LC Model (2018-present)

Future LC owner journey

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 05:57 PM
TNT13
Rookie

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Future LC owner journey

Hi All: I've been lurking on this site for the last 3months and I found a wealth of information on the LC. This site is propelling me to get an LC. And after watching all the youtube videos and seeing how this car perform, despite some shortcoming's (infotainment), I've made up my mind for a used LC coupe. Believe it or not, I was actually cross shopping against 2019+ C63 AMG. I wanted a coupe, something fun, and reliable (LC win on the reliability and beat out the C63 AMG). I kept my 2007 RS4 for 11years before selling it to a luck person, so yeah, I buy to keep. Plus I think LC "spaceship" look just AWESOME!

I've decide on (White/Blue/Gray/Silver) w//Performance pack 2019+MY just to get the apple car play and updated transmission mapping. However, I am in the bay area, CA, and just finding one w/PP to check out in person is difficult. (I did not want to call up a private party just to look at the car, there is one near me but it didn't have PP). If I were to call up a private party to check out the car, I should be willing to buy it if everything works out. That's just how I think so I don't waste anyone's time. Not to mention I am trying to limit my "essential" activities. One could argue finding the new love of my life is essential. No bay area dealer has coupe, convertibles are coming in, but I don't think it's same.

I am thinking of buying site unseen shipped to the door, but then again, plunking down 80-90K without seeing or even sit in/test drove a similar car is an idea I cannot get comfortable with. On the other hand, I was ready to buy one from Servo Lexus Hawaii Atomic Silver 2020 LC w/4Kmi, it is more than fair at $84K but they would not ship unless someone actually saw the car physically first. I respect that because they don't want any dispute afterward.

There are couple of LC's at SoCal, but the dealers are unwilling to deal despite being 2020 is w/4K-6K mi already. It happens both dealers boss was the one driving the car. I think the sales people needed top dollar to take their boss car away. Furthermore, when I told one of the dealer Servo's 2020 going for $84K, it came back with "Lexus USA will not warranty cars shipped from Hawaii". I wanted to call him liar directly, but instead, I gave him the Lexus Warranty site and told them I see no stipulation of Hawaii car not getting warranty in mainland. At the same breath, I told him it's more productive if he didn't want to match or go near Servo offer, just say no thank you and we can part ways. And that's the end of that. Besides, both dealers were not willing to ship, so I would have to fly down, rent a car/uber to the dealer, and drive the LC back.

I've been just checking autotraders/carguru/cars.com/carmax/autolist/carforsale sites and see what comes up. I would expect a flood of 2019 lease returns are coming or eventually the one surprise 2020 in bayarea would call out to me. I also think once I find an LC's that I can try out, I maybe more comfortable with buying one shipped to me. Upping the budget for a new 2021 is also a possibility, but the changes are so minor and it's difficult for me to justify additional $$.

Just sharing my story since I know once I get my LC, I will be on here for good. I hope you enjoy my little long introduction journey, thanks for reading.

Terence
Old 01-11-21, 06:07 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TNT13
Hi All: I've been lurking on this site for the last 3months and I found a wealth of information on the LC. This site is propelling me to get an LC. And after watching all the youtube videos and seeing how this car perform, despite some shortcoming's (infotainment), I've made up my mind for a used LC coupe. Believe it or not, I was actually cross shopping against 2019+ C63 AMG. I wanted a coupe, something fun, and reliable (LC win on the reliability and beat out the C63 AMG). I kept my 2007 RS4 for 11years before selling it to a luck person, so yeah, I buy to keep. Plus I think LC "spaceship" look just AWESOME!

I've decide on (White/Blue/Gray/Silver) w//Performance pack 2019+MY just to get the apple car play and updated transmission mapping. However, I am in the bay area, CA, and just finding one w/PP to check out in person is difficult. (I did not want to call up a private party just to look at the car, there is one near me but it didn't have PP). If I were to call up a private party to check out the car, I should be willing to buy it if everything works out. That's just how I think so I don't waste anyone's time. Not to mention I am trying to limit my "essential" activities. One could argue finding the new love of my life is essential. No bay area dealer has coupe, convertibles are coming in, but I don't think it's same.

