Old 11-02-20, 01:39 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts
Default My White with Black Top over Toasted Caramel

Been gone awhile

The LC convertible floated my boat enough to go for it

Here it is with its new friend

Only drove it a few miles, super smooth drivetrain, the engine sounds are a treat, build quality is great

Tomorrow will be in the 60s, looking forward to driving it with the top down

The following 6 users liked this post by S2000toIS350:
BlueIS05 (11-04-20), DaveGS4 (12-23-20), pkim1078 (11-05-20), shutterguy (03-07-21), superfly32 (11-02-20), web4488 (11-03-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-20, 02:22 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 637 Likes on 408 Posts

Hey hey! Lookin' good, my dude!!!!!

Mine lands at Port tomorrow and I hope to have it by the end of the month!

Congrats!!!

Post some more pics and thoughts about it after your drive!!!
Old 11-02-20, 02:43 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Thanks

I haven't seen structural blue in person yet but I am sure it will be stunning in the flesh.

Most of the cars coming in are "over loaded".

Mine included the CF door sills.

I had no luck finding the spec I wanted near me. It seems like only about 1 in 5 dealers even has one at a given time.

The dealers around Chicago were happy to take a custom order, but likely a 6 month project. No discounts on in stock or ordered cars.

I found a car I liked in Texas and the dealer, Alderson was really a pleasure to work with.

As a heads up, cars are slower coming out of port than in the past. My car was due to the dealership on the 15th and was received on the 24th.

Here is a picture of the interior (very warm feeling), which includes the CF.

The following 2 users liked this post by S2000toIS350:
355F1 (11-02-20), shutterguy (03-07-21)
Old 11-02-20, 04:25 PM
355F1
Racer

Lexus of Portland's first LC took 5 weeks to arrive after clearing The Port....which is also in Portland.
Old 11-02-20, 07:51 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

you're gonna love your new wheels bro - i have 31K on my 2019 caviar/carmel, and i still
CANT GET ENOUGH
and its a dream to drive...
Old 11-03-20, 02:28 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Today was in the upper 50s and I got a top down drive in.

The top mechanism is very precision robo.

Having the screen show progress of the roof changeover makes sense. I was going by sound and stopped prior to the tonneau dropping into place.

Pairing my phone was really easy and I got a call during my drive, sound was quite natural with the top town.

I had a chance to do some side to side driving as there was a bit of road construction and cones. The car is super easy to maneuver, and really feels nicely planted.

I like the size of the car, not so small to feel like a death trap, and not so large to feel like a barge.

It is also really easy to get in and out of. For contrast, the NSX is very low and I basically fall into butt first, and climb out of it.

The sound is truly a star feature, it seems to be best when you are up around 3-4K RPM and then mash the pedal, essentially a progressive sound track.

Acceleration is spirited but not crazy, I would never confuse the thrust with that in the NSX (but the LC has a different purpose).

Cruising and occasionally punching it is so much fun in this car.

The seat comfort is delicious, and it feels like you can just drive the car for hours without fatigue.

I am looking forward to some highway time this week end.

The breaking feels quite natural. I haven't tried emergency stopping yet. There is plenty of braking power.

Ride quality is well above what I am used to, and I can see this contributing to owners loving to just drive and drive in these cars.

I tried the HUD (never would have ordered a car with it), kind of cool but kind of like being in the Optometrist's office.

I could certainly see the car turning some heads, any car with the top down in November in Chicago should be enough to attract eyes.

For my next outing I will try Car Play and maybe use the Nav.
The following users liked this post:
355F1 (11-03-20)
Old 11-03-20, 02:34 PM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Today was in the upper 50s and I got a top down drive in.

The top mechanism is very precision robo.

Having the screen show progress of the roof changeover makes sense. I was going by sound and stopped prior to the tonneau dropping into place.

Pairing my phone was really easy and I got a call during my drive, sound was quite natural with the top town.

I had a chance to do some side to side driving as there was a bit of road construction and cones. The car is super easy to maneuver, and really feels nicely planted.

I like the size of the car, not so small to feel like a death trap, and not so large to feel like a barge.

It is also really easy to get in and out of. For contrast, the NSX is very low and I basically fall into butt first, and climb out of it.

The sound is truly a star feature, it seems to be best when you are up around 3-4K RPM and then mash the pedal, essentially a progressive sound track.

Acceleration is spirited but not crazy, I would never confuse the thrust with that in the NSX (but the LC has a different purpose).

Cruising and occasionally punching it is so much fun in this car.

The seat comfort is delicious, and it feels like you can just drive the car for hours without fatigue.

I am looking forward to some highway time this week end.

The breaking feels quite natural. I haven't tried emergency stopping yet. There is plenty of braking power.

