LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 trans overheating issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 08:45 AM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 249 Posts

Bitka. threeputt thanks for the clarity and yes options is the word, sometimes this computer populates what I do not LOL. Operator error most of the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by fodalo:
bitkahuna (04-05-22), threeputt (04-05-22)
Old 06-28-23, 01:07 PM
21LC500Ins
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track time at COTA

I had my first track day in my unmodified LC500 and I pushed the car at 9/10 pace with stability control active at all times. There were a few seconds faster that could be improved by being more aggressive however stickier track tires are what's needed to go faster.

Performance was absolutely amazing from the engine and brakes. The transmission is an amazing mind reader until it overheats at every 3 laps (~8min). Although the outside temp was nearly 100F I was REALLY disappointed that I missed a ton of track time stuck in the pits waiting for the High Trans Temp warning to go away. The car never went into limp mode but I had to pit 4 times on Saturday and 6 times on Sunday to allow it to cool off for about 3 minutes.

The LC impressed EVERYONE that a LEXUS LC500 was at the track and fit in with the group's huge array of big dollar Porsches and BWMs. The LC got more looks than the countless Porsches that cost triple the price. With equivalent tires the LC wouldn’t be embarrassed in the same run group.

I posted a couple videos on YouTube as my username LC500.

https://youtu.be/U48Iiv3VK6I
​​​​​​​

Last edited by 21LC500Ins; 06-28-23 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added a link
The following 2 users liked this post by 21LC500Ins:
Charedj (07-28-23), DFW-SC430 (07-31-23)
Old 06-28-23, 04:47 PM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 21LC500Ins
I had my first track day in my unmodified LC500 and I pushed the car at 9/10 pace with stability control active at all times. There were a few seconds faster that could be improved by being more aggressive however stickier track tires are what's needed to go faster.

Performance was absolutely amazing from the engine and brakes. The transmission is an amazing mind reader until it overheats at every 3 laps (~8min). Although the outside temp was nearly 100F I was REALLY disappointed that I missed a ton of track time stuck in the pits waiting for the High Trans Temp warning to go away. The car never went into limp mode but I had to pit 4 times on Saturday and 6 times on Sunday to allow it to cool off for about 3 minutes.

The LC impressed EVERYONE that a LEXUS LC500 was at the track and fit in with the group's huge array of big dollar Porsches and BWMs. The LC got more looks than the countless Porsches that cost triple the price. With equivalent tires the LC wouldn’t be embarrassed in the same run group.

https://youtu.be/jnF2NVZvFvo
​​​​​​​

Your 2021 IS looks very good. I have a choice to pick between same as your but with 2000 miles or the Vert with 0 mile.I pickedthe vert. But sometime I think I should go with the IS.
Old 06-29-23, 07:43 AM
21LC500Ins
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dknyov
Your 2021 IS looks very good. I have a choice to pick between same as your but with 2000 miles or the Vert with 0 mile.I pickedthe vert. But sometime I think I should go with the IS.
The car is an LC not an IS...
Old 06-29-23, 07:52 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

https://youtu.be/jnF2NVZvFvo

I've always thought of tracking my LC at COTA but was worried that the brakes wouldn't hold up. I'm surprised your unmodified brakes did?

What speed were you hitting on the back straight? Also what tires were you on?

And I do wonder if the trans would overheat in cooler temps. 100 degree air temp means the track temp is more like 130 degrees
Old 06-29-23, 08:22 AM
21LC500Ins
7th Gear

In the second YouTube video you'll see the speedo was at 134 but it did hit 138 on another runs that I allowed my instructor to do 10/10 with the car.
The brakes were 100% no fade and worked flawless all day.
Tires were 80% worn Pirelli Pzero Run Flats (38-41psi) that did really well for street tires with a 320 wear rating. I have replaced this week with Michelin 4S.
The trans did run cooler in Sport vs Sport+ and saw a few extra minutes before overheat. The car is actually easier to drive smoothly on the track in Sport because the revs hold at a lower gear when transitioning on/off gas at 50% throttle through the S and in the long smooth right hander T16/17/18 where smooth torque is better than max hp.

I have done both Lexus events - the regular one at COTA and the Master class at Sonoma - the LCs at both events never overheated at lower ambient temps and driven at maximum of 7/10 in lead follow.

