LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 spontaneous frame crack (or something else?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 07:13 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by MLMLC52K18
I have a 2018 Structural Blue LC with 6K mile. I took it in about a year ago for the fuel tank recall. I assumed they had to remove the tank to replace the in tank pump.
However, ever since this repair, I've been hearing right side rear end noise especially when in reverse at low speeds. I haven't reported it to dealer yet, but am planning to visit dealer soon. Hopefully its not a damaged frame. Maybe just a loose tie down bolt.
FYI

1) To replace the tank fuel pump does NOT require the tank to be removed. The fuel pump is accessed after removing the rear seat. When the rear seat is removed the access panel to the fuel pump on the top of the fuel tank is all that must be removed. Relatively easy.
2) The LC500 is of unibody construction and does not have a frame as such.
The following 3 users liked this post by DRGibbons:
Exhilr8n (05-24-21), MLMLC52K18 (05-24-21), TimboIS (05-24-21)
Old 05-24-21, 08:49 AM
MLMLC52K18
Advanced

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
FYI

1) To replace the tank fuel pump does NOT require the tank to be removed. The fuel pump is accessed after removing the rear seat. When the rear seat is removed the access panel to the fuel pump on the top of the fuel tank is all that must be removed. Relatively easy.
2) The LC500 is of unibody construction and does not have a frame as such.
Thats good to know. Now I am really worried.
Old 05-24-21, 11:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

... ever since this repair, I've been hearing right side rear end noise especially when in reverse at low speeds. I haven't reported it to dealer yet, but am planning to visit dealer soon. Hopefully its not a damaged frame. Maybe just a loose tie down bolt.
Thats good to know. Now I am really worried.
i would not be worried. the car is built like a tank and if you didn't have the noise before the fuel pump recall then i highly doubt you got frame damage because of it. could be as simple as a bolt not quite tightened down under the seat.
Old 05-26-21, 10:36 AM
DaddyFES
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad it got worked out. I would agree with one of the other posters. CarFax can't be trusted. Use them as a source, but do check other sources as well.
Old 06-12-23, 06:53 PM
dantonypaula
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes. I have the same issue and we figured it out.

Originally Posted by v8n8
I bought a used 2018 LC500 in Feb with 13,000mi on it. Reputable dealership, clean CarFax, and it aced its third-party professional inspection. Since I bought it I've noticed a "clop" sound coming from the driver's side rear wheel area on acceleration, braking and the occasional suspension compression (e.g. turning into a driveway) - at first I assumed something was rolling around in the trunk. The driver's side suspension on the left rear wheel also started squeaking whenever cycled.

The first time I brought it into my local Lexus dealership, they tightened down the control arms and some other accessible chassis parts and called it a day - this reduced the squeaking, but it soon returned. The "clop" never went away. So I brought the car back in and asked them to take another look. The service advisor came for a ride-along with me and verified the "clop" was there, and definitely not normal. They then spent about a week troubleshooting before declaring there must be a cracked pinch weld somewhere in the frame, and they needed to send it to a local body shop to pinpoint and fix it.

Almost a month later I have no updates, aside from there doesn't appear to be any indication the car has been in an accident - the crack must be deep within the unibody. My insurance device in the OBDII port says the body shop is operating the vehicle daily (probably just rolling it in and out of the bay to work on it). I've requested updates from the Lexus service advisory, and he just says "the body shop doesn't want to cut into your frame if they don't have to, so they're just taking their time to try to locate the issue." He hinted that he heard a couple other cases around the USA of LCs having similar frame issues. To be honest I'm growing frustrated - if I wanted a $100k car to be out for months at a time while I drive a rental I'd have gotten a Merc.

Anyone had experience with this? Any advice on how to handle it or what to expect from Lexus?
yes, it’s the bolt on top, that attaches the brace from the seat to the B pillar. It sums that the nut behind it, is loose. I’m just waiting for Lexus to find a certified body shop to be able to take it there, re weld it and we should be good to go. I have a video of the tech showing the loose but making the noise by taping on it halfway loose.
The following 2 users liked this post by dantonypaula:
antidentit (03-22-24), Brinylon (06-13-23)
Old 06-12-23, 08:34 PM
Vertdafert
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What an issue to have. I am happy they did in fact track that down. Many body shops would have given up. Good catch.
Old 06-13-23, 10:16 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dantonypaula
yes, it’s the bolt on top, that attaches the brace from the seat to the B pillar. It sums that the nut behind it, is loose. I’m just waiting for Lexus to find a certified body shop to be able to take it there, re weld it and we should be good to go. I have a video of the tech showing the loose but making the noise by taping on it halfway loose.
Any chance of seeing this video? Reason for asking is because I too have this "knock" and the car goes in (again) for investigation in a few weeks. It'd be great if I could show them where to look.
Old 08-16-23, 06:59 AM
Dtddt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk noise

Originally Posted by v8n8
I bought a used 2018 LC500 in Feb with 13,000mi on it. Reputable dealership, clean CarFax, and it aced its third-party professional inspection. Since I bought it I've noticed a "clop" sound coming from the driver's side rear wheel area on acceleration, braking and the occasional suspension compression (e.g. turning into a driveway) - at first I assumed something was rolling around in the trunk. The driver's side suspension on the left rear wheel also started squeaking whenever cycled.

