LC Model (2018-present)
View Poll Results: What kind of engine oil are you running in your LC 500?
Conventional
30.30%
Synthetic
69.70%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 06:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

^^^ post of the day

100% agreed on all points... car is not being driven like a formula 1 race car.

i've only had 1 oil change so far (free, at dealer, and they put in synthetic ) so haven't had a need to change it on my own yet. but i likely will when it comes time (after next change). i've done it on some of my other vehicles.

how hard do you find changing the oil on the LC?

i've used a fumoto drain plug/valve on other cars because it makes draining the oil so much easier and not messy. recommended.
Old 10-07-22, 08:11 PM
SunCruzin
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

What I find a little confusing about this discussion, is that the badge under the hood only says 5W30, and nowhere in the manual does it say, you need to use conventional oil.
I believe, the manual would state that only conventional oil should be utilized if it was a mandatory requirement. It does say, that the oil that is being placed into the engine, needs to be a certain weight as well as meeting certain quality specifications. Whether the oil is synthetic or conventional as long as it meets or surpasses the denoted requirements, either really should be fine. Further, as I posted awhile ago, a master technician at Lexus advised me that one could absolutely use synthetic oil in an LC. I feel, it is a personal preference. I use synthetic in my LC, and believe it is the best way to go for protecting the engine and that offers me a little bit more peace of mind.
The following users liked this post:
DRGibbons (10-08-22)
Old 10-08-22, 07:13 AM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 249 Posts

Thanks Riot. good insight.
RiotGrip (10-10-22)
Old 10-08-22, 09:18 AM
Veight
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

The point is that Lexus service recommends conventional and the new car comes with conventional. No one said the label in the engine bay says conventional oil required.

I may convert to synthetic after I hit 10,000 miles.

The other issue is that if you look at the You Tube video, is you don’t know what oil the Lexus dealer actually uses. They buy the cheapest bulk oil possible and self oil changes is the only way of actually knowing what brand of oil you get. Regardless of the conventional/synthetic issue.

i think the oil brand is actually a bigger issue than if the oil is synthetic or not. With a dealer you don’t know what you are getting.
When I had my BMW 550 and my BMW dealer was changing the oil I am certain they were not changing the filter for several changes. When I went to do my first self oil change the filter was extremely dirty and crushed from over use. Can’t prove it but I’m certain they skipped changing my filter and this was a high end BMW dealer.

I hate letting anyone mess with my car unless I’m watching.

Last edited by Veight; 10-08-22 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-08-22, 09:47 AM
SunCruzin
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Veight
The point is that Lexus service recommends conventional and the new car comes with conventional. No one said the label in the engine bay says conventional oil required.

I may convert to synthetic after I hit 10,000 miles.

The other issue is that if you look at the You Tube video, is you don’t know what oil the Lexus dealer actually uses. They buy the cheapest bulk oil possible and self oil changes is the only way of actually knowing what brand of oil you get. Regardless of the conventional/synthetic issue.

i think the oil brand is actually a bigger issue that if the oil is synthetic or not. With a dealer you don’t know what you are getting.
This discussion seems to be centered around whether synthetic or conventional oil is better, and which is the best to go inside our LCs engines. The service department initially said that I needed to put conventional in at my first oil change, and when pressed on it, they reversed their information.
A number of people who posted here were convinced that we absolutely needed to use conventional, and this was a big part of this particular thread's discussion. I may have missed this somewhere within the posts, but how do we know that the engine comes from the factory with conventional?
Old 10-08-22, 12:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

^^^^Because the Owners Manual says it does. See my post #30 or read the first sentence below:

Hard to believe that this thread is almost one year old thread is still being discussed

And to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion I do not use 5W30 I use 10W30 - Why you ask Well because I've been around a long time, done a lot of reading and still do some minor maintenance on my vehicles. 5W30 is an oil made to run thin at startup, the 5W label. 5 meaning the oil weight at startup and the W meaning winter. The oil thickens up as it warms up to become a 30 weight oil. Since I live in a temperate climate and never experience temperatures near freezing I don't want or need such a thin oil at startup. That's my thinking process and I've used it with success for the last 50 years since moving from the NE to the SW.
Old 10-08-22, 01:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Does anyone know what kind of TGMO the LC is filled with at the factory? TGMO is available in both mineral and synthetic

the oil grade referenced above in the manual seems to have a lot of synthetics

https://pqia.org/2020/10/21/motor-oi...etail-shelves/

I wonder if blackstone or a similar service can tell from their testing, I know they ask you if it is when you send it in so guessing they don’t with their standard testing
Old 10-08-22, 02:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^From what I see at the "Toyota Parts Center Online"

https://parts.toyota.com/go/Genuine-...ce-Fluids.html

TGMO Synthetic only come in 0W-20. Dino comes in 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40.

Old 10-08-22, 02:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^Because the Owners Manual says it does. See my post #30 or read the first sentence below:

and as you pointed out in post #30, a key part of the above is "or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity." so toyota is definitely not saying don't use synthetic regardless of what we put in it.

Hard to believe that this thread is almost one year old thread is still being discussed
it's oil... always a subject of heated debate.

And to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion I do not use 5W30 I use 10W30 - Why you ask Well because I've been around a long time, done a lot of reading and still do some minor maintenance on my vehicles. 5W30 is an oil made to run thin at startup, the 5W label. 5 meaning the oil weight at startup and the W meaning winter. The oil thickens up as it warms up to become a 30 weight oil. Since I live in a temperate climate and never experience temperatures near freezing I don't want or need such a thin oil at startup. That's my thinking process and I've used it with success for the last 50 years since moving from the NE to the SW.
interesting. i'll stick to toyota's viscosity recommendation.

as riotgrip said, these cars are hardly taxed so i'm sure there's lots of 'right' or ok answers.

RiotGrip (10-10-22)
Old 10-09-22, 11:35 AM
Veight
Pit Crew

I will ALWAYS use 5w-30.
bitkahuna (10-09-22)
Old 10-09-22, 03:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^So would I if I lived in Illinois
Old 10-09-22, 04:14 PM
Veight
Pit Crew

Is Lexus recommending different viscosity oils depending on climate? All I saw was that 10w-30 could be used if that’s all that was available but needed to be replaced at the next service. Looks like Lexus recommends 5w-30 for all climates. Synthetic vs Conventional is one thing, but changing viscosity is a whole lot more significant in my view.

DRGibbons (10-09-22)
Old 10-09-22, 05:00 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Reading this thread because I was perusing the LC forum and I was surprised to read in this thread that Lexus lowered the sump capacity for the LC500 to 9.1 qts 🤔.....why do you guys think they did this compared to the ISF @ 9.8 qts? Don't know for sure if the RCF/GSF/IS500 take 9.8 or 9.1 qts?
Old 10-09-22, 07:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^The ISF has an oil cooler the LC does not

Originally Posted by Veight
Is Lexus recommending different viscosity oils depending on climate?
Please read my answer - I never said my decision was based on Lexus recommendation

Last edited by flowrider; 10-09-22 at 07:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
MileHIFcar (10-10-22), RiotGrip (10-10-22)
Old 10-09-22, 09:59 PM
Veight
Pit Crew

I wonder if putting a non recommended oil viscosity in an LC would void the warranty ?

Quick Reply: Oil