LC Model (2018-present)

Mark Levinson audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19, 05:52 PM
lacemanjw5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am only concerned with the subpar sound quality that ive experience in my LC500 which Was duplicated in a car brought to me by Lexus regional rep. I realize the different formats and how sound quality varies. but overall the lack of dispersion and tonality is much to be desired and I have made it known to corporate Lexus. apparently there is also an issue with the ES 350 models. Depending on the source sometimes all the sound comes from the front center speaker it is similar to an old transistor radio. Tinny with no depth !
Oftrash I would welcome the input from ML engineer in Michigan. I was hoping for some fix but nothing as of yet. Having come from Burmester and many others including other Lexus with Mark Levinson that hit the note this doesn’t make me look forward to jumping in the car and cranking up the tunes as I would expect. The other issues mentioned may exist but those are secondary in comparison to sound quality for my satisfaction.
Old 12-29-19, 07:52 AM
Dano5o
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lacemanjw5
I am only concerned with the subpar sound quality that ive experience in my LC500 which Was duplicated in a car brought to me by Lexus regional rep. I realize the different formats and how sound quality varies. but overall the lack of dispersion and tonality is much to be desired and I have made it known to corporate Lexus. apparently there is also an issue with the ES 350 models. Depending on the source sometimes all the sound comes from the front center speaker it is similar to an old transistor radio. Tinny with no depth !
Oftrash I would welcome the input from ML engineer in Michigan. I was hoping for some fix but nothing as of yet. Having come from Burmester and many others including other Lexus with Mark Levinson that hit the note this doesn’t make me look forward to jumping in the car and cranking up the tunes as I would expect. The other issues mentioned may exist but those are secondary in comparison to sound quality for my satisfaction.
Completely agree with lacemanjw5. Very disappointed with the ML in the LC. The OEM system in my '17 Honda Ridgeline sounds better. I too would very much welcome feedback form the ML Engineer. Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
BruceinFla (07-29-22)
Old 12-31-19, 11:14 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the ML in the ES, LC, LS. Music is supposed to come from in front of you. Rear speakers are there to add ambiance and reverb if you have surround on. The rears shouldn't be as loud or even close to as loud as the front.
Old 12-31-19, 12:59 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

We’re all glad it performs in a way you enjoy. I loved stereo music back in the 70s, still do sometimes.

But some of us would like to have it like just about every other car or truck we have ever owned, and be able to adjust the sound stage.

Sure glad you were not controlling the imagery at the Star Wars movie last night. Many of us there liked the sense of reality that surround sound offers. Modern home theatre offers even more 3D with speakers above us as well.
Old 04-19-20, 04:33 PM
RickHansen
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone ever just swapped out the sub only for a bit more bass?
AquaMayne (07-19-21)
Old 04-27-20, 02:58 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

ML 13 speakers:

3 dash speakers (corners + center) are two speakers in one...one woofer and one tweeter = 6 total.

Door speakers = woofers...more like bass woofers = 2 total.

Rear seat speakers = one woofer and one tweeter = 4 total.

Subwoofer = 1.

Total = 13.
Old 04-27-20, 06:55 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

I think there is 13 due to the use of coaxial speakers . also difference in size

12-speaker System

13 speaker

13 speaker

Last edited by ALK; 04-27-20 at 07:12 PM.
breplica (07-19-21)
Old 02-09-21, 04:45 PM
JMD13
Driver School Candidate

You are incorrect in your audio assumptions. Most music is recorded in stereo with the idea to present the artist in front of you as on a stage.
Auto makers “idea” or sales pitch for “surround sound” is erroneous, as they are manufacturing “ surround sound” out of recordings that were not intended as such.
When you attend a concert, the band or orchestra is in front of you. A good music system will present it as such, hopefully with appropriate delineation of instruments.
I did the opposite in my search for great car stereo. I avoided the gimmicky surround sound and the exhorbitant cost, instead purchasing after- market amps, speakers and processor to present the image above the dash and with subwoofer seemingly forward ( not detectable), installed by a pro, at less than manufactures price. You would be happy with the results. Don’t buy into the “surround” hype, as that’s all it is
Old 02-09-21, 06:32 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

That’s a good opinion, and does coincide well with some avenues of music. I guess all the folks out there in the movie theatres and home theatres and concert halls and nightclubs, and most cars today, choose a different approach.

