LC Model (2018-present)

2018 vs 2019 changes noticeable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-20, 02:16 PM
mikescool
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 vs 2019 changes noticeable?

Hey guys, looking to purchase a used LC500 up in Canada, the dealer has a 2018 model but from my research it seems like they made a bunch of transmission and suspension modifications for the 2019 onwards.

I'm wondering if anyone here had driven both the 2018 and the 2019 and would care to share any differences they felt?

Cheers!

Mike
Old 01-30-20, 05:52 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Which one is it? Wouldn't happen to be the black 2018 @ Park? I've been keeping my eyes on two located in the GTA.
Old 01-30-20, 10:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I have driven both. Felt the same to me. Mine feels better than both with my PPE headers, Dual Mode exhaust and Vossen wheels with Michelin PS4S upsized tires

And Mike - Welcome to the site - Lot's go GREAT information here.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
mikescool (01-31-20)
Old 01-31-20, 09:21 AM
mikescool
10th Gear

Originally Posted by M4rk
Which one is it? Wouldn't happen to be the black 2018 @ Park? I've been keeping my eyes on two located in the GTA.
Yes, i'm test driving that one this Saturday.
Old 01-31-20, 09:23 AM
mikescool
10th Gear

Originally Posted by flowrider
I have driven both. Felt the same to me. Mine feels better than both with my PPE headers, Dual Mode exhaust and Vossen wheels with Michelin PS4S upsized tires

And Mike - Welcome to the site - Lot's go GREAT information here.

Lou
Thanks Lou. I'm on a Miata RF GT right now and upgraded to the PS4S right away so well, made a huge difference.
Old 01-31-20, 09:28 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Nice, hope all goes well, Mike! Looks like a clean car in photos, and the CarProof shows consistent mileage increments and no red flags. If you can, could you inquire about LCPO finance rates they'd offer?
Old 01-31-20, 12:31 PM
mikescool
10th Gear

Originally Posted by M4rk
Nice, hope all goes well, Mike! Looks like a clean car in photos, and the CarProof shows consistent mileage increments and no red flags. If you can, could you inquire about LCPO finance rates they'd offer?
3.99% for 60 months.
Old 02-02-20, 04:45 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Thanks, Mike. Sorry for the derailment. This is what Lexus published on what's new for MY19:
  • Reprogrammed shift logic for 10-speed automatic transmission
  • Range of Adaptive Variable Suspension expanded for enhanced ride comfort
  • Enhanced steering, revised VGRS and change to aluminum steering support bracket
  • Modified rear engine mounts
Full list: https://pressroom.lexus.com/56077-2/

Also eager to hear how the test drive went.
Old 02-02-20, 07:05 AM
mikescool
10th Gear

I drove it yesterday, however without driving the 2019 and 2018 back to back i don't really have a reference. The car felt great though, loads of power, definitely wayyyy more than you would need off the track. One of the reasons I got a miata is because it's still fun to drive but the power is contained enough that you won't kill someone if you step on the gas. It is extremely easy to speed in the LC, i didn't even notice but i was going 80km/hr on Leslie, which if you are unlucky enough to get caught will be -3 dermit points in Ontario lol.

There are some scruff and scratches on the interior of the car, but not too bad. The owner took good car for 35k, not in perfect condition but i would say 9/10. Windows were tinted at i think 35%, which technically is illegal but not super dark. The ceramic coating looked shiny, but those things don't last forever.

Another thing i wanted to add was it's relatively quiet on the highway at about 100km/hr, it's no GX460 but for a "sports" car it's one of the quietest on the highway I had a chance to drive. Very comfortable to drive daily. Handling wise it's okay for a car that size and weight, but i'm used to driving a miata so definitely not in the same league there.

Overall i don't think you'll go wrong with the car, however i didn't like the tan interior color. Felt a little too old fashioned for me. Personally if i was going to drop 80k on a car i would want the interior + exterior color i really wanted, which would be either silver/white/red exterior and red or white interior.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by mikescool; 02-02-20 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-03-20, 04:21 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback, Mike.

Shameless plug: If you like silver on red, I have the car for you, but it's no LC (2014 IS F, 1/12 in Canada).

I am surprised that LC also had interior wear where it lost a point off the scale. Similarly, a 2018 with 12k (km) I drove last fall in Montreal also had scuffs and scratches on the inside, moreso than what I would expect. Does the general owner population who lease these not care enough? Hmm.. The interior on my ISF with 66k is a 9.7/10.

I shared my thoughts on my test drive in another thread. Did you experience any of the following?

Transmission: The car jerked when shifting into reverse. If I recall, it squatted as well, perhaps only slightly, the brakes groaned a little like an old ship, plus the aforementioned minor jerk. Is this normal behavior of the transmission? Otherwise, all other gears felt normal and lightning quick.

Brakes: Initial pedal application was rather spongy, comparing to my IS F with ceramic pads. More importantly, as I brought the car to a full stop (stop-n-go traffic), there was a notable wobble back-and-forth right at the point of stopping. Think: worn shocks, car bouncing. Does your LC do this?
Old 02-03-20, 08:07 AM
mikescool
10th Gear

Haha thanks but not looking for an IS right now Good luck with the sale.

Tranmission: I didn't have a chance to reverse it because it was inside the dealer's heated garage and i drove it straight out with the sales guy. Maybe your LC was parked for a while before you test drove it? Or it could be too cold, sometimes the tranmission fluid needs to warm up a bit. I thought the tranmission was lightning fast with the shifts on auto, though i test drove most of it on manual paddle shifters.

Brakes: I didn't do any hard stop tests but in normal city driving and moderate highway traffic they were fine. Didn't hear any brake noise that other people were mentioning either. I'm not sure if the brake pads were stock or not though. I think anything with the pads are pretty easy to fix since those are fairly easy and cheap to replace.

Another thing i didn't like was the steering, i think their steering rack doesn't communicate what's happening on the road very well. The traction control was also very aggressive. But as a grand tourer these factors doesn't really matter, if you care about "sports driving performance" then they would matter.