LC Model (2018-present)

Road height clearance? & Buying from a non-Lexus dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-20, 07:58 AM
danibear
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Road height clearance? & Buying from a non-Lexus dealer?

The 1st questions: is LC500 road clearance generally ok for daily drive? What’s your observations? Do you experience some awkward road surfaces?

I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and moving to Houston, Texas pretty soon. Both areas have flood potentials so.... quite often I will see houses have steep slope from community roads to front yards including my current house.

I took a close look at my front yard this morning when leaving for office, looks like a 15 to 20 degree slope. I current driving a cheap Nissan sedan which doesn’t have any issue climbing (I never pay attention to it for Nissan, sorry....). Not sure about LC500 which I do care...... since my actual LC500 days are coming closer, I do begin to consider all the fine details to own it.

I may end up measuring the current sedan clearance vs LC500 in the display surface......

The 2nd question is buying from a non-Lexus dealer. I saw a local in town 11,000 miles white with $$$5900 performance pkg 2018 listed for $78800. However, it is listed by a non-Lexus dealer. But it looks really nice since the whole inventory are kept in house with in door climate control. Just not sure if it is inspected per CPO standard. The dealer doesn’t provide free extra warranty beyond Lexus factory bump to bump warranty.

Do I ever care it is from a non-L dealer? Does these CPO actually mean anything and makes a real difference?

thank you in advance for all your inputs! Looking forward to join the L-community!

Last edited by danibear; 10-12-20 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 10:52 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 637 Likes on 408 Posts

It's a Toyota. As long as you can inspect the car like any other car buying from a non-dealer means nothing.

It ain't an exotic, my dude.

These things will last forever.

Just make sure you do your due diligence checking for accidents, service records, etc.
The following 3 users liked this post by 355F1:
DRGibbons (10-12-20), pottypants (10-12-20), web4488 (10-12-20)
Old 10-12-20, 11:02 AM
danibear
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 355F1
It's a Toyota. As long as you can inspect the car like any other car buying from a non-dealer means nothing.

It ain't an exotic, my dude.

These things will last forever.

Just make sure you do your due diligence checking for accidents, service records, etc.

I like it as a good GT daily car but not exotic, I am at early 30s so still needs to spend money rationally. Your comment makes me feel better. Thanks.

It shows no accident, I will make a reservation to see it in person in a week or so. Check vin#, etc etc.
Old 10-12-20, 11:24 AM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by danibear
I like it as a good GT daily car but not exotic, I am at early 30s so still needs to spend money rationally. Your comment makes me feel better. Thanks.

It shows no accident, I will make a reservation to see it in person in a week or so. Check vin#, etc etc.
Looking forward to your results!!!!

Mine will be a daily driver once it arrives in Nov/Dec!
Old 10-12-20, 12:19 PM
pottypants
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

mine was purchased from a non lexus dealer.

for me i looked for the usual and then went deeper.
claw marks on the center console wrist pad = woman
lexus history of service showed a few things but also tire life = drove gentle.
tire wear
underside scrapes and/or new suspension parts.

only thing i couldn't confirm was gas used but the car is smart enough to dumb down for regular.

as long as yours wasnt banged up or in a flood, you should be fine. if necessary get a 3rd party inspection or bring to a mechanic.

remember there are tools to test the paint thickness and ECU deep dive (performed by mechanic) would tell the health.

the LC tends to be treated better by the prior owners (IMO) and while there is no R in Toyota its in all their cars.

ppp

p.s. not part of the thread but the 6 month oil change... BS.

I've had multiple issues and brought to local dealer... absolutely no problems besides it taking longer than normal to repair.
they honored the warranty no problems. so check over the car and get it in before it expires for the squeaks.

The following 2 users liked this post by pottypants:
355F1 (10-12-20), AirForce8 (10-14-20)
Old 10-12-20, 05:18 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by danibear
The 1st questions: is LC500 road clearance generally ok for daily drive? What’s your observations? Do you experience some awkward road surfaces?

