My Japanese car waiting for some Japanese yum yum at the Kobe’ tonight

The following users liked this post:
AutoCrazy (09-23-23)
Old 09-24-23, 07:50 PM
AtomicSilverBullet
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Feedback Welcome

Got my LC last week and thought that beautiful grille needed a little nighttime accentuating. It is not as subtle as I had hoped, but thought I’d get some feedback…
The following users liked this post:
RaptureEnd (12-20-23)
Old 09-24-23, 08:08 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicSilverBullet
Got my LC last week and thought that beautiful grille needed a little nighttime accentuating. It is not as subtle as I had hoped, but thought I’d get some feedback…
I like it - post some more pics please
Old 09-25-23, 09:31 AM
Enzo954
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 61 Posts

Love it! Maybe a little dimmer would be ideal. Give us a walkthrough of how you did it and what products you used please.
Old 09-25-23, 05:43 PM
AtomicSilverBullet
10th Gear

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
I like it - post some more pics please

Here are a few pics I took this evening from a few different angles and light light sources.

Old 09-25-23, 05:57 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Damn that looks really nice! I don’t think it would look as good on my banana yellow LC but I think it would look fantastic on all the silvers and platinums and grays.
Old 09-25-23, 06:02 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice one. Make it glowing animation from dip red to bright orange. Then you get the first place for upcoming Halloween.
Old 09-25-23, 06:09 PM
AtomicSilverBullet
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Enzo954
Love it! Maybe a little dimmer would be ideal. Give us a walkthrough of how you did it and what products you used please.
Hello Enzo, I posted a few more pics I took this evening after I made a few changes.
I used three LED Innovations LED strips (two-10” for the middle and one-10”up top).
Under the hood I removed the shroud over the radiator (held in with 6 or 8 push clips). One 10” strip is mounted upside down on the edge of top lip of the grill just forward of the hood release lever - the uppermost portion of the grille where it it solid plastic. The other two strips are mounted to the back of the front number housing about 1/4”from the bottom. This allows the light to shine directly onto the radiator. The pics from yesterday I had mounted those two strips on the bottom of the bumper casing, but it was too bright and harsh. After tinkering tonight and posting the updated pics it is much more subtle.
With the radiator shroud removed there is an opening to the left of the hood release to get your left arm down in there. The right side is problematic as there is not much room, but I took one for the team and and got a few good scratches on my forearm!
the wiring I put in wire loom (I prefer the traditional accordion style over the newer mesh style as the accordion is easier to work with imo).
On the top radiator support to the left, I drilled a pilot hole, scuffed the paint (gasp), attached a stake on to the end of the ground wire and ran a stainless steel, self tapping machine screw in the pilot hole. The power wire runs under the left (passenger side) shroud that goes back toward the wheel well. It comes out the backside of that shroud and over to the fuse block at the fire wall.
For now the wire goes under the fuse block lid and I used an “add a fuse” to the 30A fuse marked as D/C IGN 2.
this fuse is switched power, so the circuit is only open when the ignition is on.
The finishing touch will be to drill a small hole through the backside of the fuse block (or cover), insert a grommet in the hole and seal it.
For the moment it works and if water gets THAT far up the firewall I will have bigger problems!
Hope this wasn’t too wordy, but that is how the magic happened!

Last edited by AtomicSilverBullet; 09-25-23 at 06:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AtomicSilverBullet:
bitkahuna (10-21-23), Enzo954 (09-25-23)
Old 09-25-23, 06:12 PM
AtomicSilverBullet
10th Gear

Originally Posted by microsup
Nice one. Make it glowing animation from dip red to bright orange. Then you get the first place for upcoming Halloween.
my last toy was a Dodge Durango and put white LED’s in the center hood scoop and red on the sides where the extractor vents were (facing upward). It got a lot of attention.
I don’t think the local Po-Po would enjoy colored lights facing forward.
Old 09-25-23, 06:14 PM
AtomicSilverBullet
10th Gear

Damn that looks really nice! I don’t think it would look as good on my banana yellow LC but I think it would look fantastic on all the silvers and platinums and grays.
I’m sure you could find some lower lumen LED’s to get a subtle look, but banana yellow, though stunning isn’t a subtle color!
Old 09-25-23, 07:53 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

I’m sure you could find some lower lumen LED’s to get a subtle look, but banana yellow, though stunning isn’t a subtle color!
Have you tried putting a strip of LED’s in the
scoop in front of the rear wheels?
Old 09-25-23, 08:05 PM
AtomicSilverBullet
10th Gear

Have you tried putting a strip of LED’s in the
scoop in front of the rear wheels?
I must admit the thought crossed my mind, but came to an abrupt end after thinking about drilling hole to run a wire or mount a light!

I think it would give an interesting appearance, but would have to seriously weigh the installation aspects.
Old 09-26-23, 08:46 AM
Enzo954
Pit Crew

I've been looking at the pics you've posted and IMO the lighting might look better if you only lit up the lower portion of the grille/front end. The upper part of the grille has too much going on with wiring etc. and it doesn't look as clean. Would I be correct in assuming that the upper and lower mesh part of the grille aren't partitioned off and light would bleed into each section so blocking the light off to the top section wouldn't be possible?
Old 09-26-23, 10:26 AM
AtomicSilverBullet
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Enzo954
I've been looking at the pics you've posted and IMO the lighting might look better if you only lit up the lower portion of the grille/front end. The upper part of the grille has too much going on with wiring etc. and it doesn't look as clean. Would I be correct in assuming that the upper and lower mesh part of the grille aren't partitioned off and light would bleed into each section so blocking the light off to the top section wouldn't be possible?
You are correct in that it is not partitioned. The bumper runs across the center of the grille and behind it is 4 or 5 inches of space to the radiator which has clear space from top to bottom.
Maybe I’ll play around with it a bit more and see what it looks like without any lights at the top.
In general, most people passing by won’t look long enough to examine the horns and A/C piping on the top right inside the grille.
Old 09-26-23, 11:02 AM
Enzo954
Pit Crew

You are correct in that it is not partitioned. The bumper runs across the center of the grille and behind it is 4 or 5 inches of space to the radiator which has clear space from top to bottom.
Maybe I’ll play around with it a bit more and see what it looks like without any lights at the top.
In general, most people passing by won’t look long enough to examine the horns and A/C piping on the top right inside the grille.
Thanks for the response. I'd like to see someone sell a replacement front and rear emblem where the "L" lights up. Kind of like Mercedes does. That might look nice.

Quick Reply: Post a picture you took today