Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

To Tint or Not To Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 11:45 PM
Baronden
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To Tint or Not To Tint?

Living in Texas I’ve never had this dilemma. The answer has always been to tint.

However, I purchased my vehicle from Illinois where tint is not always a must have. I was all set to tint my car until a couple of my friends asked me not to.

They happen to think the Liquid Platinum and red interior is a combination that needs to be seen and not diluted.

Furthermore, the LC’s a/c in concierge mode has been doing a great job at keeping the Texas heat muted.

These circumstances have me for the first time considering not tinting my windows. However, I thought I would gather the thoughts of some fellow LC owners. What say you fellow LC owners tint or no tint?

Last edited by Baronden; 06-15-21 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-15-21, 02:26 AM
FLBill
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the same combination of Liquid Platinum and Rioja Red. I recently had my vehicle ceramic coated and window tinted (30% sides and back, and 70% front windshield). The tinting provides me with 99% UV protection, 98% IR protection, and 90% Solar Energy Absorbance, which is greatly needed here in Florida. Texas has very similar weather as Florida so you can definitely benefit from UV and IR protection as well. Attached are a side and front quarter profile of the tinting. I don’t think it takes anything away from the exterior and interior color combination.

Last edited by FLBill; 06-15-21 at 02:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1wacko (06-15-21)
Old 06-15-21, 05:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

FLBill, looks great but very dark to me. Only 30% on sides? Looks like limo tint.

do you have hud and does front tint mess with that?
Old 06-15-21, 07:16 AM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

I agree with your friends, let it be.

We live in a more temperate part of the country, but some kids here do it. Same ones who put on wheel spacers and lowering springs.

I’ve never needed it for temperature, But more than that it just looks a bit surreptitious, like I’ve something to hide. Openness and transparency are just a part of how I try to live.
Old 06-15-21, 07:33 AM
FLBill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
FLBill, looks great but very dark to me. Only 30% on sides? Looks like limo tint.

do you have hud and does front tint mess with that?
The tinting is 30% per the detailer, it might appear to be on the darker side but it is legal here in Florida (I asked before installation), also, the photos were taken on an overcast day. The film installed on the front windshield has no impact on the HUD nor it’s readability. What I am thrilled about is UV & IR protection for myself (when driving) and the vehicle in general. Anyone from Florida understands how vehicles bake in the sun here. Its comforting to have some protection against this, especially since both intense sunshine and UV exposure are long lasting here.
Old 06-15-21, 07:43 AM
FLBill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Exhilr8n

We live in a more temperate part of the country,
The poster lives in Texas which is very much like Florida in terms of UV & IR exposure. This is the very first car that I’ve ever had tinted and I did it for the reasons posted above. Tinting is a personal decision and it’s not my intent to persuade one way or another. It’s my belief that ultimately the tinting will save the interior color as it will not be subjected to the full UV exposure.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-15-21 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-15-21, 08:05 AM
Baronden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLBill
I have the same combination of Liquid Platinum and Rioja Red. I recently had my vehicle ceramic coated and window tinted (30% sides and back, and 70% front windshield). The tinting provides me with 99% UV protection, 98% IR protection, and 90% Solar Energy Absorbance, which is greatly needed here in Florida. Texas has very similar weather as Florida so you can definitely benefit from UV and IR protection as well. Attached are a side and front quarter profile of the tinting. I don’t think it takes anything away from the exterior and interior color combination.
Your LC does still look good with the tint and I may have to do it for the practical reasons you listed.

I think they’re point is the vanity of onlookers and passersby easily seeing the red interior.

I’m not a vain person so that doesn’t matter much to me.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-15-21 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-15-21, 08:13 AM
Baronden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Exhilr8n

We live in a more temperate part of the country, but some kids here do it. Same ones who put on wheel spacers and lowering springs.

I’ve never needed it for temperature, But more than that it just looks a bit surreptitious, like I’ve something to hide. Openness and transparency are just a part of how I try to live.

