LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 spontaneous frame crack (or something else?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 05:10 AM
Roger92
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes it is body flex but with also a noise when accelerating or stopping same as reported in above posts.
Old 05-11-24, 09:53 AM
rcho
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

message deleted

Last edited by rcho; 05-11-24 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-13-24, 11:06 AM
antidentit
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got my car back from the body shop and the squeaking is no longer happening in my 2018 LC. Here's the summary:
  • I could hear a squeak from the rear of the vehicle, specifically on the passenger side.
  • The body shop removed the back seats, removed the bolts from the cross-bar, applied squeak tape, then re-attached the bolts and tightened them according to the specs and order that was outlined here: https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/fo...lunking-noise/ (note they did not apply the grease and used squeak tape instead).
  • They indicated this was the 3rd LC they fixed with this issue, and so far none have returned.
  • The cost was over $900 for them to fix, which to me is quite excessive since it didn't seem like much work at all. I did shop around and very few places were willing to take on this work given most are inexperienced with this specific vehicle, so I was okay paying for their expertise instead of their time. I also had a very specific warranty on this vehicle when I purchased it (not CPO) which [thankfully] covered the cost of repairs.
If this squeak does return, I'll likely attempt the repair myself since I'm now much more educated on this than I was going into it.
The following 4 users liked this post by antidentit:
2959 (05-14-24), Badhobz (05-16-24), Brinylon (06-11-24), Dukeaudio (05-13-24)
Old 05-13-24, 02:55 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by antidentit
I just got my car back from the body shop and the squeaking is no longer happening in my 2018 LC. Here's the summary:
  • I could hear a squeak from the rear of the vehicle, specifically on the passenger side.
  • The body shop removed the back seats, removed the bolts from the cross-bar, applied squeak tape, then re-attached the bolts and tightened them according to the specs and order that was outlined here: https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/fo...lunking-noise/ (note they did not apply the grease and used squeak tape instead).
  • They indicated this was the 3rd LC they fixed with this issue, and so far none have returned.
  • The cost was over $900 for them to fix, which to me is quite excessive since it didn't seem like much work at all. I did shop around and very few places were willing to take on this work given most are inexperienced with this specific vehicle, so I was okay paying for their expertise instead of their time. I also had a very specific warranty on this vehicle when I purchased it (not CPO) which [thankfully] covered the cost of repairs.
If this squeak does return, I'll likely attempt the repair myself since I'm now much more educated on this than I was going into it.
Appreciate the update👍🏽
The following users liked this post:
2959 (05-14-24)
Old 06-11-24, 09:24 AM
ST1NKY
2nd gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I’ve been lurking this and every thread related to this clunking noise to help inform a fix on my own 2018 LC, and after many different attempts, I have finally come to a lasting solution. It’s only right that I pay back the knowledge my fellow owners have shared.

As some have mentioned already, the only thing that worked for me was welding. Refastening the bolts on the brace has only ever been a temporary fix which ultimately led to wearing down the bolt over time.

The weld points are where the bolts connect the brace to the B pillar. These can be accessed by lifting the rear seats and removing the pillar trim.

To help illustrate the location, I’ve screenshotted a mechanic report from a fellow on the UK Lexus Owners Club site, where the bolt points are circled in red.

I think the bottommost two bolts are not required, as those weren’t welded but the problem was fixed. I don’t recommend welding those two either, as it is significantly more difficult to get to those than the other bolts which sit at the top of the brace.

Best of luck to you all!
The following 5 users liked this post by ST1NKY:
2959 (06-11-24), Badhobz (06-11-24), bitkahuna (06-12-24), Brinylon (06-11-24), KennyFSU (06-11-24)
Old 06-11-24, 10:28 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Many thanks ST1NKY and your post endorses my experience. Curiously, mine goes back in on the 12th July. It appears the clicking might be coming back, but as Lexus said, if it re-appears then we will weld the other side.
From experience, I think this will be done and dusted within an hour, start to finish. I'd also like to button this up given I may well sell the car during the course of this year and I don't want to pass it on to someone without this being finalised.
Old 06-19-24, 02:54 PM
ST1NKY
2nd gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brinylon
Many thanks ST1NKY and your post endorses my experience. Curiously, mine goes back in on the 12th July. It appears the clicking might be coming back, but as Lexus said, if it re-appears then we will weld the other side.
From experience, I think this will be done and dusted within an hour, start to finish. I'd also like to button this up given I may well sell the car during the course of this year and I don't want to pass it on to someone without this being finalised.
Hope you keep us updated. Do you think welding the other side will help? That is, are you hearing it on the other side now?

I did hear some flexing noise on the same side after the weld, likely was happening simultaneously with the clunk so it was never picked up beforehand. It happens much less frequently and loudly. What I found was that the upper side of the B-pillar on the passenger side flexes outward.

You can confirm this by pressing firmly on the rear quarter window from the outside of the car, close to the B-pillar. If you hear a pop while doing this, you likely have this same flex. You might hear it only once though. After the pressing with some force, it has been very quiet for me, but your mileage might vary and obviously do it at your own risk.

Last edited by ST1NKY; 06-19-24 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-19-24, 10:27 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ST1NKY
Hope you keep us updated. Do you think welding the other side will help? That is, are you hearing it on the other side now?

I did hear some flexing noise on the same side after the weld, likely was happening simultaneously with the clunk so it was never picked up beforehand. It happens much less frequently and loudly. What I found was that the upper side of the B-pillar on the passenger side flexes outward.

You can confirm this by pressing firmly on the rear quarter window from the outside of the car, close to the B-pillar. If you hear a pop while doing this, you likely have this same flex. You might hear it only once though. After the pressing with some force, it has been very quiet for me, but your mileage might vary and obviously do it at your own risk.
I sure will keep you updated, and I was told if the click/clunk call it what you will re-appeared, then Lexus would weld the opposite side of the car. However, I am convinced it is the same side as was previously welded, i.e. your passenger side/my driver's side. It is not quite as was the original problem but tends to sounds off when cornering and occasional accelerating.
Thanks for the tip regarding the "pop" and I will give that a go later today, that would be something else if I could replicate it at will.
Many thanks for your input it's much appreciated.