LC Model (2018-present)

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 07:10 PM
HiroY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya! I've been a Mac-a-holic all my life; My first Mac was the 128K and spent probably an LC worth of money on Macs over my lifespan. My friend and I enjoy breaking out our old Mac Plus and SE to relive the good old days, playing favorite vintage games like head to head Strategic Conquest over Appletalk!

Back on thread topic FWIW: I saw a prior post above about Pirelli being the only winter tire option, but I also see a Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 also available on their configurator.
Old 11-07-18, 07:30 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by HiroY
I hear ya! I've been a Mac-a-holic all my life; My first Mac was the 128K and spent probably an LC worth of money on Macs over my lifespan. My friend and I enjoy breaking out our old Mac Plus and SE to relive the good old days, playing favorite vintage games like head to head Strategic Conquest over Appletalk!

Back on thread topic FWIW: I saw a prior post above about Pirelli being the only winter tire option, but I also see a Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 also available on their configurator.
I'm not sure how you configured it, but the Blizzak doesn't show up for me on TireRack - when I search by make, year, model. When looking at the Blizzak itself, it appears that it is available to fit the front size (245/45R20), but I don't see the recommended rear size (275/40R20)...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Blizzak+LM-32
Old 11-07-18, 07:39 PM
HiroY
Driver School Candidate

I'm punching in a 2018 LC and searching for winter tire/wheel package (since I would need a winter set of rims to mount them on) and the 20" recommended size.
Old 11-07-18, 07:56 PM
uchujin
Advanced

I'm punching in a 2018 LC and searching for winter tire/wheel package (since I would need a winter set of rims to mount them on) and the 20" recommended size.
Hmmm... they could be altering the rim width or something. I was maintaining the factory tire sizes when I searched. I personally would only go with the factory recommended sizes - front & back.

I wasn't happy with rims I purchased from TireRack in the past. Tires yes, but the rims I got required hub-centric rings, and the Lexus factory lugs wouldn't fit. They may or may not accept factory TPMS as well. Just do your homework. You can also check eBay for a set of Lexus OEM 20" rims too. There are typically 1 or 2 sets listed whenever I look. If you haven't bought the car yet, you can try to get them to cut you a deal on a set of extra rims - depending on how much profit you've left them in your negotiations.
Old 11-07-18, 08:15 PM
HiroY
Driver School Candidate

Interesting. I've used TireRack exclusively on all my many vehicles over the years, buying winter rims and TPMS sensors and all kinds of tires without any issues, including the winter package that was on my GX where I used the ATEQ. I also had a winter package set on the CT200. I've even been to their massive facility in South Bend, IN and had tires mounted on my S2000 back in the day; very impressive facility. If you got rims through them, they should have come with the required bolts; the Lexus factory bolts certainly were not compatible with the aftermarket rims I've purchased through them, which used conical bolts vs the OEM mag type.
Old 11-07-18, 09:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
but the rims I got required hub-centric rings, and the Lexus factory lugs wouldn't fit.
Most aftermarket wheels require hub-centric rings and cone shaped lug nuts. The lexus OEM lug nuts are special. I am a fan of stock wheels for many reasons. I am running RCF wheels on my ISF.

I usually like to stay away from eBay, but they are a good source for OEM wheels:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-GNUINE-LEXUS-LC500-21-INCH-WHEELS-TIRES-OEM-FACTORY-FORGED-21-LC-500-RARE/173361187500?hash=item285d21caac:g:hloAAOSwQQBbHsTk:rk:3f:0
Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 11-07-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 04:56 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Why not search for a set of wheels on Ebay that are takeoffs that someone didn't want, or ask your dealer if they have a set someone took off their car.
Old 11-08-18, 06:51 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Interesting. I've used TireRack exclusively on all my many vehicles over the years, buying winter rims and TPMS sensors and all kinds of tires without any issues, including the winter package that was on my GX where I used the ATEQ. I also had a winter package set on the CT200. I've even been to their massive facility in South Bend, IN and had tires mounted on my S2000 back in the day; very impressive facility. If you got rims through them, they should have come with the required bolts; the Lexus factory bolts certainly were not compatible with the aftermarket rims I've purchased through them, which used conical bolts vs the OEM mag type.
Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I didn't elaborate too much... Yes, TireRack does a great job with wheel/tire setups. I too received the correct hub-centric rings and conical lugs with the winter setup I bought a few years ago for my RX400h. If you're used to having 2 different sets of hardware and don't mind keeping an eye on the hub rings, you'll be fine I'm sure.

For me though, there were several negative things that bothered me...
  • The lug-cutout holes in the rims were too narrow for my impact socket to fit. They seem to be sized for spline lugs, which are popular in this market.
  • I didn't like having to use the lug adapter tool - just another thing to keep track of. And I don't think it would survive well if I used an impact wrench on it.
  • Hub centric rings would sometimes fall out when changing the wheels - another nuisance to deal with.
So... after that experience, I did exactly what others have suggested - I bought factory rims on eBay that other owners didn't want. They're usually taken off the sellers' cars while still new and typically in perfect condition (although I really wouldn't care about cosmetic issues for winter-only driving). It's sooo nice to be able to use the same lugs on both sets of wheels. I'm a fan of the mag-style lugs. I like that they have more surface-contact area, and I like their chunky look. Factory rims are also approved for the torque and lateral forces for the vehicle. TireRack has excellent test reviews on their tires, but when I asked about specific vehicle force testing for rims, they just told me "they've never had a problem". Since most rims are over-engineered, this probably isn't an issue, but the factory rims give me peace of mind. Of course - I would have this same peace of mind with a set of forged Vossens (or other high-end custom wheels), but who wants to spend $10K on a set of winter wheels?