Proper surround sound works to recreate the ambiance of such venues. The sounds subtly reflected.

I respect your purist tastes, but ask that you respect what others prefer.

Old 02-09-21, 08:23 PM
JMD13
Driver School Candidate

No disrespect meant at all. I am merely stating that you cannot expect correct surround sound from a source recorded in stereo. I too like surround sound properly done, for movies and concerts when recorded in surround sound as on DVD or DVD audio, or Blueray. For a time Acura had the ability to play true surround audio in their system which allowed DVD audio playback in surround. But unless it’s recorded in surround, a card system is only artificially creating it from a source that the recording engineers only intended as stereo ( and pure-lol!) My suggestion, and my experience is to say and aftermarket system, with a processor will give you that rich full sound- up front, as was recorded- and it’s terrific... mine is Focal speakers, 3 ways up front, 2 ways rear, Illusion Audio 12 inch sub under rear deck, 10 channels of Arc Audio amps and the Arc audio PS 8 processor, active crossovers. The sound is where it should be.
Old 02-10-21, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

JMD13, welcome. do you have an LC500 by the way? if not, you might not be aware of just how small the interior of the car is (especially the back seat which could only be used for torture or a 6 pack.

i've yet to hear ANY aftermarket audio system i thought was great. sure they're usually capable of being very loud, and they usually have better clearer speakers, but i've never heard one i felt was well balanced (typically way overdoing the bass imo).

the mark levinson in the LC is, to me, pretty good, but constrained greatly by the tiny space. the lexicon system in my big sedan is way better, again, imo.
Old 02-10-21, 08:42 AM
JMD13
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. No, I do not have the LC500, yet. On previous cars I did explore their stereo options and sound with a demo CD prior to purchase. I never found a factory system to sound good. Prior to last purchase, I reviewed the Revel system that Lincoln had that Sound and Vision magazine had set as the best after their thorough testing of nearly a dozen systems. Not satisfying at all, and at a cost of 7400.( with req packages). I also agree with you that after market stereo systems can sound poor too, and often try to overcome audio staging with loudness. You need to find an SQ installer, not a SPF guy to properly balance your sound. I tweaked and fiddled on my own for many years, never quite getting there. I found one of the best installers after a lot of research, a winner of numerous SQ contests( yes, they have those!). Super job. No more fiddling. A good installer will consider all placement options, size of interior, space available and present you with a system that will beat any “mass marketed” system. The key in my case was the processor that time aligned all speakers to my sitting position.
I think the restriction in the LC500 would be sub location. But, you can bet that the Lexus “sub” in mo more that an 8 or maybe 10 inch, woofer- not a true sub.
The car and sound environment was very important to me for my daily commute, especially once I realized I would never have the music system of my liking in my home( too many others!!) I was fun to preview different cars systems and a pleasure to finally have one. I know others feel that same excitement and enjoy the pursuit.
Old 02-10-21, 10:34 AM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts

uh, no offense, intentionally, but my advice to one who thinks the ML in the LC is insufficient
would be, to quote the great late frank zappa, " just turn it up, and shut up "
it will sound better that way
Old 02-10-21, 10:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Almost nothing is recorded in stereo in a pro studio and hasn't been for a very long time. Even going back 50 years recordings were multi track then of course down mixed for the consumer.
Old 02-10-21, 10:56 AM
JMD13
Driver School Candidate

Ha ha.... awesome....Zappa, one of my favorites.....shut up and play your guitar🙂
DRGibbons (02-10-21)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson audio