LC Model (2018-present)

Feels so bad about my LC convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 01:51 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by LCCLover
One month into ownership. I absolutely loved it for obvious reasons. Just found the top cannot be closed with weird sound. Something like a shaft stuck out from inside. The quality issue is so frustrating. I could never have imagined claiming warranty on a Lexus.

When I was a kid, my family had a LS 400. I still miss the quality back then. It just runs forever and needs minimum maintenance. As much as I love Lexus, I have to admit made in Japan is overrated these days. Quality continues to decline. I can’t even blame it on something like “made in Ohio” or “parts from South Carolina”, when I realize this car is 100% made in Japan bumper to bumper.

Just feels sad.

This sucks. I'm a bit nervous also given this is the first year of the convertible. They touted that they tested the top 18000 times until something minor broke. I hope this is the case. Please keep us updated
The following users liked this post:
dknyov (09-05-21)
Old 09-06-21, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
This sucks. I'm a bit nervous also given this is the first year of the convertible. They touted that they tested the top 18000 times until something minor broke. I hope this is the case. Please keep us updated
LCCLover's roof defect is the only instance i've seen anywhere of such a thing. Certainly sucks for LCCLover, but hopefully gets fixed soon and never returns.

The LC is built in the highest quality factory on earth, which should give great confidence.
Old 09-06-21, 08:07 PM
LCCLover
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So i was thinking about your post today and wanted to check out my coupe's visors when i got home. I just did.

The visors are beautifully wrapped in alcantera.

Convertible interior components have to be able to withstand the elements. It could rain, freeze, be baking hot, etc. i wouldn't want rain on the alcantera for example. I'm not sure, but i don't think the convertibles have alcantera anywhere, is that right? I remember seeing the door panels are different for example.
Thanks, bitkahuna, for taking the time to do this. It just gives me more mixed feelings about my LC convertible purchase. Perhaps the LC coupe is what I should buy and what I really need. The new convertibles simply did not age too well. BTW, like someone in this thread mentioned, the only place wrapped in alcantera is over the dash.
Old 09-06-21, 08:14 PM
LCCLover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LXSDO
It surely sucks. FYI, I only put the top down about 20-30 times, which is not too many by any standard, considering I only have it for a little over a month. Not sure about what the dealer did to it, but when I got the car, it only had 9 miles on it.
The following users liked this post:
LXSDO (09-06-21)
Old 09-06-21, 08:27 PM
LCCLover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LCCLover's roof defect is the only instance i've seen anywhere of such a thing. Certainly sucks for LCCLover, but hopefully gets fixed soon and never returns.

The LC is built in the highest quality factory on earth, which should give great confidence.

I am afraid the quality does not extend to LC convertibles. The model is just too new and there are not that many data points on it. I hope the truth proves me wrong though. Just like Lexus kept fine-tuning and even made major changes to the LC coupe after launch in 2018, it might just need a few more years to perfect this new model. My only wish is that they do not put cheap plastic with a rough surface into the convertibles. They look really bad on this otherwise extremely beautiful interior. Last time I saw a plastic part this rough was a pair of wall hooks from dollar tree.
Old 09-07-21, 06:10 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

One month into ownership. I absolutely loved it for obvious reasons. Just found the top cannot be closed with weird sound. Something like a shaft stuck out from inside. The quality issue is so frustrating. I could never have imagined claiming warranty on a Lexus.

When I was a kid, my family had a LS 400. I still miss the quality back then. It just runs forever and needs minimum maintenance. As much as I love Lexus, I have to admit made in Japan is overrated these days. Quality continues to decline. I can’t even blame it on something like “made in Ohio” or “parts from South Carolina”, when I realize this car is 100% made in Japan bumper to bumper.

Just feels sad.

I am sure that they can fix it or replace the top. This is my third Lexus. Never had a problem with any of them. I think they will take care of you.
Old 09-11-21, 04:48 AM
rktinc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the best things about owning a Lexus is how fanatical they are about customer service. I am sure the dealer and Lexus / Toyota will correct everything and exceed your satisfaction for the inconvenience. I have even heard of them making a payment for a new car if parts are back ordered. Hopefully, your car is paid for but give Lexus a chance to impress you. I am sure they will. If not, you are at the wrong dealership.
Old 09-11-21, 05:23 AM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for all the input.

I might have too much unrealistic expectation about their QC process since I had no problem at all with my two previous Lexus. Now I have updated my prior belief. Also, please check out this cheap plastic on the sun visor. I bet they use better quality plastic on corollas. I am not sure this is anything close to “attention to detail”, definitely not something you should put in a 100K flagship.

Just got back from the dealer. They found the broken part inside after taking the entire top down. It is still not clear if that’s a defective one or if it was improperly installed. The wait is gonna be about 2 mo or so since they’re ordering parts from Japan. I was told not to use the top while waiting for the parts to arrive. I can officially say goodbye to my summer fun rides.
2 month wait. Now that sucks! But like others have said. It happens. You will enjoy it for years. Hopefully you can still drive it top up.