I will be running the car again at Barber next weekend. I will share my experience if y'all are interested to hear more.

I plan to add a second trans fluid/engine oil heat exchanger in series with the existing one. There is room next to the current heat exchanger to put a second identical factory unit that is plumbed in daisy chain. The heat exchangers don't rely on air cooling so they are small and can be easily mounted.
The following 2 users liked this post by 21LC500Ins:
Badhobz (06-29-23), Charedj (07-28-23)
Old 06-29-23, 08:33 AM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

The car is an LC not an IS...
By IS I mean Inspiration Seri not IS model.
The following users liked this post:
Charedj (07-28-23)
Old 06-29-23, 08:43 AM
21LC500Ins
7th Gear

My fault - I like your abbreviation - I will use that in future too
The following users liked this post:
Charedj (07-28-23)
Old 06-29-23, 09:41 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

In the second YouTube video you'll see the speedo was at 134 but it did hit 138 on another runs that I allowed my instructor to do 10/10 with the car.
The brakes were 100% no fade and worked flawless all day.
Tires were 80% worn Pirelli Pzero Run Flats (38-41psi) that did really well for street tires with a 320 wear rating. I have replaced this week with Michelin 4S.
The trans did run cooler in Sport vs Sport+ and saw a few extra minutes before overheat. The car is actually easier to drive smoothly on the track in Sport because the revs hold at a lower gear when transitioning on/off gas at 50% throttle through the S and in the long smooth right hander T16/17/18 where smooth torque is better than max hp.

I have done both Lexus events - the regular one at COTA and the Master class at Sonoma - the LCs at both events never overheated at lower ambient temps and driven at maximum of 7/10 in lead follow.

I will be running the car again at Barber next weekend. I will share my experience if y'all are interested to hear more.

I plan to add a second trans fluid/engine oil heat exchanger in series with the existing one. There is room next to the current heat exchanger to put a second identical factory unit that is plumbed in daisy chain. The heat exchangers don't rely on air cooling so they are small and can be easily mounted.
I'm v impressed the brakes didn't fade. Did you do brake flush before/after?

The PS4S will perform significantly better than the Pirelli RFTs.

Maybe I'll do the Edge Addicts COTA event in the LC in Oct.

Appreciate the intel and vote of confidence that the LC can hold its own at the track
Old 07-28-23, 05:48 AM
21LC500Ins
7th Gear

Default Hope to see another LC500 at COTA October 8

Hopefully another LC500 comes for a track day with me. Edge Addicts is hosting event.
Old 07-31-23, 03:53 PM
DFW-SC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the story with the front "Texas" license plate?
Old 07-31-23, 07:27 PM
21LC500Ins
7th Gear

Originally Posted by DFW-SC430
What's the story with the front "Texas" license plate?
hmm… not sure what you’re asking? Texas requires front plates… Google “AvaLAN” to learn more
Old 07-31-23, 09:28 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

If you do another track day, try the car in Sport S rather than Sport S+. The Lexus Performance Driving School has a stable of these cars for track use, and they specifically put the transmissions in Sport S rather than Sport S+ to keep the transmissions from overheating. They never do more than ~3-4 laps before a cooldown period so it may be putting off the inevitable, but we saw a definite difference in trans temps in Sport S vs Sport S+.
Old 07-31-23, 09:32 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
I've always thought of tracking my LC at COTA but was worried that the brakes wouldn't hold up. I'm surprised your unmodified brakes did?

What speed were you hitting on the back straight? Also what tires were you on?
LPDS / Lexus Performance Driving School has done sessions at COTA in the past with stock LCs under ~1K miles, I've had their LCs to 140+ on the back straight. Four groups a day doing 9-12 laps each, for three days. Your car can do COTA.
Old 08-01-23, 09:57 PM
21LC500Ins
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jbuffett
LPDS / Lexus Performance Driving School has done sessions at COTA in the past with stock LCs under ~1K miles, I've had their LCs to 140+ on the back straight. Four groups a day doing 9-12 laps each, for three days. Your car can do COTA.
I’ve done Lexus events at COTA and an actual track day in my own LC500… the Lexus events are lead-follow format and you can’t go 140+ without ramming the instructor car… the fastest I’ve hit is 138 at track day at COTA.

How did you hit 140+?

Quick Reply: LC500 trans overheating issues?