LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 spontaneous frame crack (or something else?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 11:02 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rcho
is the a common issue? will all lc have this issue over time?
Not from what I've seen or gleaned but it does seem to be more common than you might think. It may be some owners of affected cars think it is or have been told it is "normal".
Probably worth watching this thread and see how much traction it gets which in itself might provide some clues.
Old 03-27-24, 11:03 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

.Currently (28th March 2024) 10191 views, so quite a well thumbed thread!

Last edited by Brinylon; 03-27-24 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-28-24, 08:11 AM
antidentit
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rcho
is the a common issue? will all lc have this issue over time?
I have a feeling this will become more common due to the nature of the issue, which seems to be that over time the bolts will loosen, which causes the metal support brace to rub against the B pillar. As the vehicle shifts its weight, the panels shift against each other causing the clunking sound. And the fact that it's so close to the driver within the cabin makes it very noticeable.

I will ask the body shop to take pictures of the process.
The following 2 users liked this post by antidentit:
Brinylon (03-28-24), microsup (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 08:20 AM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Im sure Lexus has already addressed this on newer model years to prevent it from happening as bolts should not be coming loose/welds breaking apart.
Old 04-10-24, 03:02 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

It seems to have gone very quiet, and I'm not sure if anyone has made any progress?
Old 04-10-24, 05:03 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

I’m waiting on some more pictures from you guys before I take my convertible in for this fix. I’m pretty sure it’s the same problem.

is there a TSB on this ? Doesn’t matter which country or region but I’d be interested in seeing it.

I showed my dealership buddy that link from Lexus owners UK and he said unless they have a TSB they can follow it’ll take that much more time for the technicians to dig through all the threads and see if they can follow that same fix
Old 04-10-24, 07:01 AM
North1Star
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Still at the dealer since 2 weeks ago without an update yet
Old 04-10-24, 08:46 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by North1Star
I agree, and an update would be useful. I'm not sure if the following thread and in particular details of one potential fix helps but this has been topical on the UK Lexus site:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/fo...lunking-noise/

In particular, look see the "TSB" posted by "Flytvr". When that approach isn't successful, or it fails, then it is necessary to have the brace welded, problem solved.
Old 04-10-24, 09:31 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Are there any in-car photos of something doing this DIY? It looks to me like a structural adhesive (bond prep the surfaces, no paint, no contamination, and apply some JB Weld) would be a easier solution than welding it to the chassis. No?
Old 04-12-24, 07:51 PM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by North1Star
That's a bit disconcerting, have you requested one?
Old 04-15-24, 01:00 PM
antidentit
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

@Brinylon posted a link above that shows how a tech should repair the problems without welding, but it doesn't show the steps needed to access the area in question so it's not 100% complete. However, it's pretty close.

I'm taking mine in next month and will try to learn more about the process since I'm concerned that re-greasing and re-tightening the bolts may not be a lasting solution and I don't want to pay another $1k to fix it again if the first fix doesn't work.
Old 04-16-24, 05:41 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by antidentit
I'm concerned that re-greasing and re-tightening the bolts may not be a lasting solution and I don't want to pay another $1k to fix it again if the first fix doesn't work.
I'm not familiar with this fix, but, I probably wouldn't be concerned if they were to use a quality grease, and use Locktite on the bolt threads.

Last edited by Wilson2000; 04-23-24 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-22-24, 11:21 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by antidentit
@Brinylon posted a link above that shows how a tech should repair the problems without welding, but it doesn't show the steps needed to access the area in question so it's not 100% complete. However, it's pretty close.

I'm taking mine in next month and will try to learn more about the process since I'm concerned that re-greasing and re-tightening the bolts may not be a lasting solution and I don't want to pay another $1k to fix it again if the first fix doesn't work.
Te steps to access are remarkably easy and any competent mechanic would undertake that pat of the process in a matter of minutes. Even I can confidently remove the seat squab in all of 5 minutes and so can any owner if they so desire, and once done, you'll clearly see this is not a mission but simply day to day stuff for those familiar with how Lexus cars are screwed together. Again the company who permanently fixed the problem were simply blasé about the whole process and I do remember being told that access to the required area was as simple as it gets. As I mentioned before this was from someone who has most likely never seen an LC let alone worked on one even though he operates an approved Lexus body shop such is the rarity of this car in the UK. Do remember the greasing of the securing bolts may well prove to be a short term solution and realistcally I dont think Loctite will make a jot of permanency to the fix, whereas welding will solve the problem. Yes, try the greasing route first, monitor and then decide whether this has solved the problem but don't be surprised if it doesn't.
Old 05-11-24, 03:34 AM
Roger92
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

Unfortunately joining the club of the cracking frames 🥲 with my LC500H.
My underground parking ramp is very difficult and I believe this is the cause of the cracking.
will take it to the dealer soon for them to check.
Old 05-11-24, 04:49 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

I wouldn't call it a crack, it's more akin to looseness or body flex. I'm really looking forward to reading feedback from some/anyone who has taken their car in for investigation, and at the same time I hope the problem is readily resolved.

Quick Reply: LC500 spontaneous frame crack (or something else?)