I am thinking of buying site unseen shipped to the door, but then again, plunking down 80-90K without seeing or even sit in/test drove a similar car is an idea I cannot get comfortable with. On the other hand, I was ready to buy one from Servo Lexus Hawaii Atomic Silver 2020 LC w/4Kmi, it is more than fair at $84K but they would not ship unless someone actually saw the car physically first. I respect that because they don't want any dispute afterward.

There are couple of LC's at SoCal, but the dealers are unwilling to deal despite being 2020 is w/4K-6K mi already. It happens both dealers boss was the one driving the car. I think the sales people needed top dollar to take their boss car away. Furthermore, when I told one of the dealer Servo's 2020 going for $84K, it came back with "Lexus USA will not warranty cars shipped from Hawaii". I wanted to call him liar directly, but instead, I gave him the Lexus Warranty site and told them I see no stipulation of Hawaii car not getting warranty in mainland. At the same breath, I told him it's more productive if he didn't want to match or go near Servo offer, just say no thank you and we can part ways. And that's the end of that. Besides, both dealers were not willing to ship, so I would have to fly down, rent a car/uber to the dealer, and drive the LC back.

I've been just checking autotraders/carguru/cars.com/carmax/autolist/carforsale sites and see what comes up. I would expect a flood of 2019 lease returns are coming or eventually the one surprise 2020 in bayarea would call out to me. I also think once I find an LC's that I can try out, I maybe more comfortable with buying one shipped to me. Upping the budget for a new 2021 is also a possibility, but the changes are so minor and it's difficult for me to justify additional $$.

Just sharing my story since I know once I get my LC, I will be on here for good. I hope you enjoy my little long introduction journey, thanks for reading.

Terence
Servco Lexus Hawaii are good people, and will treat you decently. btw, the same folks now own fender music industries !
Old 01-11-21, 06:18 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 637 Likes on 408 Posts

Welcome to the hunt!!!

Probably won't be a flood of lease returns as Lexus hasn't exactly sold a lot of these beautiful machines.
Old 01-11-21, 08:14 PM
TNT13
Rookie

Learn something new everyday on Fender Music.

Yeah, at sell rate of 1200 car/yr...looks like it will be a slow hunt. Thanks!

Last edited by TNT13; 01-11-21 at 08:16 PM. Reason: adding more responses
Old 01-11-21, 08:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Terence, welcome!

I am thinking of buying site unseen shipped to the door, but then again, plunking down 80-90K without seeing or even sit in/test drove a similar car is an idea I cannot get comfortable with.
A couple of us bought sight unseen and didn't drive one before. NO REGRETS!

Besides, both dealers were not willing to ship, so I would have to fly down, rent a car/uber to the dealer, and drive the LC back.
No biggie, i'm in FL, bought one in St. Louis, and arranged my own enclosed shipper to bring the car to me. Worked out great.
Old 01-11-21, 09:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

There are couple of LC's at SoCal, but the dealers are unwilling to deal despite being 2020 is w/4K-6K mi already.
I'm in Arizona, bought my LC in Lincoln Nebraska. I flew in to Omaha and the dealer had someone pick me up and drive me to the dealer in Lincoln. I had negotiated over the phone and had sent them $10K to hold the car till I arrived. Lexus of Lincoln was GREAT to work with. When I arrived I gave the a check for the negotiated amount, my car was waiting and off I went. They put on 30 day tags for my drive home.

Lou
Old 01-11-21, 09:33 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

Learn something new everyday on Fender Music.

Yeah, at sell rate of 1200 car/yr...looks like it will be a slow hunt. Thanks!
btw, i drive both - 2019 LC500 and 1997 strat !
Old 01-12-21, 07:27 AM
LC911JEFF
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

Terence
I'd consider buying new and order from the factory. You can get the car exactly as you want and be the 1st owner. The 2021 has a number of changes and being newer year, will be

worth more down the line. Lexus offers new incentives each month. You can get dealors to bid against each other as I did. (Got 10% off) It will take 4 months for delivery

but the anticipation is half the fun. I say buy new because you said you plan on keeping car for a long time. In a few years the extra money you spent probably won't

be missed. Just my 2 cents . Good luck in whatever you decide to do but I guarantee you will be thrilled with the LC!!!
Old 01-12-21, 08:26 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 467 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by LC911JEFF
I'd consider buying new and order from the factory. You can get the car exactly as you want and be the 1st owner.
This is exactly the way I did it. Placed my order in February 2018 with Lexus of Albuquerque. Waited a week for Lexus to approve my order (yes, Lexus has to approve the options/colors, etc. you choose) then it arrived exactly as I wanted the end of May 2018. I handed the dealer a check (I always pay cash), spent 3 hours with their people familiarizing myself with all the tech/features and drove it home.