Ride quality is well above what I am used to, and I can see this contributing to owners loving to just drive and drive in these cars.

I tried the HUD (never would have ordered a car with it), kind of cool but kind of like being in the Optometrist's office.

I could certainly see the car turning some heads, any car with the top down in November in Chicago should be enough to attract eyes.

For my next outing I will try Car Play and maybe use the Nav.
Excellent post!!! Keep 'em coming!!!!

You might wanna call your Lexus dealer today and ask if there is anything they can do for you with the just announced $3,000 Lexus cash towards 2021 'verts.......
Old 11-05-20, 06:46 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Today was a great day with the car

Top down going to work and coming home, pretty good for Chicago in November.

I wnet windows down in the morning and up in the evening. The windows up approach is certainly more cozy but I still felt connected to the outdoors.

This car is such a treat, its been 15 years since I sold the S2000, so a long gap between open air driving.

The car is so nice on the highway, doesn't get blown around by gusty winds at all.

The ride is not pillowy but I can't fine a word to bridge pillowy and taught.

The thing I brain focused on was steering input. I am used to the NSX which requires amazing little and the Q50 which is semi-autonomous and does a lot of the steering itself. The point is the LC 500 is heavy and you to have to steer it, but the steering is quite enjoyable.

I got on the car a few times on the highway to experience the full exhaust note, really really nice at the top revs. The funny thing is I hear all that internal combustion music but the drivetrain and getting the power down is silky smooth. Discordant inputs to my brain but totally smile inducing.

On the smile inducing point, I was stopped at a light and a lady was sitting her her Jeep next to me. She turned to me and smiled in a serene and genuine manner. The way to do when you see something you really, really like and imagine yourself enjoying (instead of the old bald guy currently behind the wheel).

Got Car Play going and the stereo with the top town and a Pandora based input was excellent.

Getting more used to the infotainment track pad. I find that being gently with sliding my finger avoids some of the overshooting of desired selections. I can live with it but would have preferred a touch screen.

I stopped into one of my local dealerships to see what they would do on a set of winter wheels. Just over $12K without tires made me laugh. I will likely get a set of take offs from eBay and buy the Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 run craps. The non run craps I have for the NSX are wonderful.

I contacted my detail shop about covering the CF sills with film. My work day blew up and I couldn't get there. prior to closing time Try again next week. The CF sills are a nice combination of matte and gloss finish.

Here is a pic of the car in my favorite parking spot at work.

The following 6 users liked this post by S2000toIS350:
1wacko (11-05-20), 355F1 (11-05-20), BS ISF (11-10-20), guanche2k9 (11-06-20), redhot47fl (11-06-20), shutterguy (03-07-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-05-20, 08:22 PM
355F1
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Today was a great day with the car

I wnet windows down in the morning and up in the evening. The windows up approach is certainly more cozy but I still felt connected to the outdoors.

This car is such a treat, its been 15 years since I sold the S2000, so a long gap between open air driving.

On the smile inducing point, I was stopped at a light and a lady was sitting her her Jeep next to me. She turned to me and smiled in a serene and genuine manner. The way to do when you see something you really, really like and imagine yourself enjoying (instead of the old bald guy currently behind the wheel).

Getting more used to the infotainment track pad. I find that being gently with sliding my finger avoids some of the overshooting of desired selections. I can live with it but would have preferred a touch screen.
Looks like I will not be the ONLY bald guy driving top-down in one of these!!!!

I sold my 1999 F355 Spider in 2012.....so it has been over 8 years since I have owned any convertible. I was a little nervous I would have regrets....but I live in AZ now and I can drive it almost all year with the top down.

I owned my F355 for 4 years split between OR and NE!

Man....I am getting so excited here! I have watched literally EVERY video on Youtube and every review on the internet about this effing car. I have no life, it seems!!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST!!!!!! Glad you are enjoying this ride!

(I had the new NSX on my list to cross-shop before I decided to buy an LC but I went and looked at one in person and it just didn't do anything for me. I hope you are enjoying yours )
Old 11-06-20, 06:01 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I have had my NSX for a little over 4 years, wonderful car, misunderstood in the market.

Honda made a bunch of errors in the program (start,stop, change, etc. led to late arrival, the design brief was to compete with the 458, but late launch had it up against the 488 and it was down on power from the get go, lack of broad customization, no nose lift, no electric folding mirrors, blah blah).

Looks like a spaceship, not for everyone. I get tons of thumbs up, most folks have never seen one, very popular at cars and coffee.

The 355 looks and sounds at the top of the game.

