LC Model (2018-present)

21" wheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 02:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Default 21" wheel weights

does anyone know what the front/rear 21" oem wheels weigh? i believe they (maybe only rears) were lightened somehow for 2021?

can anyone tell me how this compares to after market and any specific brands/models?

just wondering how much unsprung weight can be lowered.

asking for a friend.
Old 05-07-21, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

bumping this... really, no one knows?
Old 05-08-21, 09:05 AM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

i seem to recall hazily some recent discussion hereabout re. the weight of some custom 21" rims being reduced through novel casting refinements,
so that the pejoratively termed obesity problem of our beloved rides may be intervened with ... hope this helps !
Old 05-08-21, 09:37 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Heavy AF.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
AirForce8 (05-09-21)
Old 05-08-21, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1A1
Heavy AF.
Lol... what i'm trying to understand is how much unsprung weight is removed if stockers are replaced with aftermarket. Even wondering how much the TRD LC rims trim the weight.
Old 05-08-21, 08:13 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lol... what i'm trying to understand is how much unsprung weight is removed if stockers are replaced with aftermarket. Even wondering how much the TRD LC rims trim the weight.
Just wondering - - what are you going to do with the information once you find out the weight?? or is this just out of curiosity??

I can't imagine that varying the wheel weight on a car like the LC would make one iota of noticeable difference.
Old 05-08-21, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
Just wondering - - what are you going to do with the information once you find out the weight?? or is this just out of curiosity??

I can't imagine that varying the wheel weight on a car like the LC would make one iota of noticeable difference.
maybe this will help explain rather than take my point of view.

Reducing unsprung weight is the key to improving handling. The lower the unsprung weight, the less work the shocks and springs have to do to keep the tires in contact with the road over bumpy surfaces. Lot of problems, if not all of them is caused by inertia. Bigger weight means higher inertia. Higher inertia means more workload for shocks and springs to keep tiers on the ground. If unsprung components have a high mass they are harder to accelerate/decelerate and thus it is more difficult for the suspension to maintain a consistent tire load.
An easy way to reduce unsprung weight and improve traction in normal cars is to replace stock wheels and tires with special magnesium lightweight wheels. Note that as the wheel diameter or width increases, the weight of the overall wheel and tire package increases, thereby increasing unsprung weight.

Full article: http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/unsprung_weight.html
Old 05-08-21, 09:03 PM
1A1
Instructor

Anything you can do to bring the weight down on these heavy pigs is a win - win. Unsprung weight can make a significant difference.

Steve
Old 05-08-21, 09:24 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Gentlemen,
I think most people that are motorsports enthusiasts are aware of what reduction of semi un-sprung weight does to benefit handling on racing and high performance vehicle when they are being used 9-10/10ths of their capability. My point is that unless you are tracking or racing your LC with revised suspension and racing tires you would not notice reduced wheel weight one bit. The LC is a GT cruiser that can get frisky occasionally, not a track/racing car running on the knifes edge. Even with the suspension turned all the way up to Sport+ it is still a street car compliant ride. Understand, Lexus tuned the suspension (especially the dampers) knowing the wheel, caliper, rotor, tire, etc. weights so it will ride like a Lexus, albeit a sporty one.

I think the weight of the wheels is probably some good trivia knowledge to have in your pocket but thinking you would notice a difference in handling is a fantasy.

My 2 cents worth. I still LOVE my LC !!
The following 2 users liked this post by DRGibbons:
BruceinFla (01-19-23), TimboIS (05-10-21)
Old 05-08-21, 10:06 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1A1
heavy pigs
Steve
my goodness mr moderator ! do we have to put up with such language ?
my baby is neither heavy, nor a pig.
c'mon now, do your job....
DRGibbons (05-08-21)
Old 05-08-21, 10:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
My point is that unless you are tracking or racing your LC with revised suspension and racing tires you would not notice reduced wheel weight one bit.
I think the weight of the wheels is probably some good trivia knowledge to have in your pocket but thinking you would notice a difference in handling is a fantasy.
My 2 cents worth. I still LOVE my LC !!
Glad you love your LC. Per your profile it says you have a Toms cat back exhaust, is that right? Did you do that just for sound difference or did you expect (and do you notice) any performance improvement? If you do some might say it's all in your head or so minimal that it's not noticeable unless you're on a track.

You've also said previously a couple of times in essence that the dynamic handling package (VGRS, rear wheel steering, other different suspension components) some of us have is a waste of time and doesn't make any difference either.