My car, My way. No regerts (grin)
The following users liked this post:
LC911JEFF (01-12-21)
Old 01-12-21, 08:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

i found what i wanted, did 5k deposit, wired rest, i arranged enclosed transport for the 900 mi. trip and it came with 14 mi. on it. i was satisfied.
Old 01-12-21, 08:52 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 637 Likes on 408 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DRGibbons

(grin)

Old 01-12-21, 12:11 PM
TNT13
Rookie

Originally Posted by LC911JEFF
I'd consider buying new and order from the factory. You can get the car exactly as you want and be the 1st owner.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Terence, welcome!
A couple of us bought sight unseen and didn't drive one before. NO REGRETS!
No biggie, i'm in FL, bought one in St. Louis, and arranged my own enclosed shipper to bring the car to me. Worked out great.
My sight unseen nervousness is more so the general used car concerns...car alignment off, cracks/creaks, it won't brake straight or vibrations, and number of things you don't know until you drive it. Yes, it's under Lexus warranty, but it's a hassle. If I step up the budget to buy a new one, certainly arranging shipper and buy out of state would be much much easier. This also resolve the "site unseen" nervousness. Well...what do you know, Money does buy peace of mind. I may just have to poke that "new purchase" bear a bit.

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
This is exactly the way I did it. Placed my order in February 2018 with Lexus of Albuquerque. Waited a week for Lexus to approve my order (yes, Lexus has to approve the options/colors, etc. you choose) then it arrived exactly as I wanted the end of May 2018. I handed the dealer a check (I always pay cash), spent 3 hours with their people familiarizing myself with all the tech/features and drove it home.
That's where I want to be, just need to let myself go toward that direction.

Just want to say, thanks all for the kind input so far. I actually found a 2018 Mica Blue at Lexus Monterey, will see if I make some time to check it out. Carfax shows a "minor" repair at the frontend, so not sure about buying it, but that is the closest I can get to a coupe w/PP for awhile.
Old 01-20-21, 05:05 PM
TNT13
Rookie

How about a little update for your reading pleasure.

After the quick help from TimboIS and flowrider, and the dealer confirming 50-state emission sticker, I then contemplated on shipping, from MO to CA with enclosed carrier is anywhere from 1800-2000. Yeah....dealer do open carrier all the time, but it's extra peace of mind for me. The dealer was nice enough to arrange everything as passthrough and I was able to talk him to cover $400 of the shipping.

Just put down the deposit as the first step of getting her home. Sorry, it's a screen grab of the walk around video, maybe in 3 weeks for some real pics. I initially wanted White over Red, but turns out I love the Gray more. Maybe it gives a cleaner front end look (IMO) since the Gray hides the vertical gray blinkers.

Finance talk tomorrow (I am pre approved for 2%, so if they match my rate 2%, I dont mind giving them some business). From there will be getting more paper work/signature and go from there. Hoping for smooth sailing from here.

Deep Breaths
Terence

The following 4 users liked this post by TNT13:
355F1 (01-21-21), bitkahuna (01-21-21), flowrider (01-20-21), salida54 (04-14-21)
Old 01-20-21, 05:51 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Looks great, fun times ahead
Old 01-21-21, 05:59 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

Finance talk tomorrow (I am pre approved for 2%, so if they match my rate 2%, I dont mind giving them some business). From there will be getting more paper work/signature and go from there. Hoping for smooth sailing from here.

Deep Breaths
Terence
Assuming that this is a coupe, don't forget the $3,000 in Lexus cash. And you may qualify for 0.9 percent financing. See this link:

https://www.lexus.com/offers

Quick Reply: Future LC owner journey