Anyway, this is all just my preference after trying both routes. It's really nice having both sets of rims be OEM and use the same hardware. And, when you bring the car in for service, the mechanics can use their standard impact tools and sockets, which they prefer. If they scratch a factory wheel, they can replace it. If they damage an aftermarket wheel, I don't know? Good luck? Another thing to keep in mind is - the lug bolts on the LC are larger than other Lexus/Toyota vehicles I've owned (I'm not sure if the GX or LX have the same bigger bolts). The ones on the LC require higher torque. My other Lex/Toy vehicles torque at 76 ft-lbs. The ones on the LC torque at 103 ft-lbs. Just something to keep in mind. Whatever you decide - best of luck!

Last edited by uchujin; 11-08-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-08-18, 11:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Just me, but I would never use an impact wrench on my wheels! As well as the lug nuts being larger, the bolt circle is also larger. I'm not sure about the hub bore.

Lou
Old 11-08-18, 01:52 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Just me, but I would never use an impact wrench on my wheels! As well as the lug nuts being larger, the bolt circle is also larger. I'm not sure about the hub bore.

Lou
I never need one on my LC since I never even use it in the rain - so the lugs always come off easily by hand. I use an impact wrench all the time to REMOVE lugs on my other Lexus and Toyota vehicles (as does every dealership and wheel shop). It's actually safer than forcing the lugs off without the impact effect. The impact helps break loose any frozen lugs without overly forcing them and potentially breaking or stripping a stud. I use a DeWalt battery-cordless wrench (rather than pneumatic) which has less force than pneumatic so the impact is doing most of the work. It does no damage whatsoever to the lugs or wheels. Of course, one should NEVER use an impact wrench to INSTALL lug nuts. Always hand tighten with a properly calibrated torque wrench.

The following users liked this post:
IowaLC (11-08-18)
Old 11-08-18, 03:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Since I have owned my ISF, 10 years now, my wheels have never been removed by the dealer. They have only been removed by me, or Discount Tire. I stand by and watch Discount Tire Remove and Remount my wheels. Again, my ISF has never seen an impact wrench, and never will while I own it. And yes, I use a torque wrench.

Lou
Old 11-15-18, 09:20 AM
dagsmcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chiroppa
hey guys, I'm a relatively new LC owner here. Have a long history with Lexus and but this is a special car. Unfortunately winter is around the corner and looking at options for tires.

Wondering, those that drive their LC's during the winter, what tires are you using? Read in a few places Pirelli Scorpion winter's work in our size though they seems to be designed for SUV's.

Also, for TPMS, I've heard they're a headache (need to be reprogrammed every time you switch tires). Friend recommended I just deal with the dash warning during the winter and avoid hassle of reprogramming. If I don't reprogram, will the summer tires automatically work 4 months later without error? They'll be in storage since i'm using a second set of rims for my snows.

Appreciate the advice, look forward to contributing to the board.

I just put the Scorpion winters on my stock 20s (not switching out the wheels/tire place is storing the summers). The ride is so much better now without the run-flats that I may go with non-run flat Pirellis in the summer (god bless AAA in case of a flat). First light snow today in Connecticut so will report back on handling.
Old 12-08-18, 04:23 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Default Stock summer tires, freezing temps

I've read and understand the recommended use limitations for our stock, summer-only tires, but I'm interested to know if anyone's been using their LC Bridgestone or Michelin tires in dry, near-freezing conditions. If so, I expect there's some noticeable loss of traction as the tire compound becomes more rigid and plastic-like. However, I'm mostly curious to know if anyone has experienced any sidewall cracking or tread chipping - which apparently can occur as the rubber becomes more brittle in colder conditions. I ask because we're having some beautiful, dry, but very cold weather lately and, you know... it's hard to resist the temptation to take her out for a blast before the real nasty weather arrives! I've heard that some summer-only tires are more forgiving than others, so it would be good to get some actual perspective from real-world experiences.
Old 12-08-18, 05:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Why tempt fate

Lou
Old 12-08-18, 05:26 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I drove my PSS Tires in temps in the 30's without any permanent effects. But it wasn't for more than a few days and traction was horrible. I don't normally ever break loose in 3rd gear. But I broke loose in those temps. So you can imagine what 1st and 2nd gear would be like.

I have all seasons for cold weather. But I don't do snow. It's not an issue here in South Florida. But if snow were an issue then I'd run dedicated winter tires if I chose to drive my RC F at all in the snow.
The following users liked this post:
uchujin (12-09-18)

Quick Reply: Tires