LC Model (2018-present)

Front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20 | 01:37 PM
tiger1918
Driver School Candidate

Default Front brakes

Does any here have the Tom's brake pads and how do you like them? Any noise, dust ,etc. Please only respond if you are a owner and not a dealer selling the pads. I would like a true opinion of these pads as they are very expensive. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
guanche2k9 (01-22-20)
Old 01-22-20 | 02:37 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

I think Zeitaku has them on.
Old 01-22-20 | 03:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Same question asked three weeks ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...rake-pads.html

Same answer

Lou

Old 01-22-20 | 04:24 PM
tiger1918
Driver School Candidate

Default Front brakes

Well I see only 1 person has the Tom's brake pads and that is Zeitaku. He says they are fine. I DO NOT SEE ANY OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM REPLYING ABOUT TOMS BRAKE PADS. LOU, I DID NOT ASK ABOUT THE PEOPLE HAVING OTHER PADS I SAID AND I REPEAT TOMS BRAKE PADS. WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND. I CANNOT BE A CLEARER. I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS THESE PADS AND THEIR EXPERIENCE BESIDES THE VENDORS. I would like more than one opinion!!

Last edited by tiger1918; 01-22-20 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 01-29-20 | 08:55 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

TOMS Racing PERFORMER Brake Pads

With high braking force and anti-fade capability, this pads have high balanced performance to minimize squeal and dust.

Rotor Temp. normal〜600℃

TOMS Racing RACING Brake Pads

High performance brake pads for circuit drive developed by testing at Fuji speed way. With superior braking force and controllability, stable performance from normal temperature condition assured.

Rotor Temp. normal〜800℃

*Race Pads: There may be the case of squeal or dust depending on usage, condition etc.
Old 05-10-20 | 08:53 AM
gbrickey
Rookie

I have a set of Tom's Performer pads on order. There is a YouTube video of a guy with a GSF (Search "Toms Racing Pads Lexus GSF") and he has nothing but great things to say about his switch, but he might have the Racing pads instead of the Performer pads. There's also at least one post on here where a user reported brake squeal showing up after a couple of months, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Perhaps that user didn't break them in properly.

I really want to solve the dust problem without giving up the brake performance. I'll post an update after I have some miles on the performer pads.
Old 05-10-20 | 03:13 PM
ttantioch
Driver

I changed my pad in the dealership and it is basically replacing it with a more street one, lower performance/dust/noise. $330 for braking pad seems too much for me.
Old 05-12-20 | 03:39 PM
Tempest
Driver

I plan on purchasing the Tom's Performer pads as well. I'll post up my experience here after they are installed.
Old 05-16-20 | 03:45 PM
gbrickey
Rookie

I received my Tom's Performer pads yesterday and installed them today. Very high-quality build on these - they have the cutout for the factory pad wear sensor, which is only on the passenger side. The pad material is medium tan in color, so any dust they do make will be much lighter in color compared to the almost jet black of the factory high-friction pads.

After the install I took the car for a quick trip around the block, and the first thing I noticed was that I no longer hear that growl I would hear when I let off the break from a stop, and also that last half-second when the car comes to a stop. Nice. I did a couple of hard jabs at 25 mph, and these pads grabbed as strong, or maybe even stronger, than the stock pads. I haven't done anything yet as far as bedding the pads - I was unable to find anything break in advice on the web. I did message Tom's in Japan asking for any recommended break in procedure, and will let you know if I hear back. So far so good - looking forward to cleaner front wheels.
Old 05-17-20 | 10:22 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

If anyone wants pricing on a set, let us know!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-18-20 | 12:09 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbrickey
I received my Tom's Performer pads yesterday and installed them today. Very high-quality build on these - they have the cutout for the factory pad wear sensor, which is only on the passenger side. The pad material is medium tan in color, so any dust they do make will be much lighter in color compared to the almost jet black of the factory high-friction pads.

After the install I took the car for a quick trip around the block, and the first thing I noticed was that I no longer hear that growl I would hear when I let off the break from a stop, and also that last half-second when the car comes to a stop. Nice. I did a couple of hard jabs at 25 mph, and these pads grabbed as strong, or maybe even stronger, than the stock pads. I haven't done anything yet as far as bedding the pads - I was unable to find anything break in advice on the web. I did message Tom's in Japan asking for any recommended break in procedure, and will let you know if I hear back. So far so good - looking forward to cleaner front wheels.
I would just follow the factory break-in if TOMS doesn't have instructions ..
Old 05-18-20 | 09:13 AM
gbrickey
Rookie

I heard back from Tom's Performance regarding any recommended break-in for their Performer Pads. Here is their reply. [Reply]

Dear Glen,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Although we do not have any special break-in procedure for these pads. right after the installation of pads, we always recommend you to drive slowly to make sure ①there is no strange sound and ②breaks work fine

Should you have further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
Old 05-18-20 | 10:27 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Here is a break in procedure that I have followed for any new bake pads. It seats the new pads. I have never had any issues (abnormalities) when I have followed this. Easy PeasyBreak-In Procedure:

5 moderate to aggressive stops from 40 mph down to 10 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool and do not come to a complete stop. If you’re forced to stop, either shift into neutral or give room in front so you can allow the vehicle to roll slightly while waiting for the light. The rotors will be very hot and holding down the brake pedal will allow the pad to create an imprint on the rotor. This is where the judder can originate from.

Next do 5 mod*erate stops from 35 mph to 5 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool. You should expect to smell some resin as the brakes get hot.

After this is complete, drive around for as long as possible without excessively heating the brakes and without coming to a complete stop (Try for about 5 minutes at moderate speed). This is the cooling stage. It allows the heated resin in the brake pads to cool and cure.

After the brakes have cooled to standard operating temperature, you may use the brakes normally.
Old 05-18-20 | 11:56 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

IMHO, Bedding In new brake pads is critical for top performance and long life. For good performance and quietness, it is essential for pad material be transferred to the rotor. There is only one way to do this - HEAT!

I use this procedure:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443

Lou
Old 04-27-22 | 02:37 PM
autozero
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
Here is a break in procedure that I have followed for any new bake pads. It seats the new pads. I have never had any issues (abnormalities) when I have followed this. Easy PeasyBreak-In Procedure:

5 moderate to aggressive stops from 40 mph down to 10 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool and do not come to a complete stop. If you’re forced to stop, either shift into neutral or give room in front so you can allow the vehicle to roll slightly while waiting for the light. The rotors will be very hot and holding down the brake pedal will allow the pad to create an imprint on the rotor. This is where the judder can originate from.

Next do 5 mod*erate stops from 35 mph to 5 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool. You should expect to smell some resin as the brakes get hot.

After this is complete, drive around for as long as possible without excessively heating the brakes and without coming to a complete stop (Try for about 5 minutes at moderate speed). This is the cooling stage. It allows the heated resin in the brake pads to cool and cure.

After the brakes have cooled to standard operating temperature, you may use the brakes normally.
The dealer installed the low dust brakes on my LC and I don't think they bedded it in right as I do get very bad judder once the brakes are hot. Other than the very bad judder, there hasn't been any decrease in performance with the low dust pads and the brakes do still squeak when they're cold.

My Q for the group: has anyone replaced rotors for the LC? I don't even know where to look for rotors for the LC.