LC Model (2018-present)

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 08:32 AM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 249 Posts

280.00 reasonable to me azmo, and piece of mind with warranties up the road.
Old 04-23-24, 07:06 AM
FLBill
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I finally needed to replace the factory battery. Was looking at the Optima Yellow Top but decided on the Antigravity battery instead. I paid $825.29 for a 60 amp hour version, ($809.99 for the battery + $15.39 for shipping). The out the door price for the Optima (from my local auto zone) would have been $391.44, so the Antigravity was roughly twice the price. The Antigravity has newer technology (lithium ion battery), strong cranking amps, 1800 CCA (this results in a much quicker start), provides imbedded re-start feature (an emergency jump starting capability, at a touch of the button on the battery or by the provided key fob) and lastly, it provides weight savings, which is substantial. The OEM battery weighs 44.3 lbs versus the Antigravity battery, which weighs 20.8 lbs. Given these features, I opted to take a chance on the Antigravity. So far I’m very happy and am looking forward to many years of battery performance. Here are pictures of the OEM and new battery. The install process was straight forward with no complications.

Last edited by FLBill; 04-23-24 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2959 (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 08:03 AM
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

20lbs is a huge difference, if for no other reason so you don't bust your back trying to get it installed.
Old 04-23-24, 08:23 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Too many Lithium ion batterys catch fire.
Is there a $100,000 warranty if this 1 does?
Bruce in Fl MakeThat500kIfItBurnsMyHouseDownToo
Old 04-23-24, 08:27 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2959
20lbs is a huge difference, if for no other reason so you don't bust your back trying to get it installed.
Yep pay twice as much to make really no performance difference And mess up the weight and balance the battery is in the trunk for to start with.
Yeah, I'll pass.
Bruce in Fl NotPayingDoubleToFixWhatIsntBroke
​​​​
Old 04-23-24, 10:47 AM
FLBill
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Although there is no way to eliminate a fire potential 100%, per a Ferrari Forum I just searched, a member provided the following: “Antigravity uses LiFePO4 batteries which are known for their high level of safety compared to other lithium-ion battery chemistries. They have a lower risk of overheating and catching fire due to their more stable cathode material and lower operating temperature. We have also mentioned this in our best LiFePO4 battery list. In addition, LiFePO4 batteries have a built-in protection circuit that prevents overcharge, over-discharge, and short-circuit. This is called a BMS.”

Lithium ion batteries are expected to outlast a lead based acid battery (Antigravity has a full replacement for the first 3 years and pro-rated through year 5). I have an Optima yellow top battery installed in my 07 Honda Accord Sedan. I’ve had it for a couple of years now. I’ll see how long it last as it only has a 3 year full replacement warranty, nothing beyond that. Bruce knows as well as I how brutal the Florida heat and climate are on batteries. No complaints on my OEM however, as I have had it since Nov. 2018 and I was the second owner. Not quite sure the actual build date and nor the date of the initial sale.

I have to admit, it’s a hefty initial investment, but my LC is worth it. It’s been paid for since December 2022, so the Antigravity’s initial cost was very reasonable as compared to my prior monthly payments.

Last edited by FLBill; 04-23-24 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-23-24, 11:49 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

I see the AGs are "built" in Cali but aren't 80% of the base Li cells still made in China?
I am familiar with the Chinese complete and total lack of any and all business honesty. They do not know what the terms mean. I know this from 1st and 2nd hand experience. I've heard all about the fail safe protections built into Chinese built Li powered vapes that indeed caught on fire sitting by themselves on my bedside table at night.
I've NEVER Heard of any lead or acid matte battery Starting any fire.
As much info as they is about self combusting Li batteries, IF AG is SO damn convinced Any combustion is totally avoidable they shouldn't have Any Problem convincing an insurance company of the same and allowing them to issue Massive $ fire warranties with their batteries.
Again, there is NO problem with older tech car batteries that AG wants us to believe they are fixing with Any Additional risk unless you are maybe driving a must save a few ounces race car.
Bruce in Fl LiterallyBurnMeOnceShameOnYouBurnMeTwice...

Old 04-24-24, 08:10 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 632 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
Yeah, I'm shocked the OEM battery from 2019 is still working in my LC in Phoenix where the heat kills them. Of course my car doesn't sit in the sun much though. But just in case it helps anyone, the battery is covered under the standard warranty if it should fail in that time and my service manager says you can usually get a year of grace period if under miles.
I don't think I have ever gotten more than 4 years out of a battery here in Phoenix.

I might just simply replace my battery next January when my car turns 4 years old at the dealer.

Heat is a massive killer of batteries here in AZ...

From my local Lexus dealer's website:

Last edited by 355F1; 04-24-24 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-24-24, 11:13 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^^^I have - with AGM batteries. When I sold my ISF in 2019, it had a five year old battery still going strong. My last Silverado had an AGM battery that was seven years old when I finally replaced it. I replaced it, not because it was causing problems, but only because of age.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
StuM (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 01:16 PM
antidentit
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

I just replaced my battery with one from the dealer, which I usually stay away from. But they have a decent warranty and the price wasn't too bad, so I'm going to stick with it for another few years until it does then replace it with an AGM or more advanced battery, since by that time the technology should be more advanced.

Question: when you replace the battery do you have to reset the electronics (beyond just time, settings, etc)? I've owned European vehicles where replacing the battery was a bit more involved than just switching it out?
Old 04-24-24, 01:21 PM
StuM
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I have - with AGM batteries. When I sold my ISF in 2019, it had a five year old battery still going strong. My last Silverado had an AGM battery that was seven years old when I finally replaced it. I replaced it, not because it was causing problems, but only because of age.

Lou
I too swear by AGM batteries. A very solid middle ground. They seem to last, retain charge and don’t cause the potential issues of an Li battery. I had nothing but charge retention issues with Li batteries in my Porsches. Constantly had to use a trickle charger. I have no such issues with my AGM batteries. AGM’s are cheaper to begin with too.
Old 04-29-24, 07:20 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
I don't think I have ever gotten more than 4 years out of a battery here in Phoenix.

I might just simply replace my battery next January when my car turns 4 years old at the dealer.

Heat is a massive killer of batteries here in AZ...

From my local Lexus dealer's website:

Yeah, that's the warranty which is pretty good. Makes it hard not to get a dealer battery.
Old 04-29-24, 08:09 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Once a battery hits 4 years for me, every annual service it gets a LOAD battery test too. While the LC was starting perfectly normally, it failed it's last load test at the dealer. With my extended warranty, I'd rather have the dealer put the batterty in than Billie Joebob at Advance Auto.
Bruce in Fl
Old 04-29-24, 10:02 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^^^Billie Joebob not for me either - I install my vehicle batteries myself

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
BruceinFla (04-29-24), LS460SC430 (04-29-24)
Old 04-29-24, 05:41 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Billie Joebob not for me either - I install my vehicle batteries myself

Lou
Some of us are blessed with mechanical apptitude.

Tools run in fear from me.
Bruce in Fla TheOneRedeemingToolSkillIHaveIsToKnowIfITouchOneMoreThing...

Quick Reply: Battery