LC Model (2018-present)

A tale of three Lexus dealerships and the LC: Is this common?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 02:42 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts
Default A tale of three Lexus dealerships and the LC: Is this common?

As an introduction and for the record, I owned Lexuses (Lexi?) for more than a decade, giving them up only when we moved to a town hundreds of miles from the nearest Lexus dealership.

Also, fwiw, I trade cars frequently, probably too frequently, and I know how to plant a seed that generally flowers into a deal.

In recent months, as I've mentioned here before, I've become intrigued by the LC500 'vert and have been, frankly, just trying to find one that I can take a close look at.

I know that they are in short supply, but the response I've received thus far from three consecutive dealerships has been nearly universal and truly surprising - insofar as it has been close to no response.

Dealer No. 1, the closest though still 150 miles away: First car sold before I could get there. Second car sold before it even arrived there. Fair enough, but no offer to try to find me one, no subsequent proactive communication whatsoever from the salesman, delays stretching into days when I reach out for an update.

Dealer No. 2, several hundred miles away: No response to my first inquiry. An automated response from the sales manager to my second inquiry, with a promise to get immediately back in touch with me. No further response from the sales manager or a sales associate.

Dealer No. 3, even farther away: A fellow who immediately responded to my interest in a car he offered for sale through social media, with a promise to follow up with more information. No further response.

Am I just batting 0 for 3, hitting a series of underperforming dealerships, or has something changed since I last shopped Lexus?

Last edited by redhot47fl; 11-24-20 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 03:23 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

When I was looking the two local stores I visited had pre-sold their first ones.

I found a car in KY I liked, reached out, was told the car was available, then crickets for a week and a half. When I reached out again I was informed the GM sold it to a local customer (turned out it was pre-sold but the GM didn't share the info with his sales staff).

I contacted a few other dealers who lost interest when I asked for a discount.

It seems like you have to keeps fishing around to find a dealer who is going to be responsive.

I ended up working with Alderson Lexus in Lubbock TX and they were terrific from start to finish.
The following users liked this post:
redhot47fl (11-24-20)
Old 11-24-20, 06:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

This is the internet age. When I was looking for my LC back in 2019, I searched the net. There are many sites that let you enter the vehicle you're interested in and allow you to search, the country or a specified area. I'm in Arizona, but found my car at Lexus of Lincoln, Nebraska. I negotiated over the phone and a friend and I flew over and drove the car home. Another member here (355F1) is also from Arizona and is purchasing his Inspiration vert from a dealer in Portland Oregon. He's having the car shipped.

IOW, you have many options.

Lou
KayGee (11-25-20)
Old 11-24-20, 06:24 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flowrider
This is the internet age. When I was looking for my LC back in 2019, I searched the net. There are many sites that let you enter the vehicle you're interested in and allow you to search, the country or a specified area. I'm in Arizona, but found my car at Lexus of Lincoln, Nebraska. I negotiated over the phone and a friend and I flew over and drove the car home. Another member here (355F1) is also from Arizona and is purchasing his Inspiration vert from a dealer in Portland Oregon. He's having the car shipped.

IOW, you have many options.

Lou
Yes, but I haven’t been able to arrange with a cooperative dealer within driving range just to see the thing in person and sit in one, which seems rather advisable before searching around the nation to buy one.

Last edited by redhot47fl; 11-24-20 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 07:13 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 646 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
Yes, but I haven’t been able to arrange with a cooperative dealer within driving range just to see the thing in person and sit in one, which seems rather advisable before searching around the nation to buy one.
You are going to have to call around and tell them you want to see one before it is delivered. I got the call here in Scottsdale at 9am that their Inspiration Series was just delivered to the dealer, and was going through PDI to be delivered to the customer at 1pm. I went down at 11am and saw it but they would not let me sit in it. It was the same when they got their red one in in Sept.

These are hot cars....you're most likely NOT going to be able to even test-drive one any time soon.

I will sell you my Inspiration Series for a premium over MSRP if you are interested. I am picking it up Monday.
74Sprtstr (11-24-20)
Old 11-24-20, 09:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Except for the look, the driving dynamics of the LC coupe are much like the convertible, so if you sit in or test drive a coupe you'll have a pretty good idea of the feel and the accruements of the droptop.

Lou
Old 11-24-20, 10:19 PM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by flowrider
Except for the look, the driving dynamics of the LC coupe are much like the convertible, so if you sit in or test drive a coupe you'll have a pretty good idea of the feel and the accruements of the droptop.

Lou
I took a 2021 coupe on a nice 30-minute test drive to get a feel for the car.
Old 11-25-20, 03:31 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 355F1
I will sell you my Inspiration Series for a premium over MSRP if you are interested. I am picking it up Monday.
Ha! I’ve been following your long wait and adventures. Pretty sure there isn’t enough money in the world to make that happen. 😀
355F1 (11-25-20)
Old 11-25-20, 06:55 AM
355F1
Racer

Ha! I’ve been following your long wait and adventures. Pretty sure there isn’t enough money in the world to make that happen. 😀
Actually.....I think I am going to list it for sale on cars.com for 30 days for a premium. If someone wants it I will sell it for a nice profit.

If it doesn't sell for what I want within 30 days I will keep it.
Old 11-25-20, 12:42 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Actually.....I think I am going to list it for sale on cars.com for 30 days for a premium. If someone wants it I will sell it for a nice profit.

HAHA. I assume you're being sarcastic. . NO one will pay you MSRP, let alone a premium.
Old 11-25-20, 01:15 PM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by TimboIS
HAHA. I assume you're being sarcastic. . NO one will pay you MSRP, let alone a premium.

Not so sure I would agree with that. I still haven't decided. Almost every Lexus dealer in CA sold their Inspiration Series verts for $30-50k over MSRP......so idk.....
Old 11-26-20, 11:24 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

list it in Houston, Miami and Southern Cali. Didn’t one in Houston go for $190k there? I for one hope you double your money. Not often that happens with cars and when it does it’s not often you see an individual pull it off. I
Old 11-26-20, 11:45 AM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by winterturb
list it in Houston, Miami and Southern Cali. Didn’t one in Houston go for $190k there? I for one hope you double your money. Not often that happens with cars and when it does it’s not often you see an individual pull it off. I
I live in AZ.....it will most likely be someone in CA or AZ who is a buyer.
Old 11-26-20, 08:01 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

I live in AB and bought my last 911 in Orlando FL. That car belongs in Miami Beach, or Coronado one of the two.
Old 11-27-20, 06:35 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 180 Posts

I concur. Only thing though is that I'm afraid that most of the interested people are already on this forum or on the FB pages. Nevertheless, if you get your price, then go for it!

Originally Posted by winterturb
I live in AB and bought my last 911 in Orlando FL. That car belongs in Miami Beach, or Coronado one of the two.
Just curious, did you purchase your Porsche from the dealer in Orlando, or from a private party?

Quick Reply: A tale of three Lexus dealerships and the LC: Is this common?