LC Model (2018-present)

Fold mirrors when locking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21 | 08:15 AM
AirForce8
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
I feel the same way - - make me wonder if people ever read their manual and know how to use an index. Yikes
Well in the interest of full disclosure, I haven't read the manual myself. I don't do well reading about or being instructed about feature, etc. The only way I truly understand and remember is to physically do it.
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21 | 08:15 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AirForce8
There a setting for this feature in the Lexus menu.

Press MENU >

Select SETUP >

VEHICLE >

VEHICLE CUSTOMIZATION >

OTHER VEHICLE SETTINGS >

DRIVER'S SEAT EASY-EXIT SLIDE

I set mine to full.

This will automatically pull the seat all the way back for you when you turn the car off. When you start the car it will slide it back forward for you. There's also a setting in the same menu space called "steering column EASY-EXIT. I set mine to TILT & TELESCOPIC. This will completely pull the steering wheel away from you at the same time the seat is sliding back. These two settings when engaged will give you full clearance to get in and out comfortably. And again the steering wheel will also return to its previously set position when you start the car.

​​​​
Shoot! That's not in my options for 2018.
Old 05-17-21 | 08:19 AM
AirForce8
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hoonose
Shoot! That's not in my options for 2018.
Wow, well I just learned something. I'm glad you mentioned this because other future 18 owners would have been confused when reading this. I wonder if there is some kind of update the dealership can do or maybe they can do it via the OBD port? You would think it's just a software issue but what do I know. Maybe there is hardware involved or a memory storage issue. I wonder what year they added/expanded this feature? Any 19 or 20 model year owners know?
Old 05-17-21 | 09:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

When the car is started or in start mode, there is a button on your door labeled "AUTO". Press it and it turns green and the mirrors will now fold automatically when you lock the car. Press it again and the green light will go off and this indicates that the mirrors will not fold automatically when you lock the car.
first off, yeah, i'd never used that button. thanks. second, man that's a tiny green light on that button. had to shade it to see in sunlight with the door open.
make me wonder if people ever read their manual and know how to use an index. Yikes
i'd bet less than 1% of all car owners read the whole manual and probably less than 5% even open it at all. i tried reading the LC manual but my eyes glazed over part way through. car manuals in general have to be some of the worst written manuals i've ever experienced.

glad you have the time and patience to do it though.

if you manually fold the mirrors when driving, say a drive thru, it disengage the auto fold and you will need to engage the auto folding again by pressing the AUTO button on the inside of the door.
that pretty much stinks and may explains why i was second guessing myself because i'd though it auto folded at one time. but when i drive into my garage i always manually fold in the mirrors just for caution (and most %$^$# garages are never wide enough!). so i guess that means because i do that i will have to hit the auto button every frigging time i drive the car somewhere.

Originally Posted by Exhilr8n
the trunk does close a lot more easily on the convertible than on the 2019 LC coupe we had.
interesting - i wonder why - was your 2019 a perf pack model with the heavy retractable wing built into it? mine (coupe) has the retractable wing and so the weight of the trunk makes it pretty easy to close and a bit heavy to open.

Well in the interest of full disclosure, I haven't read the manual myself. I don't do well reading about or being instructed about feature, etc. The only way I truly understand and remember is to physically do it.

Old 05-17-21 | 10:19 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd bet less than 1% of all car owners read the whole manual and probably less than 5% even open it at all. i tried reading the LC manual but my eyes glazed over part way through. car manuals in general have to be some of the worst written manuals i've ever experienced.

glad you have the time and patience to do it though.
I'd agree that very few owners actually read the manual. I can't said I've read it cover to cover but I have read a good portion of it. I have typically lived by my father's credo of " five minutes early is on time & read the instructions". It has served me well lo these many years. It's amazing how much time people think they don't have.

That being said, it's a very simple process to open the manual, flip to the index to find your page number then read those pages. You don't really have to read the entire manual.
harryjames (02-05-22)
Old 05-17-21 | 11:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That being said, it's a very simple process to open the manual, flip to the index to find your page number then read those pages. You don't really have to read the entire manual.
really? i'd never have guessed it's that simple.

rather than get the manual (it's around here somewhere, i certainly don't keep that 'half a tree' in the car) and do that simple task, it's even simpler to ask the usually friendly people on here.

if you'd rather just make snarky comments about my inability to read the manual, i don't need that kind of 'help'.
BruceinFla (03-09-22)
Old 05-17-21 | 12:27 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

rather than get the manual (it's around here somewhere, i certainly don't keep that 'half a tree' in the car) and do that simple task, it's even simpler to ask the usually friendly people on here.
Just a pointer, rather than keeping the 'half a tree' in the car, refer to your eOwner's Manual (it's the one with the CD) (was that snarky?). You can upload your Owner's manual into your Infotainment System and refer to it anytime right in your vehicle under the Info tab on the screen.

Just a little something I learned reading the Owner's Manual. You're welcome. (that might've been a smidgen snarky - )
harryjames (02-05-22)
Old 05-17-21 | 12:53 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Very often the people who “organize” the indices of various manuals have their very own way of thinking. And then add in that it is a translation.

