Trunk Depth measurement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 10:30 AM
youngdrew1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Trunk Depth measurement?

Hello everyone,

I really want to but a LC500 coupe but the trunk space is making me hesitate. I work at San Francisco and our parking structure is 1 mile away from where I work, so I usually carry a small folding bike with me during my commute. I know LC500 has a wide and long trunk, but the depth seems really shallow. I need about 16.5 inches of depth clearance to fit my folding bike. The closest dealer that has a LC500 is about 40 miles away. Can somebody help me to measure the trunk depth with a tape ruler? Much appreciated!

Old 05-03-21, 10:36 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Put it this way, a 1 gallon jug of milk does not fit standing up. Unless you can position it right where the upper trunk liner is the shallowest/highest. 1 gallon jug is 9” tall. So lowest point of the trunk liner is <9”. My IS had larger trunk.

it was absurd Lexus chose to put the battery under the trunk floor. Te reasoning was for weight distribution, ridiculous. With heavy vehicle like the LC has zero impact.

Last edited by TimboIS; 05-03-21 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-03-21, 10:44 AM
youngdrew1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I guess I can't get a LC then... It's a shame that a big GT coupe has a tiny little trunk... They're just one step away from being the perfect GT car.
Old 05-03-21, 11:28 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The upper liner isn’t uniform height, so maybe there’s a position where you could fit what you need. But I’m just measuring the shallowest points, and those are <9”.
Old 05-03-21, 11:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

16.5" no chance.
1mi? That's a 15 min walk.
The following users liked this post:
Dragnee (05-04-21)
Old 05-05-21, 03:09 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm usually of the mindset that I can somehow make things fit and with every other car I typically can, but the trunk space on the Lexus is truly atrocious. The irony is that the Lexus is one of the longest cars in the segment.

I previously had a tiny SLC43 AMG convertible that could fit more in the trunk even with the top down than the Lexus coupe that's almost twice the length. Like how?

You would think this would mean that the backseats would at least be usable but nope they're useless as well.

Oh well, the car is so fun that it overcomes those shortcomings but it definitely is limited in it's practicality...and it feels especially frustrating bc it didn't have to be that way?
Old 05-05-21, 06:56 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
I'm usually of the mindset that I can somehow make things fit and with every other car I typically can, but the trunk space on the Lexus is truly atrocious. The irony is that the Lexus is one of the longest cars in the segment.

I previously had a tiny SLC43 AMG convertible that could fit more in the trunk even with the top down than the Lexus coupe that's almost twice the length. Like how?

You would think this would mean that the backseats would at least be usable but nope they're useless as well.

Oh well, the car is so fun that it overcomes those shortcomings but it definitely is limited in it's practicality...and it feels especially frustrating bc it didn't have to be that way?
I would never buy a car that could not take a road trip with my wife and luggage. So I never bought that 2005 Ford GT.
The LC 500's trunk is large enough for an oversize suitcase, as is the back seat. Plus room in both areas for odds and ends.
My only regret is that the back seat does not recline. Meaning our skis will not fit for our spring/Memorial Day ski trips.
Old 05-05-21, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero

as hoonose said, you can take a long weekend's worth of stuff in the car, but yes, the LC is definitely form over function.

one thing i don't get is the thickness and bulges in the trim underneath the trunk lid.
mine has the motorized wing so maybe that's it, but there's a huge bulge in the middle that i think is even on cars without the wing.
Old 05-06-21, 05:51 AM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 121 Posts

It’s like a pair of alluring high heels. Sometimes looking really good hurts a bit.