This is an interesting take.......

However, 90% of cars on the road in Texas have tinted windows, so I don’t think it’s seems serrepititious here.

It might make the LC even more unique.

We shall see.
Old 06-15-21, 08:54 AM
FLBill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Baronden
Your LC does still look good with the tint and I may have to do it for the practical reasons you listed.

I think they’re point is the vanity of onlookers and passersby easily seeing the red interior.

I’m not a vain person so that doesn’t matter much to me.
Please do what is right for you, I’m only sharing my personal experience because our cars could be identical twin brothers. To share a story with you, I was on my way home from picking my car up from the Lexus Dealership after having some maintenance done last Friday. A young man in a white Hyundai pulled up on my right side at a stop light and motioned me to roll my window down, which I did. He said, “That’s a really tight car you have there, what do you do for a living.” Not wanting to get personal I replied that I worked at the Space Center and that I did all right financially. Maybe because of my age, I’m not quite sure what he meant by a “Tight car”, but I could see that he was really impressed and enamored. This car definitely draws a lot of attention and I’m truly blessed to be able to own such a magnificent vehicle.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-15-21 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-15-21, 09:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe because of my age, I’m not quite sure what he meant by a “Tight car”, but I could see that he was really impressed and enamored.
Urban Dictionary: JDM Tyte Yo

The following users liked this post:
FLBill (06-15-21)
Old 06-15-21, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The tinting is 30% per the detailer, it might appear to be on the darker side but it is legal here in Florida (I asked before installation), also, the photos were taken on an overcast day.
gotcha. of course 30% means 70% of the light is blocked out plus the windows themselves are tinted, so not really surprised. your car does look great.

The film installed on the front windshield has no impact on the HUD nor it’s readability.
great! thanks for that.

What I am thrilled about is UV & IR protection for myself (when driving) and the vehicle in general. Anyone from Florida understands how vehicles bake in the sun here. Its comforting to have some protection against this, especially since both intense sunshine and UV exposure are long lasting here.
my LC spends 90+% of its time in my garage so not too concerned about me or the interior but glad it's comforting!

i am still planning on getting my LC tinted by the way.
Old 06-15-21, 10:33 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

I think I have found what I consider the best of both worlds. Upon recommendation from the people that installed my PPF and ceramic coating I installed 3M Crystalline Series window film. I love it as it allows others to see in, my old eyes to see out (especially at night) and a dramatic reduction in interior temperature. It's been on my LC now for 3 years and holding up perfectly. I've attached a 'normal daytime' photo showing the amount of tint.

From the 3M website - 3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series
  • Light tint rejects up to 60% of solar energy and up to 97% of heat-producing infrared rays for the ultimate in comfort.
  • Designed to enhance your view by allowing visible light into your vehicle while keeping heat out, so you can see clearly and safely.
  • Non-metallized window film lets you stay connected with mobile devices, GPS or satellite radio reception without interference.
  • Blocks up to 99% of ultraviolet (UV) light to provide a total Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 1000 for you and your passengers.

The following 3 users liked this post by DRGibbons:
1wacko (06-15-21), bitkahuna (06-15-21), ISellHomes (06-28-21)
Old 06-15-21, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ nice, so what % tint is that? and did you do the windshield too, or just sides and back (presumably)?
Old 06-15-21, 10:59 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ nice, so what % tint is that? and did you do the windshield too, or just sides and back (presumably)?
It is a 3M CR40 (one step down from their darkest) without tint on the windshield.
Old 06-15-21, 01:21 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 632 Likes on 405 Posts

I grew up in Oregon, lived in Nebraska for 18 months, and now in AZ for 8 years.

I’ve tinted every car I’ve owned (except my F355) 30% (illegal, yes, but I don’t care).

I can’t stand being in a car without tinted windows.

Last edited by 355F1; 06-15-21 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: To Tint or Not To Tint?