LC Model (2018-present)

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 09:45 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceinFla
Thank you for patience for what may be a dumb question to some.
I've had my 18 LC for 10 days now. Already have a nail or something in the left rear tire.
😡
I have an apt at Disc Tire this afternoon to hopefully plug/patch. But, I also need a Plan B.
If the nail, whatever, is where it can't be repaired... I've done some reading and I Think I've seen where the Michelins are slightly preferred. Of course, I have Bridgestones on it now.
Should I mix the 2 brands on the rear or not?
Thank you in advance.
Bruce in Melbourne, Fl

​​
I definitely no longer mix wheel brands and models after doing it on my z3 cars for a season. Huge handling issue as the front grip differ from the rears.

If you are driving in the city and don't expect to do any sort of enthusiastic driving, then maybe it will work. But if you like to push the car when the circumstance allows you to, then no.

If it's just a nail, they should be able to plug even though it's runflats.

The following users liked this post:
BruceinFla (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

definitely don't mix brands left/right, but as r1lee says, if you're not really going for it much, different front/rear brands can be ok, but i wouldn't want all seasons front, summers on back or anything like that.
BruceinFla (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 10:07 AM
FLBill
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you for patience for what may be a dumb question to some.
I've had my 18 LC for 10 days now. Already have a nail or something in the left rear tire.
😡
I have an apt at Disc Tire this afternoon to hopefully plug/patch. But, I also need a Plan B.
If the nail, whatever, is where it can't be repaired... I've done some reading and I Think I've seen where the Michelins are slightly preferred. Of course, I have Bridgestones on it now.
Should I mix the 2 brands on the rear or not?
Thank you in advance.
Bruce in Melbourne, Fl

​​
Hi Bruce,
I recently had a similar experience with my passenger front tire. It could not be repaired as the puncture was too close to the sidewall. I too have the Bridgestone run flats so I had Lexus of Melbourne replace with a new Bridgestone tire. The tire price was $431.00 and Labor was $25.99 for a total of $456.99. Their price was less when I compared to Tire Rack.com’s price (which today has a price of $492.49 for one front tire, the rear tire is priced at $560.91 each) plus I would need to have a local tire shop mount/balance and install the tire at an additional cost. Honestly, I would only trust Lexus to change the tire as I am afraid that the tire shop might scratch or somehow damage the rim with their equipment. I’m pleased with the results and have had no issues to date. I hope this helps you, hopefully your tire can be patched and you can avoid purchasing a new run flat tire.
Bill
BruceinFla (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 10:35 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by FLBill
Hi Bruce,
I recently had a similar experience with my passenger front tire. It could not be repaired as the puncture was too close to the sidewall. I too have the Bridgestone run flats so I had Lexus of Melbourne replace with a new Bridgestone tire.Bill
Dang Bill, super nuclearly helpful!!
Called LoM. Over $100 cheaper installed than Disc Tire for the Bridgestone.
I owe you a beer bud. 👍
Bruce in Melbourne, Fl
Old 09-24-21, 06:09 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Thank the Lord the screw was where it could be repaired and was.
Discount not only didn't charge me but freshened up the TPM sensor.
2 days ago I Did get $750 worth of Camry tires from them and with the LC rears at 7/32, they are obviously wanting me back There for my next new ones.

As Bill noted, the Lexus dealer was by far the cheapest brick and mortar tire place for LC tires. Lexus even has an additional amount off right now on 2 or 4 tires.
Thanks everyone!
Bruce in Melbourne, Fl
Old 09-24-21, 07:16 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

mix tire brands ? most experts would probably agree not to, if there's no compelling reason such as cost or unavailability;
your vehicle was not engineered to have varying handling characteristics front to rear. also, when considering replacement,
remember that the model Bridgestones on our babies were specifically designed for the LC500; other tire manufacturers cant claim that.
BruceinFla (09-30-21)
Old 09-24-21, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmillLC500
remember that the model Bridgestones on our babies were specifically designed for the LC500; other tire manufacturers cant claim that.
really? i thought lexus certified bridgestones, dunlops, and michelins. mine came with dunlop run flats.
BruceinFla (09-30-21)
Old 09-24-21, 07:24 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really? i thought lexus certified bridgestones, dunlops, and michelins. mine came with dunlop run flats.
Not sure on the other brands but I DID See online the press release about the Potenza being designed for the LC.
Bruce in Melbourne, Fl
Old 09-24-21, 08:49 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Not sure on the other brands but I DID See online the press release about the Potenza being designed for the LC.
Bruce in Melbourne, Fl
exactly correct; this claim is not made by the other tire suppliers to the LC. the potenza even has little L s embossed along the edges ...
BruceinFla (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 11:40 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm never quite so sure about the statement "designed for". Certain BMW's and also to my knowledge Jaguars claim only certain tyres work on their cars. On a BMW Z4 apparently I was supposed to use run flats or "ditch finders" as they were known on the forum. Replaced them with conventional (Goodyear) tyres, and they transformed the car. Ride improved dramatically, tram lining ceased and grip was off the scale.For the Jags, it was more a question of reducing tyre noise by typically 1 dBa. In practice, I couldn't detect any increase and felt entirely justified in paying substantially less to achieve the alleged gain.
I'm also interested to hear you can get a RF repaired, this is simply not possible here in the UK regardless where the puncture may be, mores the pity.
BruceinFla (09-30-21)
Old 09-25-21, 02:56 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

The Certification process in cases like this are specifically monetary in nature. A huge discount on the initial installment of tires and hopefully the owners reluctant to get anything but.

Old 09-25-21, 07:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

exactly correct; this claim is not made by the other tire suppliers to the LC. the potenza even has little L s embossed along the edges ...
oh really

Specifically Tuned Tires Include Latest Run-Flat Technology from Michelin

DETROIT, Jan. 11, 2016 The exciting new Lexus LC 500 luxury sports coupe wore MICHELIN® Pilot® Super Sport ZP tires at its world debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit today. For the first time, Michelin engineers deployed a new hybrid sidewall technology that allows the tire to maintain its run-flat capabilities and superior handling performance while also reducing the tire’s overall mass and rolling resistance.

Available on the all-new Lexus LC 500 model, the specially tuned MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport ZP tires were designed to contribute significantly to handling and performance. During an intensive development period, the project included more than 1,200 prototype tires and countless hours of testing at Michelin facilities in Greenville, S.C., and Ladoux, France, as well as Higashifuji proving ground and the Japanese Automobile Research Institute in Shirosato, Japan.

“Michelin’s global development team worked very closely with the Lexus team to develop a Pilot Super Sport that helps meet the high performance and safety needs of the Lexus LC 500,” said Thom Roach, vice president of original equipment marketing, Michelin North America. “Owners will enjoy the peace of mind that Michelin run-flat technology offers without giving up the quiet cabin and comfortable ride that Lexus owners value.”
more here.

https://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus-lc...ichelin-naias/
BruceinFla (09-30-21)
Old 09-25-21, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

from tire warranty here: https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...MS-18LC500.pdf

Old 09-25-21, 09:09 AM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh really

Specifically Tuned Tires Include Latest Run-Flat Technology from Michelin
well, there you go then.... good job
do the michelins have little L s on them ?

Last edited by 74Sprtstr; 09-25-21 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-25-21, 06:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

well, there you go then.... good job
do the michelins have little L s on them ?
thanks i don't know but as my other post says, there's 6 brands of tires offered by Lexus on the LC500.

Quick Reply: Tires