LC Model (2018-present)
View Poll Results: What kind of engine oil are you running in your LC 500?
Conventional
30.30%
Synthetic
69.70%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-22, 10:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^^^Doesn't really matter to me My LC is FBO.

Last edited by flowrider; 10-09-22 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-10-22, 05:20 AM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fodalo
So what do touch pads have to do with oil? Knowing whats best for an engine with millions of test miles??? LOL!
Because you stated "they know best". Well, the folks/engineers/whatever don't always know best. We all know the stupid touch pad has come to their attention 4 years ago and still done nothing about it. So, "they" are not always right, and when they are wrong, they dig in and won't change. I just wonder if that is going on with the oil as well.
Old 10-10-22, 06:22 AM
Veight
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Why wouldn’t the LC have an oil cooler when the same engine in the IS-F does?
Old 10-10-22, 07:37 AM
RiotGrip
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ post of the day

100% agreed on all points... car is not being driven like a formula 1 race car.

i've only had 1 oil change so far (free, at dealer, and they put in synthetic ) so haven't had a need to change it on my own yet. but i likely will when it comes time (after next change). i've done it on some of my other vehicles.

how hard do you find changing the oil on the LC?

i've used a fumoto drain plug/valve on other cars because it makes draining the oil so much easier and not messy. recommended.
Thanks, Oil change is easy with the right tools. I'd highly recommend using ramps, the catch is you need special ramps for low ground clearance vehicles, jacking up the car is very difficult with a normal jack--you likely would need a long body jack to jack the front. I use a fumoto valve as well and it makes things easy, I was able to use the same filter wrench from my IS-f on my LC. "Race Ramps" is the brand of ramps I purchased for the job, would likely work with most front engine sports cars.

Originally Posted by SunCruzin
What I find a little confusing about this discussion, is that the badge under the hood only says 5W30, and nowhere in the manual does it say, you need to use conventional oil.
I believe, the manual would state that only conventional oil should be utilized if it was a mandatory requirement. It does say, that the oil that is being placed into the engine, needs to be a certain weight as well as meeting certain quality specifications. Whether the oil is synthetic or conventional as long as it meets or surpasses the denoted requirements, either really should be fine. Further, as I posted awhile ago, a master technician at Lexus advised me that one could absolutely use synthetic oil in an LC. I feel, it is a personal preference. I use synthetic in my LC, and believe it is the best way to go for protecting the engine and that offers me a little bit more peace of mind.
The only cars you need to use conventional oil on is a mazda rotary engine. Otherwise synthetic is fine. As long as you meet the API/ILSAC recommendations all is well

Originally Posted by Veight
The point is that Lexus service recommends conventional and the new car comes with conventional. No one said the label in the engine bay says conventional oil required.

I may convert to synthetic after I hit 10,000 miles.

The other issue is that if you look at the You Tube video, is you don’t know what oil the Lexus dealer actually uses. They buy the cheapest bulk oil possible and self oil changes is the only way of actually knowing what brand of oil you get. Regardless of the conventional/synthetic issue.

i think the oil brand is actually a bigger issue than if the oil is synthetic or not. With a dealer you don’t know what you are getting.
When I had my BMW 550 and my BMW dealer was changing the oil I am certain they were not changing the filter for several changes. When I went to do my first self oil change the filter was extremely dirty and crushed from over use. Can’t prove it but I’m certain they skipped changing my filter and this was a high end BMW dealer.

I hate letting anyone mess with my car unless I’m watching.
Lexus likely makes this recommendation because the only 5w-30 they stock is conventional. If they have a synthetic 5w-30 they would likely charge you out the wazoo for it. I agree with you on letting people mess with the car. I know we own a "luxury" brand, but typically the guy changing oil is often the lowest skilled person working in service. As I stated, I do my own oil and filter changes.

