LC Model (2018-present)

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 10:51 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
Snow mode is on the left side of the instrument binnacle. Opposite of the drive mode. Twist the top toward yourself and shazam - Snow mode!

Cool! Thanks!

Old 10-30-19, 02:29 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 21" OEM runflat replacement tires

My OEM runflats are starting to wear a little thin. I don't know anything about tires. I do know that the runflats can't be patched if punctured close to the sidewall, which I do not like. And I wonder if standard tires would be more grippy.

Winter is coming, but it's not going to be significant where I am in Dallas. I'm sure as hell not the kind of person to switch tires with the season.

Any recommendations? Can you tell me what tires you've put on your LCs (21") and what your experience has been? Where did you order?

Does anyone know how much the same OEM tires are?
Old 10-30-19, 04:57 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

I did a search at Tirerack.com and the only non-run flat 21" option is this. I currently do not own a LC, just itching for one : ).
Anyway, if I do get an LC, I probably will look for an LC with the 20" tire instead of the 21", for a less stiffer ride since I am in the SF bay area. The roads/highways here aren't exactly in pristine condition.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...00&autoModClar=
Old 10-31-19, 08:49 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Actually the wheel widths on the LC are ridiculously small. Only 8½" and 9½" front to rear. I have replaced my wheels with Vossen 9½" and 10½" front to rear. The RCF and GSF have 9" and 10" width wheels. I am running 255/40/21 and 295/35/21 Michelin PS4S tires and they are a great tire for our cars.

For the stock 21" wheels, there are a few more choices using a slightly larger tire, still in the recommended sizes to fit your wheels, than the stock size. But, I would still recommend the Pirelli P Zero, as posted above - but 255/740/21 in front and 285/35/21 in back. The MPS4S is not available in the 285/35/21 size.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
nodeal (11-03-19)
Old 10-31-19, 09:56 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

I drive on the Michelin 21'' and only have good comments about the whole package (car/suspension/tire dynamics) I use the car on Quebec roads which are nowhere near pristine either. BTW you should expect 50% less mileage out of the Pirellis recommended by Lou, those things melt just by looking at them.
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperGT:
nodeal (11-03-19), Oilman (11-01-19)
Old 10-31-19, 11:04 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^There are other choices:

1. CONTISPORTCONTACT 5P - I have had poor tire performance and poor customer service with Continental Tires.

2. Dunlop SPORT MAXX RT2 - A more expensive option.

Therefore the Pirelli is my choice out of a limited selection. As far as wear, Tire Rack respondents did rate them low in the wear category.

Lou
nodeal (11-03-19)
Old 11-01-19, 02:02 PM
Oilman
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The tire wear rating on the Pirelli is only 220. Very poor compared to the competitors numbers of 280 to 300.
Old 11-01-19, 02:13 PM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilman
The tire wear rating on the Pirelli is only 220. Very poor compared to the competitors numbers of 280 to 300.
One needs to understand that treadwear rating is based within a manufacturer's own product portfolio, it's not an industry benchmark comparing brands against eachother.
Old 05-20-20, 02:47 PM
North1Star
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Old thread, but same question.

My Michellan Pilot Super Sport ZP 21" original set runflats are dry and started to show some cracks. They are 2017 production so its time to replace them.

Runflats are a must for me, I searched Tire Rack and I was shocked that there are no other "good" options other than Pirelli P Zero with horrible treadwear. Other options showing are Dunlop and Bridgestone with poor ratings.

Are there any runflat tires that fit the 21" OEM wheels that you guys recommend other than what is mentioned above?
Old 05-21-20, 12:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^If you want RFTs in the stock size - Not much choice The stock Michelins are the best choice IMHO.

Lou
Craig B (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20, 07:53 PM
North1Star
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^If you want RFTs in the stock size - Not much choice The stock Michelins are the best choice IMHO.

Lou
Thats the result i ended up with as well. Thanks Lou
Old 07-01-20, 03:57 AM
pottypants
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New tires, have questions

Gents & ladies,

I have the 20" rims and just had Continental DWS06 installed.
lets be polite and say the process/install was lacking. The tire
place installed 45s on the rear so i have a few questions.

1. since the factory rear tires were 275/40/r20 will there be any
rubbing issues ? i suspect not but it is 1" higher sidewall

2. anybody actually running the same sidewall height as the front ?
any benefits or negatives from having the same ?

3. how is the over/understeer with the change in rear tires vs stock height.

i'm just trying to understand is the 45 vs 40 a really big deal for the back.
plus they would match the front height.

I know there is probably a reduction in cornering & change in speedo.
once identified, they would order the correct size and install asap.

thanks for your time

ppp
Old 07-01-20, 08:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Don't really know, but the factory electronics are set up for the wheel/tire combo to be the same height dimensionally, front to back. Your back tires are now 1" taller than they should be. What did they put on the front? Are they going to fix the issue? As far as Continental is concerned my experience has been dismal. I will never own a Continental tire again:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xtreme-dw.html

Edit - Just to add - I trust my tire place, Discount Tire But, whenever I buy tires for me or anyone else, I look the tires before they're installed and watch while they are being installed. Over cautious, I'm sure
Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-01-20 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-01-20, 09:21 AM
pottypants
Rookie

Originally Posted by flowrider

Edit - Just to add - I trust my tire place, Discount Tire But, whenever I buy tires for me or anyone else, I look the tires before they're installed and watch while they are being installed. Over cautious, I'm sure
Lou
Lou,

the tires they put on the front were the correct size, ironically mavis is the place. pretty rough how it all went down.

1. ordered from the 1800 number. set install 4 days away.
2. arrive early wait 90 minutes , have them pull all 4 rims off to find they were only sent 2.
"you dont have normal tires they are staggered" oh thats why its so tough to get 4 tires. mavis has some problem
with a set of 4 tires. the promos they run are for 4 tires of the same size. not for the car. "ill order the correct tires
and we can install on tuesday"
3. after arriving ,1 hr later they pull the car in and proceed to take one wheel off every 30 minutes. 4 hrs later i was leaving
and checked out the install at home and found the incorrect size on rear as well as the valve wasnt replaced/rebuilt on the rims.
4. drove back caught mgr and he apologized didnt realize he ordered the wrong tires said he'd get the right ones.
5. figured a call back asap today. guess not.

I didnt think of ABS/TCS etc and how that might come into play, so i will ensure the correct size is installed.

always something

ppp

Old 07-04-20, 07:40 AM
pottypants
Rookie

Havent driven the car since the install...
took a deep dive today & short drive today in the sunlight....

found the following...

⦁ a couple of nicks on the driver's side body panel (these were NOT there prior to install).
⦁ I also find the TPMS nuts were not scratched = not touched = not rebuilt.
⦁ I find a couple of the rims have minor scratches = tolerable.
⦁ I also find the TPMS on the front was swapped so its reporting from the wrong RF is now LF. i question if the back are incorrect as well.
⦁ Additionally the alignment spec sheet was based off of the option of Rear wheel steering. which my car doesnt have. i question if the alignment specs are the same.

will push the local store hard tomorrow (if they are open) and will contact corporate on Monday. confidence is gone, one inch away from disputing claim.
sure as hell don't want them working on my car any further, but we shall see. if there is any further work, I'll prob be right at the stall and babysitting EVERY step of the process.

MAN I GET BETTER SERVICE AT PEPBOYS. wonder if thats where pepboys employees go when they are fired ?

Quick Reply: Tires