Daily driver with two kids?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-21, 09:41 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Daily driver with two kids?

Hi all,

So I am hoping that someone talks some sense into me. I come from having owned an MR2, Supra, and an ISF over the past 20 years. However, for the past 7 years I've been rocking an '11 LS460L with pretty much everything but the executive package. It has been a fantastic car and especially useful with two kids (5 and 7). The legroom in the back is unparalleled, so having the two behind me makes it super easy driving them to and from school. But I am starting to get the itch for some change and have been window shopping for a little bit now.

The prime candidate was a '17+ GSF. Large, practical, great looks. Downside is the lack of some basic features like a heated steering wheel and vented seats. I plan to drive the car year-round, so some of those creature comforts would be nice. As an alternate, I have considered a '17+ Panamera. But I am afraid of owning a German car long term. But as alternates to these two, you have the RCF and the LC500. Personally, the interior and the exterior styling of the LC500 wins by miles. The downside ... the back seat. I am not a big guy and there is enough space behind my seat when adjusted to a good position for someone to sit. Still, it's no GS.

So I am curious to ask: has anyone here used their LC for daily duties involving kids? Am I nuts for even considering the LC as an only car (for myself ... the wife drives a GX so we have a large car at our disposal). Or are there other people pulling this off.

As a side-note, if you have any feedback, positive or negative, on the Panamera, feel free to share it.

Thanks all.
Old 07-13-21, 10:15 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry, but no. I went through the same exercise, and I’ve managed it with a 13-year-old in the front and a 9-year-old crammed into the back (for brief trips only). But two in the back (both used to ample leg space) on a daily basis? Virtually impossible, especially as they grow.

One workaround; Buy the LC, a terrific car, and assign it to whoever is not hauling the kids on any given day.

Last edited by redhot47fl; 07-13-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-13-21, 10:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
You didn’t say how old your kids are,
yes ascari did, 5 and 7.

but two in the back (both used to ample leg space) on a daily basis? Virtually impossible, especially as they grow.
agree while technically possible, on a daily basis would be a ROYAL pita.

i'd get the new is500 f-sport performance - same engine, 4 doors.
Old 07-13-21, 10:24 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes ascari did, 5 and7.
Was multitasking. Fixed it.
Old 07-13-21, 10:26 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
Sorry, but no. I went through the same exercise, and I’ve managed it with a 13-year-old in the front and a 9-year-old crammed into the back (for brief trips only). You didn’t say how old your kids are, but two in the back (both used to ample leg space) on a daily basis? Virtually impossible, especially as they grow.

One workaround; Buy the LC, a terrific car, and assign it to whoever is not hauling the kids on any given day.
Thanks. Kids are 5 and 7, so they would fit for now, but I don't change cars often and would likely keep this for 5+ years.

Their school is about 15 minutes away, so not a long drive by any means. But still, dealing with something like this on a daily basis could bring about some headaches. As far as your suggestion to car-swap, unfortunately it won't work. We often switch up in terms of who does picks and drop offs. So while I might drop them off on my way to work, my wife would pick them up on her way home from her job.

It really does seem like the GSF / Panamera would be ideal candidates for something like this. It's too bad because my son loves how the LC looks.
Old 07-13-21, 10:28 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes ascari did, 5 and 7.

agree while technically possible, on a daily basis would be a ROYAL pita.

i'd get the new is500 f-sport performance - same engine, 4 doors.
I've got my eyes on that car. Somehow I am just not too crazy about the IS styling, but it's a maybe. At least it has a heated steering wheel unlike the GSF.
Old 07-13-21, 10:45 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I get my car in october, will report back. My kids are 12 and 10, but they are not tall and my wife is also very short, so she can move her chair up considerably.
Old 07-13-21, 10:53 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by r1lee
I get my car in october, will report back. My kids are 12 and 10, but they are not tall and my wife is also very short, so she can move her chair up considerably.
Would love to hear your thoughts, especially a year or so into the ownership. Not sure I'll wait around that long, but I am not under a gun to make my next move.
Old 07-13-21, 11:05 AM
DaddyFES
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