The first time I brought it into my local Lexus dealership, they tightened down the control arms and some other accessible chassis parts and called it a day - this reduced the squeaking, but it soon returned. The "clop" never went away. So I brought the car back in and asked them to take another look. The service advisor came for a ride-along with me and verified the "clop" was there, and definitely not normal. They then spent about a week troubleshooting before declaring there must be a cracked pinch weld somewhere in the frame, and they needed to send it to a local body shop to pinpoint and fix it.

Almost a month later I have no updates, aside from there doesn't appear to be any indication the car has been in an accident - the crack must be deep within the unibody. My insurance device in the OBDII port says the body shop is operating the vehicle daily (probably just rolling it in and out of the bay to work on it). I've requested updates from the Lexus service advisory, and he just says "the body shop doesn't want to cut into your frame if they don't have to, so they're just taking their time to try to locate the issue." He hinted that he heard a couple other cases around the USA of LCs having similar frame issues. To be honest I'm growing frustrated - if I wanted a $100k car to be out for months at a time while I drive a rental I'd have gotten a Merc.

Anyone had experience with this? Any advice on how to handle it or what to expect from Lexus?
my car is in the shop for the same thing. What did they charge to fix it. There telling me it's a 9 hour job

Old 09-03-23, 09:19 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Any updates? Is knocking issue fixed? I have something similar but still not quite sure what it is. I have a convertible and knocking sound I can hear when top is up. And sound is not predictable. Most of the time it happens on a low speed and during turn. But sometimes it happens when I come to my driveway and almost stop to not scratch front bumper and then I can hear double knock which is weird. So sometimes I think maybe it is something in the gas tank bouncing. If you have an exact place could you share it, thanks.
Old 09-03-23, 11:56 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Taking mine in for the third time tomorrow (4th September) and Lexus claim they now know what causes the knock. Apparently the fix involves removing numerous bolts around the rear end and greasing them before re-installing. Obviously, I will find out more when I drop the car into the dealer and sometime on Wednesday I should be able to confirm whether the "fix" worked or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brinylon:
microsup (09-03-23), SunCruzin (09-03-23)
Old 09-06-23, 11:00 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Picked up the car this evening (Wednesday) and drove away without the usual click/knock. Braked too and again silence was truly golden.

It seems the solution was pretty much what has been previously mentioned on this forum. The brace that runs across the car just under the passenger seats is/was the culprit. I could clearly see from the very brief viewing I had of the "technical fix", that the three bolts securing each end of the brace had to be removed and grease applied between its ends and the same applied to the 3 bolts. Additionally, there were two other steel fabrications probably about 16 inches in length and which I believe are in turn connected to the brace that also had to be lubed along with their respective bolting. Unfortunately from what I saw and the cutaway drawing I have, I couldn't say for sure where these parts are! I suspect inboard of the brace ends. Importantly, all of these works were done inside the car, nothing external is implicated.

I'll pore through various documents to see if I can find the additional fabrications and advise accordingly, assuming I can locate them!

The weather here right now is warm/hot and I really need some cooler temperatures to be sure but during the course of tomorrow I have a 70 mile round journey to make and this should confirm it's problem solved!
The following users liked this post:
microsup (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 01:37 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

I hope it is fixed. Waiting for your drive test. Wonder, do you think it is possible to have some information from your dealership as a reference to my dealership, so they will do same procedure.
Old 09-06-23, 01:53 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by microsup
I hope it is fixed. Waiting for your drive test. Wonder, do you think it is possible to have some information from your dealership as a reference to my dealership, so they will do same procedure.
It did seem to me that my dealer was reluctant to share the printed technical fix but he again confirmed the first case out in the wild was in Australia and I believe there was another car here in the UK. I would be highly inclined to contact Lexus direct and cite these two instances and of course a would be (subject to tomorrow's test drive) a third i.e. mine!
I've attached a structural pic that I downloaded from this site which pretty well identified the problem some months ago.
Obviously, I will post tomorrow to confirm the outcome.

The following users liked this post:
snowsenses (09-06-23)
Old 03-20-24, 03:18 PM
antidentit
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

Resurrecting an older thread to see if any others have been successful in getting this rear-seat area squeak fixed by Lexus, or maybe even via DIY? I'm tempted to start removing the back seats but am not sure how to do that...

I just purchased a 2018 LC and noticed that I have a similar squeak coming from the rear of the car, which also had the fuel pump replaced which is in the same area.

@Brinylon @microsup
Old 03-20-24, 08:52 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Mine is not a squeak, more like a soft knock. I have a convertible, not a coupe, so convertibles have a little different issue. I dint have a chance to investigate more, waiting for a better weather to start driving daily. So far what I found it is really hard to reproduce, but at the same time sort of predictable. Only happens on low speed at sharp turn like 90 degrees, usually happens if you turn one way then other way, if you turn like sharp right and again sharp right, no knock. Sometimes after approaching to driveway and almost stop before getting over the edge I can hear 2 knocks. So it is very strange, but not desperately annoying. If I have top down the knock very hard to hear.

Quick Reply: LC500 spontaneous frame crack (or something else?)