The engine out services frighten folks for sure. the NSX requires one for valve adjustments at 75K miles. If I live long enough to get to that service (under 13K miles on the car now, so another 15 years away) I will celebrate the big bill.
355F1 (11-06-20)
Old 11-08-20, 01:35 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Today's adventure

78 degrees in Chicago on November 8, crazy

I took my wife to Warren Dunes State Park in Michigan, about 80 miles from Chicago, about an 1 and 40 minutes each way

Went top down windows up both ways, no windscreen

Stayed in Eco mode as my wife is not a fan out loud cars

Really got to experience how plush the ride is for distance driving, so comfy, just let the seats gently cradle you and watch the miles add up, got there and home and no driving fatigue, happy camper

The seating position is well thought out, everywhere I would rest my arms feels nice, the wheel and steering feel are great

Doing 60 the car was at about 1200 RPM and at 80 around 1800 RPM

Again, I have never owned a V8 and this thing just sails along with ease

Had more chances to see what the brakes can do on the way home, very confident slowing this heavy car down

Wind noise was a bit too much for an easy conversation on the road, I will try the wind screen next time

Tried the nav this time, so improved over my former 06 IS350, I know it's not the state of the art, funny how it lets you know each time you cross into another state and shows a picture of something the state is known for

When leaving the parking lot in Michigan I could hear a few folks saying positive things about the car, as well as seeing a big smile from a lady in an RV when we passed by

In the alley where I rent a garage a young boy, maybe 7 was out with his dad and said, gee, that's a nice car and the dad replied yes it is
The following 4 users liked this post by S2000toIS350:
355F1 (11-20-20), DRGibbons (11-08-20), redhot47fl (11-08-20), web4488 (11-09-20)
Old 11-19-20, 05:59 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

My dealership has been working through the post delivery punch list.

I received my all weather floor liners (WeatherTech does not appear to make them for the LC).

My IL registration and plates came today. I am still working on ideas for the vanity plates.

Last open item is the lug nuts to replace the wheel locks (I have always been more afraid of these rusting or losing the key and not being able to get a flat fixed).

Today was 65 degrees in Chicago, crazy.

I went for a nice evening top down cruise.

The headlights are excellent.

I tried comfort mode for the first time. The ride is noticeably softer, really enjoyable for putting along in traffic.

Also did a bunch of pulls from stop signs to take in some of that V8 music.

Tried voice command for the first time. Works just fine (after the car tries to convince you to watch a video on how to use it).

Most memorable comment I heard about the car today was from a group of teenage boys I drove past, "wow, loooook at that car".

Next up is the winter wheels and tires project.

I found a set of staggered 21 inch take off wheels from a shop in FL ($2500 delivered). They came from a 2020 LC 500 coupe at JM Lexus which was delivered with aftermarket wheels, so the wheels I purchased didn't see any time on the road. They come with the center caps. The wheels should arrive to me tomorrow.

My local servicing dealer ordered the Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 run flats in OEM sizes from TireRack ($2107.80 for the set delivered, pass through pricing). The tires should arrive to the dealer tomorrow. I was not able to find a snow tire that came in the OEM 20 inch staggered sizes. I subsequently found that Vredestein offers 20 inch OEM size snows (non run flat). I have the Sotto Zero 3 (non run flat) on my NSX and they make the car so easy to use in cold/damp weather.

The servicing dealer will provide the sensors and the fitting kits, build them up, put them on the car, do the programming and store my summer wheels for me (probably next week).

For reference, prior to setting the project in motion, I stopped into another dealership on my way home from work and had them provide a quote on the wheels.

You are going to love these numbers.

Front wheel $2708.81 each (requires 2)
Rear wheel $2726.18 each (requires 2)
Sensors $91.34 each (requires 4)
Fitting kit 7.53 each (requires 4)

Parts Sum $11,265.46
Tax $901.24
Sum $12,166.79 and that is without the tires

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 11-19-20 at 08:27 PM.
355F1 (11-20-20)
Old 11-20-20, 01:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

FedEx got the wheels to me today
I brought them to the dealer
They came triple boxed so a tight fit to get them all in my Q50
The dealer received the tires today as well
They just wanted my VIN to determine which sensors to use
The project is scheduled to be completed on Monday
bitkahuna (11-20-20)
Old 11-23-20, 03:54 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

The winter tires went on the car with the second set of wheels today.

Really happy with the results.

The take off wheels I purchased are in perfect condition (as advertised).

They programmed these as the second set so easy a/b switch overs in the future.

The comedy moment was when I cam e and the service advisor looked at the car in a puzzled way and ask if I had the soft top installed. My response being no, its a 21 and his reply was never seen one of these. This speaks to some comments I have seen of forums noting that many folks working in dealerships are not car folks, its more about having a solid job.

Normally they do machine washing but the advisor arranged for a hand wash of the car.

355F1 (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Nice, so you have 2 sets of identical factory 21's right?

Quick Reply: My White with Black Top over Toasted Caramel