That made me laugh. You definitely need a second vehicle. The LC's back seat can barely fit a 5 year old let alone a 10 year old. I have a "beater" Infiniti JX35 SUV with a 3rd row for hauling the kids and dog. My poor dog doesn't get out much since I'm always using every opportunity to drive the LC.
The following users liked this post:
iceblast (07-24-21)
Old 07-13-21, 11:10 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaddyFES
That made me laugh. You definitely need a second vehicle. The LC's back seat can barely fit a 5 year old let alone a 10 year old. I have a "beater" Infiniti JX35 SUV with a 3rd row for hauling the kids and dog. My poor dog doesn't get out much since I'm always using every opportunity to drive the LC.
Having had them both at the dealer ... they do fit. The question isn't whether they fit now. The question is now much of a PITA is it to have a sports coupe with 2 kids in general.

And as much as I wouldn't mind having a "beater" it would defeat the purpose of having the LC. In most cases, I am going somewhere with my kids on at least one leg of the journey (e.g., drop them off then head to the office). So doing his in the 3rd car would be somewhat pointless. And that's not to mention that we have a 2-car garage.
Old 07-13-21, 11:20 AM
DaddyFES
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't love your kids, of course they fit in the backseat. They could fit into a duffel bag if you needed them to. Kidding. I get your point. I mean it could work for the use case you described, but the kid in the back won't be happy and the kid in the front might be pretty darn close to that dashboard to make room for the kid in the back. But I've totally done what you said, drop two kids off and enjoy the car the rest of my journey. It's feasible, but I worry about feet on my passenger seat, or dents/imprints on my passenger seat. I also have 3 kids so I can only get 2 max in mine (the youngest). The problem is now I never want to drive the SUV with that goddamn CVT transmission that irks the hell out of me. A CVT on a "luxury" SUV. Ugh!
Old 07-13-21, 11:25 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
The question is now much of a PITA is it to have a sports coupe with 2 kids in general..
Actually, the REAL question is, how much of a PITA is it to have two small kids!!! Before you all scream at me, JUST KIDDING! (sort of - hahaha)

As I said on a similar thread:
"You really should not consider the rear area of the LC's cabin as seats. More of a place for small baggage (a package shelf). Don't kid yourself, they are essentially unusable for humans even for short jaunts unless the front seat passengers are truly munchkins."

You will hate the inconvenience and the wear and tear on the interior of your LC.
The following users liked this post:
AirForce8 (07-13-21)
Old 07-13-21, 11:34 AM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

GSF would be my vote especially since you have 2 kids. The reason I no longer have a coupe after 10 years is because my wife and I are expecting our first child next month so decided I wanted something I can use daily and still have loads of fun with a naturally aspirated V8 and high build quality / reliability. As others have said the new IS500 would also be a good bet.

Last edited by ashschwin; 07-13-21 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-13-21, 11:45 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Oh you guys don't need to tell me how much of a PITA two kids are .

On the one hand I see the point of not scuffing up the interior and such. On the other, I see the fact that none of us are getting younger and waiting another 10 years until the kids have their own cars/out of the house to enjoy life is a long time. I also like to think that my kids are a bit more caring that average in terms of the interior of the car. So I can trust them to some extent.

As far as a GSF, a part of me wants to import one from Canada since they got the heated steering wheel, cooled seats, rear shades and rear controls, and a power trunk. Still baffles me that these things weren't on the US models. I dread the thought of driving in the frigged winters while grasping a cold wheel. Did it back with my MR2 and Volvo 850, and can do without it now.

BTW, the kids love the idea of me getting one. But I am not sure if that would translate into enjoyment down the road.
Old 07-13-21, 12:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

i say you should move to florida so the heated wheel is a non issue and real estate is cheaper than IL so you can get a house with a 3 car garage and get the beater for kid trips.

Quick Reply: Daily driver with two kids?