LC Model (2018-present)

Feels so bad about my LC convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 07:35 PM
LCCLover
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Feels so bad about my LC convertible

One month into ownership. I absolutely loved it for obvious reasons. Just found the top cannot be closed with weird sound. Something like a shaft stuck out from inside. The quality issue is so frustrating. I could never have imagined claiming warranty on a Lexus.

When I was a kid, my family had a LS 400. I still miss the quality back then. It just runs forever and needs minimum maintenance. As much as I love Lexus, I have to admit made in Japan is overrated these days. Quality continues to decline. I can’t even blame it on something like “made in Ohio” or “parts from South Carolina”, when I realize this car is 100% made in Japan bumper to bumper.

Just feels sad.

Old 09-01-21, 07:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Very sorry to hear.

LC did just win the JD Power award for the lowest problems per 100 cars (14!) in initial quaity by FAR.

The following 4 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
355F1 (09-02-21), AirForce8 (09-03-21), breplica (09-06-21), ChalkTalk (09-03-21)
Old 09-01-21, 07:56 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Very sorry to hear.

LC did just win the JD Power award for the lowest problems per 100 cars (14!) in initial quaity by FAR.

14 per hundred sounds a lot more sensible; a previous wild hare post claimed every LC came with an issue, which somehow didnt make sense....
Old 09-02-21, 04:34 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

It happens and it sucks. But kind of over dramatic maybe? You never imagined claiming warranty on the LC, Seriously? Just get it fix, I'm sure it's something very minor and shouldn't happen again.

Maybe sell the car and get yourself a German, Italian or even American. See how that works out for you.
The following users liked this post:
asinow (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 05:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

r1lee - that's not helpful. It's understandable to be upset if a new beautiful LC convertible's roof malfunctions.

LCCLover - give us an update once the dealer has figured out what's wrong, what the fix is, and how long. And again, really sorry this happened to your beautiful new car!

Old 09-02-21, 07:09 AM
lingcod
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, sorry to hear this. That can't feel good. I'd be really disappointed as well. Hope it gets sorted out quickly and easily!
Old 09-02-21, 07:11 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

r1lee - that's not helpful. It's understandable to be upset if a new beautiful LC convertible's roof malfunctions.

LCCLover - give us an update once the dealer has figured out what's wrong, what the fix is, and how long. And again, really sorry this happened to your beautiful new car!
sorry OP, like i said in my other post. I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
But i do stand by what i said though. These things happen, it sucks, but get it fixed and hopefully it doesn't happen again. The guy putting it together probably woke up the same way i did!
bitkahuna (09-02-21)
Old 09-02-21, 09:19 AM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Statistically still the highest quality vehicles built.

There is no such thing as 100% perfection, that's what warranties are for. I'm sure it'll be fully repaired and you'll have many years of enjoyment out of it, don't sweat it. I work on all my cars and Toyotas have some of the most robust and sensible engineering out there, it's the foundation of their reputation and reliability.

We have a SC400 in the family from new, over 300k miles and runs like a Swiss watch.
The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
355F1 (09-02-21), r1lee (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 03:10 PM
LCCLover
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input.

I might have too much unrealistic expectation about their QC process since I had no problem at all with my two previous Lexus. Now I have updated my prior belief. Also, please check out this cheap plastic on the sun visor. I bet they use better quality plastic on corollas. I am not sure this is anything close to “attention to detail”, definitely not something you should put in a 100K flagship.

Just got back from the dealer. They found the broken part inside after taking the entire top down. It is still not clear if that’s a defective one or if it was improperly installed. The wait is gonna be about 2 mo or so since they’re ordering parts from Japan. I was told not to use the top while waiting for the parts to arrive. I can officially say goodbye to my summer fun rides.

Old 09-02-21, 04:35 PM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LCCLover
Thanks for all the input.

I might have too much unrealistic expectation about their QC process since I had no problem at all with my two previous Lexus. Now I have updated my prior belief. Also, please check out this cheap plastic on the sun visor. I bet they use better quality plastic on corollas. I am not sure this is anything close to “attention to detail”, definitely not something you should put in a 100K flagship.

Just got back from the dealer. They found the broken part inside after taking the entire top down. It is still not clear if that’s a defective one or if it was improperly installed. The wait is gonna be about 2 mo or so since they’re ordering parts from Japan. I was told not to use the top while waiting for the parts to arrive. I can officially say goodbye to my summer fun rides.
That why I choose the coupe over Soft Top Convertibles.
Old 09-02-21, 04:57 PM
LCCLover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dknyov
That why I choose the coupe over Soft Top Convertibles.
Indeed, or hard top convertibles. Def not soft.
dknyov (09-02-21)
Old 09-02-21, 07:29 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Statistically still the highest quality vehicles built.

We have a SC400 in the family from new, over 300k miles and runs like a Swiss watch.
thanks for the great comment !
Old 09-02-21, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LCCLover

So i was thinking about your post today and wanted to check out my coupe's visors when i got home. I just did.

The visors are beautifully wrapped in alcantera.

Convertible interior components have to be able to withstand the elements. It could rain, freeze, be baking hot, etc. i wouldn't want rain on the alcantera for example. I'm not sure, but i don't think the convertibles have alcantera anywhere, is that right? I remember seeing the door panels are different for example.
Old 09-02-21, 09:22 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

This is one of the negatives of top down living. I am sure I am not alone in hoping every single time the mechanism works that it at least finishes before it breaks. Lots of abrupt and scary sounds coming from back there. I’ve not had but a few convertibles but our McLarens sure felt smoother and were faster. Not really a fair comparison though becase they were hardtop convertibles.

Overall these cars all quite well made but they are not $200,000+ like a Bentley and there are definite compromises in materials and quality versus that standard. A few bug me but all considered the LC is a great value.

Last edited by Exhilr8n; 09-03-21 at 12:42 PM.
dknyov (09-03-21)
Old 09-05-21, 01:49 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

So i was thinking about your post today and wanted to check out my coupe's visors when i got home. I just did.

The visors are beautifully wrapped in alcantera.

Convertible interior components have to be able to withstand the elements. It could rain, freeze, be baking hot, etc. i wouldn't want rain on the alcantera for example. I'm not sure, but i don't think the convertibles have alcantera anywhere, is that right? I remember seeing the door panels are different for example.
Yeah one of the drawbacks of owning the convertible, you sacrifice some of the nicer materials for more weather/waterproof materials. There is only a small bit of alcantara over the drivers dash. However I do prefer the full leather seats versus the alcantara inserts. One of the struggles I had when choosing between the two. But the open top experience just can't be replicated in the coupe.

Quick Reply: Feels so bad about my LC convertible