LC Model (2018-present)
View Poll Results: What kind of engine oil are you running in your LC 500?
Conventional
30.30%
Synthetic
69.70%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 09:56 AM
SunCruzin
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Just returned from the initial servicing of the vehicle. The dealership would not do a synthetic oil change. They would only use conventional 5W-30 for the refill.
The following users liked this post:
TripFarmer (06-15-22)
Old 06-12-22, 05:11 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCruzin
Just returned from the initial servicing of the vehicle. The dealership would not do a synthetic oil change. They would only use conventional 5W-30 for the refill.
Unless the manual states only to use synthetic (then you would have an reason for them to redo) theres really no difference especially now that it's summer.
Old 06-12-22, 12:06 PM
SunCruzin
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by r1lee
Unless the manual states only to use synthetic (then you would have an reason for them to redo) theres really no difference especially now that it's summer.
The service department was initially unsure as to whether they could use synthetic as the new oil refill. The service rep did some checking and also talked to another department head. At the end they were adamant that they needed to use conventional and would not consider substituting synthetic. They further went on to tell me that the other cars in their lineup receive synthetic for changes and could not give me a really understandable reason why it could not be subbed iinto the LC.
Nonetheless, I defer to the manufacturer's guidelines and judgements. I would have preferred the synthetic, but am satisfied currently with the conventional oil.
Old 06-12-22, 01:10 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 626 Likes on 332 Posts

Yeah i also want to do synthetic but the engine bay says 5w30 so I guess it’s old school both inside and out hahah. Dino oil is fine as long as you change it frequently. I’m pretty sure that’s exactly why Lexus chose conventional instead of synthetic…

Does anyone know if the gs-f or is500 also uses conventional? I could have sworn the rcf uses synthetic.
Old 06-12-22, 02:08 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCruzin
The service department was initially unsure as to whether they could use synthetic as the new oil refill. The service rep did some checking and also talked to another department head. At the end they were adamant that they needed to use conventional and would not consider substituting synthetic. They further went on to tell me that the other cars in their lineup receive synthetic for changes and could not give me a really understandable reason why it could not be subbed iinto the LC.
Nonetheless, I defer to the manufacturer's guidelines and judgements. I would have preferred the synthetic, but am satisfied currently with the conventional oil.
Run, don't walk from this service department. They are giving you incorrect advice on something that they obviously have no real knowledge (obvious by the fact that they were unable to give you a reason!!). You do realize that this same engine is used in some of "the other cars in their lineup" that they say they do use synthetic in. Their response is illogical on it's face.

Refer to this thread (Standard vs Synthetic Oil - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion) as this topic has been discussed thoroughly already on this forum. Synthetic oil is ALWAYS better for your LC.
Old 06-12-22, 03:24 PM
TripFarmer
Driver

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

It’s confusing. My manual says 1,000 and 5,000 are complementary. Check me. The Lexus website says 5,000 and 10,000. My dealership and Service Manager said he’d do all 3 complementary. In fact, per the manual the customizations are to be done at the 5,000 service but he did the at the 30 day/1,000 mile last week. The 30 day/1,000 mile is really like a multipoint inspection. Oil changes plus more at the others. See if your Dealer will do all 3 complimentary.
Old 06-12-22, 05:27 PM
JSM701
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

I will be using conventional 5-30w when I change the oil on my LC. There has to be a reason the manual calls for conventional oil & all LC "s came from the factory with conventional oil, not synthetic oil.
TripFarmer (06-12-22)
Old 06-12-22, 06:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

^^^^Actually the owners manual does not specify conventional motor oil. It specifies this:

Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oi
GF-5 specifies -

Oils meeting ILSAC GF-5 are typically low HTHS (≤ 3.5cP) SAE 10W-30, 5W-30, 0W-30, 5W-20, 0W-20 and 0W-16 based on API Group II, Group III or Group IV base oils and coupled with API SN PLUS, API SN and resource conserving claim.
There is a later standard GF-6A:

GF-6A specifies -

GF-6A: Backward-compatible standard for SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, and SAE 10W-30, but not SAE 0W-16. This standard will continue to utilize the starburst symbol for licensing. GF-6B: New standard for SAE 0W-16 ONLY, developed to meet the needs of specific modern engines
I don't know about you, but I'm using an oil that meets the latest spelkcification. I use Penknzoil Ultra Platinum. It meets the GF-6A spec.
Old 06-12-22, 08:26 PM
JSM701
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^Actually the owners manual does not specify conventional motor oil. It specifies this:

GF-5 specifies -

There is a later standard GF-6A:

GF-6A specifies -

I don't know about you, but I'm using an oil that meets the latest spelkcification. I use Penknzoil Ultra Platinum. It meets the GF-6A spec.
The manual also does not mention using synthetic oil, it states to use Toyota Genuine Motor Oil which was used at the factory ,a conv oil.I was told by several Lexus dealerships that Lexus recommends conv oil.You can use the oil you prefer, I was just saying what oil I will use.
TripFarmer (06-13-22)
Old 06-13-22, 07:02 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Originally Posted by JSM701
I was told by several Lexus dealerships that Lexus recommends conv oil
Those 'several Lexus dealerships' were wrong. Just saying.