Having done it in the past on other cars, i believe that reducing unsprung weight does make a noticeable difference even in regular street driving, in particular steering effort/response, improved handling, and better braking.
Old 05-09-21, 06:48 AM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

for what its worth, the LC handles noticeably different with a quarter tank of gas than when topped off
DRGibbons (05-09-21)
Old 05-09-21, 07:13 AM
1A1
Instructor

Just an FYI, Lexus thought enough about unsprung weight that the 2021 LC 500s have aluminum front control arms, which dropped 22lbs of unsprung weight. That was an update for this year's model. If they think 22lbs is worth it, then imagine how much better the car would feel with some lightweight forged 21 inch wheels. The stock wheel/tire combination is around 62lbs I believe. One could drop 5-7 lbs per wheel by upgrading to a lighter forged wheel. That is significant savings that would definitely be felt in in acceleration, handling, and braking.

https://www.motor1.com/news/408711/2...c-500-updates/

Steve
Old 05-09-21, 08:24 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Glad you love your LC. Per your profile it says you have a Toms cat back exhaust, is that right? Did you do that just for sound difference or did you expect (and do you notice) any performance improvement? If you do some might say it's all in your head or so minimal that it's not noticeable unless you're on a track.

You've also said previously a couple of times in essence that the dynamic handling package (VGRS, rear wheel steering, other different suspension components) some of us have is a waste of time and doesn't make any difference either.

Having done it in the past on other cars, i believe that reducing unsprung weight does make a noticeable difference even in regular street driving, in particular steering effort/response, improved handling, and better braking.
Wow bitkahuna - did I hit a nerve or something? (haha) All this technical car handling dynamics talk from a fellow that states, and I quote you, "hmm, my car always starts in comfort mode, just as I want". The most 'numb' mode as far as handling and responsiveness.

I'll respond to a couple of your questions.
I installed the Tom's Cat-Back exhaust for 3 primary reasons (in order of priority) . 1) I absolutely love the sound. It's sound is akin to driving in Sport+ mode (plus a bit) all the time. 2) In my opinion the two worst styling issues I have with the LC is the cheap textured plastic look on the top of the brake lights and the fake chrome exhaust outlets. The Tom's exhaust with the four titanium tips solves one of those, and 3) I have never been a fan of the added complexity of the active exhaust flaps. Exhausts are a typically a problem child in long term ownership. Tom's eliminates that. I wouldn't kid myself by thinking installing the Cat-Back system would make any noticeable increase in performance.

My previous statements concerning VGRS and Rear Wheel Steering (all of which are on my LC) revolve around what most people would really notice on a test drive of the car. I doubt anyone would notice the difference in those conditions except for the tighter turning radius at slow speed afforded by the RWS. Never did I say these are a waste of time. These features become more apparent when you push the LC closer to 8/10ths and above, hence that is why I ordered all of them on my LC.

Maybe you could share your experience on past cars where you have dealt with un-sprung weight. I'm curious as to what car and your results. It can make a big difference on cars that are not well designed or executed by the factory, unlike our LCs.

As tmillLC500 states, and I agree, full tank to quarter tank make quite a difference in handling dynamics.

I'll close and stating again, the LC, while not a track car, is probably one of the best GT cars out there with unforgettable/stunning styling at a very reasonable price. I'm completely satisfied with mine and I will likely never get rid of it. My whole point is knowing the way the majority of people drive their LCs for the majority of the time, handling issues never come in to play.

Whew, I'm about worn out. Let's get back to the important issues like 'is my seatbelt twisted' and 'can I get a bicycle in the trunk'. MUCH less controversial.

Old 05-09-21, 02:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Ha, thanks for the good-natured post DrGibbons.

I guess my post was prompted by your posts here and your prior posts. For example, when asked: "for normal street and fun drives in the twisties, how much difference does the performance package provide?" you responded:

I have driven both. For what you describe, you will notice ZERO difference.
And from here:

unless you are tracking or racing your LC with revised suspension and racing tires you would not notice reduced wheel weight one bit.
Very definitive... you feel these features or mods make 'zero difference' or won't be noticed 'one bit', and you're certainly entitled to that view even if i disagree.

Thanks for sharing that your exhaust was for sound and looks over performance... makes sense (and enjoy!).

About lighter wheels, there's also that aspect here... while the factory 21's aren't 'ugly' they're not what i would call beautiful. So if i can lighter and better looking wheels, i'll enjoy the look AND i believe yes, the car will drive better, even on regular roads.

Quick Reply: 21" wheel weights