LC Model (2018-present)

Does the LC live up to Lexus reputation for reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 10:07 PM
MinhDo
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does the LC live up to Lexus reputation for reliability?

Given that the car have been out for a while now I figured now would be a good time to ask this question. Any issues that potential buyer should be aware of?
Old 06-12-20, 10:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,362 Posts

You have come to the right place to answer your question. You may want to search this forum to see what other owners have posted.

Some don't like the brakes - Not me however. They don't like the squeaking and the dust. Lexus has an answer for that - Lower performing pads which they will retrofit at no charge. My brakes are strong, don't make noise (bedded in properly). They do dust however. I'll take performance over dust any day.

Some have complained about a rattle above the rear window. Again, I don't have that issue. My LC, an early build, is solid and rattle free.

There is a TSB out for the fuel pump on some models built from August 2018 to February 2019.

That's about it

Lou
The following 3 users liked this post by flowrider:
1wacko (06-13-20), ThomasD94 (06-20-20), web4488 (06-14-20)
Old 06-13-20, 05:27 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
They do dust however. I'll take performance over dust any day.
I respect your opinion Lou but having tried both, I simply cannot tell the difference in performance between both, even with very spirited driving. 95% reduction in dust with ''probably'' 95% of the performance is clearly a no brainer for me and would recommend it to everyone, unless they track their cars regularly...which I doubt anyone here does. Given the more touring nature of the LC, those are the pads that should of come at OE in the first place in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
pottypants (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 07:17 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGT
Given the more touring nature of the LC, those are the pads that should of come at OE in the first place in my opinion.
I agree - the replacement pads are overall the better choice for me. However, I did notice the difference in brake feel immediately. I noticed - the stock metal pads allowed for a lighter foot to achieve the same stopping power. I think I adjusted quickly to the new feel however. Car still stops on a dime if I want it to. I used to wear rubber gloves to clean the wheels after every ride (I'm nutty about keeping them clean). Box of gloves just sits on the shelf feeling neglected now.

Last edited by uchujin; 06-13-20 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 09:10 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I guess Lexus felt their customer base agrees with you both. For 2021 the lower dusting pads now come on the base & Touring packages. The Sport & Performance packages will soldier on with the better performing pads. Me, although my pads are noticeably better then the pads that came standard on my ISF, I am looking for a higher performing pad like the Ferodo DS2500 or Project Mu 800+HC. Nothing from either pad maker yet

uchujin - Are you wearing the gloves when out in public I do

Lou
Old 06-13-20, 12:10 PM
uchujin
Advanced

uchujin - Are you wearing the gloves when out in public I do

Lou
Nope. Never. And I'm a complete germophobe. Just wearing a mask when around others. I don't get the whole wearing gloves thing. Can't contract the virus through skin, and I'm still touching the same things without the gloves that I'd be touching with the gloves. I am always washing my hands continuously though, which I feel better doing than relying on gloves. YMMV.
Old 06-13-20, 12:16 PM
uchujin
Advanced

^^^^I guess Lexus felt their customer base agrees with you both. For 2021 the lower dusting pads now come on the base & Touring packages. The Sport & Performance packages will soldier on with the better performing pads. Me, although my pads are noticeably better then the pads that came standard on my ISF, I am looking for a higher performing pad like the Ferodo DS2500 or Project Mu 800+HC. Nothing from either pad maker yet
Lou
Lou, I'm sure you know a lot more about brakes than I do... Have you seen these set-ups by Brembo? Lots of vendors selling them now. Pricey for sure. Probably not much of a difference on the calipers, but having slotted or drilled rotors might be nice...

https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...17/lexus/lc500
Old 06-13-20, 02:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Our calipers are darn good with 6 fixed pistons in front and 4 in back. I see no need to upgrade the calipers. The rotors listed in the link are a bit bigger than stock. Probably due to the stock ones fitting the 20" wheels. We have vented rotors. And yes, I would have like slotted rotors like featured in the RCF and GSF. My ISF had drilled rotors, and over time with hard use they tend to crack around the holes. I switched to slotted rotors on the iSF. Over time I will be changing to slotted rotors on my LC.

But, the way you are talking, happy with the lower performing pad, upgrading would not be a route for you to take.

As far as gloves, I wear them all the time when in any kind of store. However when eating at a restaurant, I wear a glove on my left hand. I use the left hand to open doors touch counters and etc. I eat one handed with my right - I have not had a steak while eating out yet (that should be a trip)

Lou
Old 06-13-20, 03:55 PM
uchujin
Advanced

^ With the stock metal pads and rotors, I agree - slots or holes probably don't provide much benefit as metal dissipates heat efficiently (conductor). Which is probably why Lexus didn't bother with such rotors on the LC. However, with the ceramic/composite TSB pads, heat isn't dissipated as efficiently. Ceramics hold heat much longer than metals (insulators). So actually, slots or holes on the rotors should help with some heat extraction with ceramic pads. In either case, I also prefer slots over drilled holes. I feel the slots also assist with channeling away some dust, debris, water, etc.

