LC Model (2018-present)

Flapping Noise When Letting Off The Gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 09:43 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

And, ya know, I relistened to the videos and I don't hear any unusual noises With a low restriction exhaust system the mufflers are not muffling the burbling and cracking sounds that naturally occur in any exhaust system when letting off on the gas. Sounds OK to me

Lou
Old 02-17-21, 03:30 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
And, ya know, I relistened to the videos and I don't hear any unusual noises With a low restriction exhaust system the mufflers are not muffling the burbling and cracking sounds that naturally occur in any exhaust system when letting off on the gas. Sounds OK to me

Lou
Even the guys from the shop found the flapping noise to be "off" (as if the airflow is being disrupted - as I mentioned before). Additionally, before I went to the shop, I had test driven it with the head tech at Lexus, and he also found it to be "off". At that point, we both thought it was probably emanating from the exhaust, but since it was an aftermarket, he (as a Lexus tech) didn't want to touch that. Now that I've managed to isolate the issue and it's not coming from the exhaust, I'll have to bring it back to them. I'm getting no codes (in case it would be with the engine misfiring). And tbh, I don't think it has to do with the engine, otherwise I believe I'd be experiencing other symptoms (which I'm not).
Old 02-18-21, 05:56 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Update - so I went to Lexus today (and to make things really concise), they had asked me that in order for them to really start digging into the issue, I would have to put back the OEM cat back exhaust. Otherwise, corporate would have a lot of push back. Nevertheless, I asked them if they could plug my car into their computer for a full diagnostics. They did with no issues and unsurprisingly, nothing came back negative - everything was A-OK. I asked that if I did bring it back with the OEM exhaust, if they'd be able to compare my LC with another LC with the exhaust fully off and hear the noise directly from the cats. Unfortunately, they don't have any "dealership test" LC's where they could do that, and it would be a liability issue if they did that with another customer's LC - understandably so. Then, they had me listen in on another LC revving the same way, and I realized that the stock exhaust actually "cuts off" when letting off the throttle at around 2,800 RPM or a little less - so definitely more restrictive, and you don't get to hear the full sound from the cats. Therefore, they said, it's completely up to me if I want to switch back to OEM and come back.

After, when I had some time in front of my computer, I decided to listen to my original video (first time after installing the exhaust from the shop) and compare. Surprisingly so, same sound came out! Then I decided to search for other's LC videos with Armytrix exhausts, and you do actually hear it faintly in other videos (all dependent on how they rev it and let go of the throttle, distance from the microphone, clarity of sound, etc.)

My video - right after installation (1 year ago) (pay attention at 3 secs, 50 secs, and 1:18)

Other Armytrix LC500 video (pay attention at 1:02, and 2:15)

I guess it's just how the sound comes through without any restriction through the entire exhaust.

Last thing I would ask (if possible) from any Club Members with an Armytrix exhaust on their LC, if they could film a video behind their vehicle revving it in the same manner I did. If same sound comes out, this would ultimately close the case on this mystery.....thanks!
Old 02-18-21, 07:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
I guess it's just how the sound comes through without any restriction through the entire exhaust.
Yep

Lou
The following users liked this post:
guanche2k9 (03-02-21)