I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and moving to Houston, Texas pretty soon. Both areas have flood potentials so.... quite often I will see houses have steep slope from community roads to front yards including my current house.

I took a close look at my front yard this morning when leaving for office, looks like a 15 to 20 degree slope. I current driving a cheap Nissan sedan which doesn’t have any issue climbing (I never pay attention to it for Nissan, sorry....). Not sure about LC500 which I do care...... since my actual LC500 days are coming closer, I do begin to consider all the fine details to own it.

I may end up measuring the current sedan clearance vs LC500 in the display surface......

The 2nd question is buying from a non-Lexus dealer. I saw a local in town 11,000 miles white with $$$5900 performance pkg 2018 listed for $78800. However, it is listed by a non-Lexus dealer. But it looks really nice since the whole inventory are kept in house with in door climate control. Just not sure if it is inspected per CPO standard. The dealer doesn’t provide free extra warranty beyond Lexus factory bump to bump warranty.

Do I ever care it is from a non-L dealer? Does these CPO actually mean anything and makes a real difference?

thank you in advance for all your inputs! Looking forward to join the L-community!
I hope you mean 15 to 20 percent slope. There is a cell phone app that measures inclines.

9 degrees and it just barely clears! Of course overhang has a lot to do with it. Larger tires help.

My trade in was a 2017 Z51 Vette which I bought instead of the Z06 because the Z06 would not make it up my driveway.

In normal driving I don't think I've had a problem with the low clearance. Except no front camera, so curbs can do damage. I trained myself to back in.
The following users liked this post:
AirForce8 (10-14-20)
Old 10-12-20, 07:36 PM
danibear
Pit Crew

Thank you so much, hoonose!!!

i just used Apple app “level” measures, it is 8 degrees! I am saved!!! Both the 1st section (from road to pavement) and 2nd section (from pavement to front yard) are 8 degrees.

Please see two pictures I just took, who would think it is only 8 degrees...... Also, the white one I am looking at has 21” wheels.....so I guess I am good.

although I am not a fan of 21”, I always prefer 20” for “better” riding.

But, again, thank you for your precious input!!

Last edited by danibear; 10-12-20 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 08:02 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Be careful at that curb. I don't have to deal with a curb, and that could present a problem. Try measure its height and duplicate the curb at or near your dealer.

When I bought my car, a car trailer was off loading at the time, and allowed me to try and go up their ramp, 9 degrees.
Old 10-12-20, 08:06 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

^^^^Due to the changes in aspect ratio between the tires used on the 20" wheels vs the 21" The OD of the wheel/ tire combo is the same - 28.7".

Lou
Old 10-12-20, 09:11 PM
danibear
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Due to the changes in aspect ratio between the tires used on the 20" wheels vs the 21" The OD of the wheel/ tire combo is the same - 28.7".

Lou
I see, thanks Lou.
Old 10-12-20, 09:13 PM
danibear
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hoonose
Be careful at that curb. I don't have to deal with a curb, and that could present a problem. Try measure its height and duplicate the curb at or near your dealer.

When I bought my car, a car trailer was off loading at the time, and allowed me to try and go up their ramp, 9 degrees.
You are very correct, not sure if I can drive from dealership to my house to have a try.... it is 11 minutes away (5.3 miles).
Old 10-12-20, 09:36 PM
355F1
Racer

They will let you if you're test-driving the vehicle you want to purchase.
Old 10-13-20, 05:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by pottypants
the LC tends to be treated better by the prior owners (IMO) and while there is no R in Toyota its in all their cars.
no R in Toyota? what does this mean?
Old 10-13-20, 08:08 AM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no R in Toyota? what does this mean?
LoL....I couldn’t figure this out either.
Old 10-13-20, 08:11 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 355F1
LoL....I couldn’t figure this out either.
Maybe R-E-S-P-E-C-T?

Quick Reply: Road height clearance? & Buying from a non-Lexus dealer?