Unless you're in the medical field, no need to wear the gloves...
https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Glove_...aflet.pdf?ua=1
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/w...grocery-store/

Last edited by uchujin; 06-13-20 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 06:15 PM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

You have come to the right place to answer your question. You may want to search this forum to see what other owners have posted.

Some don't like the brakes - Not me however. They don't like the squeaking and the dust. Lexus has an answer for that - Lower performing pads which they will retrofit at no charge. My brakes are strong, don't make noise (bedded in properly). They do dust however. I'll take performance over dust any day.

Some have complained about a rattle above the rear window. Again, I don't have that issue. My LC, an early build, is solid and rattle free.

There is a TSB out for the fuel pump on some models built from August 2018 to February 2019.

That's about it

Lou
Hello,
I would not consider the brake performance a reliability issue.
This is a common problem with high performance cars and easily corrected.
I have a 2018 LC manufactured in October 2018 and aside from the fuel pump recall, I have had no issues.
I did have the break material swap done.
Puertex

Old 06-14-20, 09:07 AM
web4488
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I purchased my 2018 LC in February 2018. It's a late 2017 build and has been rock solid. I haven't experienced any rattles, I had the brake pads replaced, and so far I haven't been notified of the need to replace the fuel pump. My only real gripe is the infotainment system. Great car!
The following users liked this post:
Iflylo (06-22-20)
Old 06-14-20, 10:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You know a car is good when the biggest debate there is about it is how much dust the brakes generate.
The following 5 users liked this post by G Star:
asinow (06-17-20), DRGibbons (06-16-20), Puertex (06-15-20), uchujin (06-15-20), web4488 (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 07:07 PM
uchujin
Advanced

I know - this is the completely wrong thread. But since the topic has come up here...

Took this pic of one of my front wheels yesterday after driving all day - before wiping everything down like I usually do... Wheels stay incredibly clean with the replacement pads. Notice how clean the rough-textured silver part of the outer hub is (I have no clue what this part is called). I remember scrubbing this part with stiff nylon brushes and a myriad of cleaners right after I got the TSB pads installed. These were all black and grimy back then. That was almost 2 years ago, and I haven't cleaned them since (and they're not ceramic coated). I just lightly wipe the wheels and barrels with a micro cloth and either waterless wash or a detail spray at the end of most days (wheels are ceramic coated). The difference in how much cleaner the wheels stay now really is quite remarkable...

Last edited by uchujin; 06-15-20 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 08:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Not so remarkable As you know I have the stock factory pads and am looking for something more aggressive I wipe down my wheels with an old sock as needed and they look GREAT IMHO

To each his own my friend.

Edit - Just checked out your tire - Looks like your still running the stock Michelin PS ZPs. I'm running the better handling Michelin PS4S 255/40/21 in front and 295/35/21 in rear, rated XL The stock tire is rated SL. You will enjoy your LC more with the later tire, upsized and non run flat

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 06-15-20 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 06:08 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Looking good Lou! I still think it's a remarkable difference from what I used to deal with... My pic was taken after driving all day, BEFORE cleaning them. My wheels used to be all black dust after only half and hour of driving. My silver wheels looked more like charcoal or gunmetal before. They still looked like new after cleaning them though. Personally I'm just happier that they stay so clean. Perhaps it's not such a big deal with darker rims.

Yeah, I would have preferred a bit wider tires, but I wanted to stay with RF tires, and there aren't many good RF options. I didn't want to take the chance of getting stranded without a spare or dealing with tire sealant to fix a potential flat (or a bad flatbed tow operator). Also, changing the section width while maintaining the same aspect ratio (profile) increases the section height (and overall tire diameter) a bit. It's not much - about +0.3" diameter on the front and +0.5" diameter on the rear. That difference has some effect on the speedometer and odometer accuracy (https://robrobinette.com/tire_diameter.htm). Probably negligible though. I avoided going with a plus-one (22") setup for the same reason (no RF options). I'm pretty impressed with the characteristics of these RFs. Better than I would have expected. These Michelins seem a bit more responsive then the Bridgestones on my stock rims - which seem to have a bit smoother ride.

Like you said - to each his own, right?! Stay well.

Last edited by uchujin; 06-16-20 at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Does the LC live up to Lexus reputation for reliability?