Originally Posted by SunCruzin
This discussion seems to be centered around whether synthetic or conventional oil is better, and which is the best to go inside our LCs engines. The service department initially said that I needed to put conventional in at my first oil change, and when pressed on it, they reversed their information.
A number of people who posted here were convinced that we absolutely needed to use conventional, and this was a big part of this particular thread's discussion. I may have missed this somewhere within the posts, but how do we know that the engine comes from the factory with conventional?
The manual states "Genuine Toyota motor oil" is used, so I do believe it comes with conventional oil from the factory since all Genuine toyota oil is conventional except the 0w-20. As I said, I think for most LC500 drivers who follow a 5000 mile oil change interval, it will make no difference if you use either conventional or synthetic. From my own standpoint as a DIY oil changer, the cost difference is about $5 extra for synthetic if you use the 5qt jug, my guess is it would be $30-50 if paying a dealer or a mechanic to do it.

Is Lexus recommending different viscosity oils depending on climate? All I saw was that 10w-30 could be used if that’s all that was available but needed to be replaced at the next service. Looks like Lexus recommends 5w-30 for all climates. Synthetic vs Conventional is one thing, but changing viscosity is a whole lot more significant in my view.

Yep 10w-30 in a pinch only. I would only use 5w-30. One could make an argument based on oil quality 15-20 years ago that 10w-30 would be better in some situations, but the new SP GF-6 oils are pretty shear stable--especially over 5000 miles. My lexus spends 90+% of it's time at 2K rpm or lower, the thinner oil at startup will be more important for protection. Anything can appropriately protect at low rpms.

I wonder if putting a non recommended oil viscosity in an LC would void the warranty ?
No, it wouldn't. But I wouldn't stray from the manual
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (10-10-22)
Old 10-10-22, 12:11 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^The ISF has an oil cooler the LC does not
Interesting....has anybody had any issues with overheating their oil because of a lack of a oil cooler on the LC500?
Old 10-10-22, 01:04 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 249 Posts

RJ you sound intelligent, you may want to write the factory.
Old 10-11-22, 04:37 AM
MLMLC52K18
Advanced

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I know that I am a lil late to the discussion…But my most important take-aways are that:

****Some Dealers just can’t be trusted to provide all the services you pay em for.

****You really don’t know what kinda oil they’re putting into your car.

****If you want 'oil change' done Right, best to do it yourself.
The following users liked this post:
RiotGrip (10-11-22)
Old 10-17-22, 12:06 PM
fodalo
Instructor

I have the same mechanic everytime I have had the car serviced ( per my request) and he has come out to talk with me a few times. 23 yrs at the ship and he is reliable and top notch oer the lexus team. $83.00, conventional oil change 2wks ago. Get to know those u incorporate to do your work.
Old 10-18-22, 03:58 PM
Markinct
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Low mileage use

I drive my LC in summer only for a total of 3,000 miles per year. Would you still use the 5,000 mileage interval for oil changes or simply change the oil once per year at the beginning of each summer season, regardless of mileage.
Old 10-18-22, 05:22 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Markinct
I drive my LC in summer only for a total of 3,000 miles per year. Would you still use the 5,000 mileage interval for oil changes or simply change the oil once per year at the beginning of each summer season, regardless of mileage.
I recommend adhering to an oil change every 5,000 miles or yearly.
Old 10-18-22, 06:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Whichever comes first
Old 10-18-22, 06:37 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^Whichever comes first
. . . . . of course - Captain Obvious !
Old 10-18-22, 07:16 PM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fodalo
RJ you sound intelligent, you may want to write the factory.
You sound like an uneducated moron, you might want to sign up for GED classes.
Old 10-18-22, 08:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
. . . . . of course - Captain Obvious !
Hmm - You didn't state:

Old 10-19-22, 02:07 PM
fodalo
Instructor

RJ thanks for your reply. I would think that an educated man like yourself would come up with some better verbage to describe someone you've never met. I will be praying for you in the hopes that your choices in the future will be a little more encouraging.

Quick Reply: Oil