Use what you wish. Conventional oil will not harm the engine and if you strictly follow a proper oil and filter change regimen your engine will last like a Lexus - but there are products out there that are better.

Also bear in mind, as Lou points out, oil technology evolves and oils get better. The fellow that strictly follows his 1957 Chevy's owner's manual recommendations is most certainly not doing his engine any favors (granted - extreme example)
Old 06-13-22, 08:21 AM
TripFarmer
Driver

If Lexus says you may use synthetic in place of conventional you still have to change every 5,000 miles. If Lexus says you must use synthetic you can change at 10,000. My 2022 is placarded I. The engine bay for conventional
JSM701 (06-14-22)
Old 06-13-22, 08:40 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Originally Posted by TripFarmer
IIf Lexus says you must use synthetic you can change at 10,000
Incorrect - You should not increase your service (oil change) interval if you use synthetic.

I'm re-posting this that I posted on this Forum in June of 2018 for reference - - - - -

I've been involved with the automotive oil industry and heard more half baked experts and truths than I can shake a stick at. The fact is, synthetic oil outperforms even a high quality standard oil for engines such as the one in our LC - no question - dare I say ALL engines. Only a few Mazda rotary engines are better served by standard oils for reasons I won't get into here.

Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous: Better low and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes. Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. Conventional oils break down and begin offering poor performance much more quickly than synthetic oils. This means they offer poorer overall engine protection, and can lower the lifespan of your engine. Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.

That being said, it is NOT recommended to extend the oil change interval from the Lexus recommended interval. Oil changes are not only intended to refresh the oil, but to also remove any impurities such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid that are byproducts of the combustion process that cannot be removed with filters alone.

Don't get me wrong, high quality standard oils can be very good as well. Just not AS good as synthetic. For the small amount of cost increase to use a synthetic oil, the extra security is well worth it in my opinion. Ask for synthetic specifically when you get you oil changed.

I always get a laugh at people that will spend thousands of dollars to prevent a rock chip in their paint but balk at the comparatively minuscule cost increase for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Skip a couple Starbucks each month and go for the good stuff.

My 2 cents worth.
The following 2 users liked this post by DRGibbons:
babouts (10-03-22), raider888 (06-13-22)
Old 06-13-22, 10:07 AM
TripFarmer
Driver

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
Incorrect - You should not increase your service (oil change) interval if you use synthetic.

I'm re-posting this that I posted on this Forum in June of 2018 for reference - - - - -

I've been involved with the automotive oil industry and heard more half baked experts and truths than I can shake a stick at. The fact is, synthetic oil outperforms even a high quality standard oil for engines such as the one in our LC - no question - dare I say ALL engines. Only a few Mazda rotary engines are better served by standard oils for reasons I won't get into here.

Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous: Better low and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes. Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. Conventional oils break down and begin offering poor performance much more quickly than synthetic oils. This means they offer poorer overall engine protection, and can lower the lifespan of your engine. Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.

That being said, it is NOT recommended to extend the oil change interval from the Lexus recommended interval. Oil changes are not only intended to refresh the oil, but to also remove any impurities such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid that are byproducts of the combustion process that cannot be removed with filters alone.

Don't get me wrong, high quality standard oils can be very good as well. Just not AS good as synthetic. For the small amount of cost increase to use a synthetic oil, the extra security is well worth it in my opinion. Ask for synthetic specifically when you get you oil changed.

I always get a laugh at people that will spend thousands of dollars to prevent a rock chip in their paint but balk at the comparatively minuscule cost increase for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Skip a couple Starbucks each month and go for the good stuff.

My 2 cents worth.

Actually I am not wrong. What I said is exactly what Lexus says. Do your research.
JSM701 (06-14-22)
Old 06-13-22, 10:16 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Originally Posted by TripFarmer
Actually I am not wrong. What I said is exactly what Lexus says. Do your research.
Might I ask for you to cite your source? I'm interested (seriously) in reading the basis for their recommending extending the engine oil change interval for synthetic oil.

Thank you.
Old 06-13-22, 11:40 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by JSM701
The manual also does not mention using synthetic oil, it states to use Toyota Genuine Motor Oil which was used at the factory ,a conv oil.I was told by several Lexus dealerships that Lexus recommends conv oil.You can use the oil you prefer, I was just saying what oil I will use.
I'm sorry, but IMO, you are interrupting it wrong. It states:
Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Lexus vehicle. Use Lexus approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
There is an OR in their recommendation. Believe what you wish, but in my mind newer technology is better. Just a question here - Where have you heard that synthetic oil may be detrimental for an ICE?

This will be my last post to this thread. Arguing this issue is simply a waste of my time.
DRGibbons (06-13-22)

Quick Reply: Oil