is really crisp and clean but definitely not as brassy as the RC F. I really appreciate the clarity. So it is not a concern for me. The current rattle sounds different than the original rattle, so it may be coming from a different area. I may ask Lexus about it next time I visit. But, for me it is not a big deal. I can certainly enjoy songs while driving top down.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (12-26-23)
Old 12-26-23, 09:22 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Thank you. I also found this LC Audio Upgrades - Lexus LC500 Coupe Club - Lexus Owners Club; seems like miniDSP potentially would yield good results without touching speakers. Or replace the amp with dsp+amp, might be cleaner, something like that.. Harmony 8x12 DSP - 12 Channel Car Audio Amplifier with Dirac Live (minidsp.com)
I had no idea this existed! Thanks, will look into this option. I need to speak with my local Car Stereo experts and get some feedback. Does Museway provide 3D sound similar to B&O or ELS sound systems? if so, I'd be in heaven...

Is this for those models wihout ML only, or does it also improve upon ML setup? Mine is LC convertible w/ ML.
Old 12-26-23, 08:10 PM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
I had no idea this existed! Thanks, will look into this option. I need to speak with my local Car Stereo experts and get some feedback. Does Museway provide 3D sound similar to B&O or ELS sound systems? if so, I'd be in heaven...

Is this for those models wihout ML only, or does it also improve upon ML setup? Mine is LC convertible w/ ML.
in car audio, it is the combined DSP amps that are in fashion...You can see a lot of brands that offer this service ,the most compact is Audison with 12channel . B&O or ELS ,excuse me: are not experienced in car audio , take a look at their speaker, these are cheap speakers with the basic paper cone ...and for about the 3d system , it is an simple all pass filter injected in or something basic near of this( delay or angle 90 etc ) , with a DSP you will experienced true "rear field" and create a true 3d system with time alignment and solid bass with class D amp instead of basic A/B design that allow the car to switch on many times.. .
As i said a lot of brand do this ,but all is the tuner ...

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson audio