Sometimes it seems they intentionally think of the most obvious questions and intentionally bury them deeply under categories no one would think of if they were trapped on a desert island for years with nothing to read but that manual.

At this point in life I’m not too proud to ask a dumb question. Very often, everyone in the room wanted to ask but were too shy.

And together, we can figure out mistakes and omissions in the manuals. Real life lessons.
The following 2 users liked this post by Exhilr8n:
AirForce8 (05-17-21), DRGibbons (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21 | 01:25 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

A memory aid for remembering the mirror selector switches:
The "Outboard" half of the rocker extends the mirrors Outward.
The "Inboard" half of the rocker folds them Inward.
If you use them this way you will retain the Automatic folding when Locked function.
If you use the Inboard switch to fold them out, you will have turned off the Automatic feature.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
AirForce8 (05-17-21), bitkahuna (05-27-21)
Old 05-17-21 | 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcomer
A memory aid for remembering the mirror selector switches:
The "Outboard" half of the rocker extends the mirrors Outward.
The "Inboard" half of the rocker folds them Inward.
If you use them this way you will retain the Automatic folding when Locked function.
If you use the Inboard switch to fold them out, you will have turned off the Automatic feature.
Appreciate you trying to educate but i haven't the faintest idea what this means. Guess i'll have to RTFM.

edit: here's the info i found (yes DrGibbons i have the manual pdf on my phone and iPad).

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-17-21 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-17-21 | 09:15 PM
AirForce8
Pit Crew

Appreciate you trying to educate but i haven't the faintest idea what this means. Guess i'll have to RTFM.
What he's saying is, when you pull up to a drive thru and fold the mirrors in with the button manually, when folding them back out, use the button with the green light instead of the button you used to fold them in manually. . That will not only unfold the mirrors but also re-engage the auto folding on lock and turn the green light back on.

Honestly, it's the fault of Lexus on this one. It's very unintuitve. Truthfully, just because you fold the mirrors in, that should not disengage the auto fold on lock feature. Not sure why they did it but they must have had a reason I guess.

More than once I've gone to the bank or something folded them in, then folded them back out with the same button. Then gotten to the gym locked the car, went in and noticed the mirrors weren't folded. At first I thought I was accidentally pressing the auto lock on fold button by accident but instead it was Lexus turning that feature off when you manually fold them in and out with the same button that does not have the green light. .

Hell maybe the doctor is right we should read the manual. I don't know though that seems like a pretty extreme solution. I prefer to only read the manual when deactivating a nuclear bomb or something... and then only maybe. 💣😂

Last edited by AirForce8; 05-17-21 at 09:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AirForce8:
bitkahuna (05-17-21), Exhilr8n (05-18-21)
Old 05-19-21 | 12:01 PM
Lnwinston
Driver School Candidate

We just discovered the issue with the mirrors not folding. My BF drove my car on a 2400 mile round trip. His first time driving my car. He has the habit of using the door lock inside, where I use the outside door button. We learned that his way doesn't fold the mirrors. Both the fob and the outside lock 'button' do.

As for the manuals. I look them over when I first get the car, but until I drive more and need something specific, I haven't read them cover to cover for years. Just look stuff up as it comes up.

Last edited by Lnwinston; 05-19-21 at 12:05 PM.
bitkahuna (05-19-21)
Old 05-26-21 | 10:45 AM
DaddyFES
Rookie

I was so confused until I read Lnwinston's post because my mirrors fold in regardless of using the door handle or key fob. And yes there is an option to adjust your seat automatically when entering an existing the vehicle as well as someone pointed out and I do have a 2018 and saw the option. By the way, being in the IT field, I always read the car manual. If nothing else I tend to find things about my cars I would have never known (like little features etc.). It's also the only way I can hold myself over while waiting for delivery of my vehicles.
DRGibbons (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21 | 11:06 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaddyFES
I was so confused until I read Lnwinston's post because my mirrors fold in regardless of using the door handle or key fob. And yes there is an option to adjust your seat automatically when entering an existing the vehicle as well as someone pointed out and I do have a 2018 and saw the option. By the way, being in the IT field, I always read the car manual. If nothing else I tend to find things about my cars I would have never known (like little features etc.). It's also the only way I can hold myself over while waiting for delivery of my vehicles.
I have an 18 and the only seat exit option I found was the steering wheel. Where did you find seat entry options?
Old 05-27-21 | 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i'm finally 'programmed' now to hit 'auto' after backing out of my garage to extend the mirrors out, and then 'fold' when driving into the garage. thanks to mcomer and AirForce8 for getting me on the right path.
by using it this way when i park somewhere else i know the mirrors are going to fold when i lock the car.

on a related note, i'm finally 'programmed' to the do the gentle push about 1/2" on the door handle and WAIT the 1/2 second or so before they retract and the car locks.

on both these items the manual was worthless.
AirForce8 (05-27-21)

Quick Reply: Fold mirrors when locking?