LC Model (2018-present)

Rocking / moving driver’s seat.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 01:15 PM
FlyTvr
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rocking / moving driver’s seat.

My seat moves, rocks forwards and backwards under initial acceleration and deceleration. The garage I purchased the car from have removed the seat and confirmed that the seat is moving on the runners. This is not a simple case of the seat not being properly bolted to the floor.

The garage is still inspecting the seat, but I’ve got a horrible feeling that the only solution will be a new seat. I had a similar problem on an IS-F.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? How much is a new LC500 seat going to be? I suspect BIG BUCKS (pounds sterling )
Old 08-02-22, 01:56 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 626 Likes on 332 Posts

i thought the UK LEXUS had that program where if you take it in to the dealer, they'll extend your warranty for another year. Maybe take it to the dealer for an oil change, and then see if you can get them to warranty the seat while they are doing the oil change?
Old 08-02-22, 02:31 PM
FlyTvr
Driver

Originally Posted by Badhobz
i thought the UK LEXUS had that program where if you take it in to the dealer, they'll extend your warranty for another year. Maybe take it to the dealer for an oil change, and then see if you can get them to warranty the seat while they are doing the oil change?
That is correct. With every Lexus service comes a 1 year's waranty (upto 100,000 miles or 10 years). However, when I had a similar problem on an IS-F, Lexus UK refused to sort it out and said it was 'wear and tear'.

I only bought the car a couple of weeks ago, and reported the issue immediately. I'm waiting to see what the dealer says......
Old 08-02-22, 06:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

FlyTvr - how much do you weigh?
Old 08-02-22, 11:18 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyTvr
That is correct. With every Lexus service comes a 1 year's waranty (upto 100,000 miles or 10 years). However, when I had a similar problem on an IS-F, Lexus UK refused to sort it out and said it was 'wear and tear'.

I only bought the car a couple of weeks ago, and reported the issue immediately. I'm waiting to see what the dealer says......
I'd be most interested to see how you get on with the dealer and the extended warranty. At the moment I'm not seeing any reports good or bad so I'm still not sure whether the "Relax" scheme is a PR exercise or a genuine and worthy warranty extension. Curiously an app I have on my phone currently suggests 97.37% LC's pass their MOT which is encouraging and if I'm not mistaken seat fixings are part of that test albeit I suspect via a cursory examination. It could of course be that the 2.63% fail on seat security but I doubt it
Sounds to me as if it is more likely the electric mechanism that is going wayward.
Please keep us posted.
Old 08-02-22, 11:20 PM
FlyTvr
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
FlyTvr - how much do you weigh?
6' 2" and 190 lbs
Old 08-03-22, 04:31 AM
FlyTvr
Driver

Always think it is important to provide an update, so here goes -The garage has acknowledged the seat is defected. It cannot be repaired. The only option is a new seat base.

Fortunately, the garage has agreed to cover the cost. £2-£2,500 ($2.5 - $3k).

I’ve done some research, and this seems to be a common issue with many Toyota seats ☹ Just hope nobody else gets this issue.
The following users liked this post:
Badhobz (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 05:21 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Always think it is important to provide an update, so here goes -The garage has acknowledged the seat is defected. It cannot be repaired. The only option is a new seat base.

Fortunately, the garage has agreed to cover the cost. £2-£2,500 ($2.5 - $3k).

I’ve done some research, and this seems to be a common issue with many Toyota seats ☹ Just hope nobody else gets this issue.
Phew, big bill for a seat base! Did they cover the cost under the "Relax" warranty scheme, or as a good will gesture?
Old 08-03-22, 05:49 AM
FlyTvr
Driver

Originally Posted by Brinylon
Phew, big bill for a seat base! Did they cover the cost under the "Relax" warranty scheme, or as a good will gesture?
Good will - but not Lexus dealer I will add.
Old 08-03-22, 06:23 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Good result, and especially given it was through a non Lexus dealer. I suppose if they hadn't played ball, then you could have fallen back on the "Relax" scheme but we still don't know if that would have paid out.
Regardless, well done!
FlyTvr (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 09:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Good will - but not Lexus dealer I will add.
i don't get it, why would they cover it since it's not their fault?
Old 08-03-22, 10:04 AM
FlyTvr
Driver

UK consumer rights.
Old 08-03-22, 10:43 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

In the UK, the contract is with the seller/supplier/the person you paid monies to, and not necessarily the manufacturer. Makes life a lot easier than being shoved from pillar to post with him saying it's them that you need to speak with. Generally, our consumer laws work very well.

Last edited by Brinylon; 08-03-22 at 10:47 AM.
FlyTvr (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

oh so FlyTvr bought the LC from this garage with some kind of warranty? (to us a garage is where you store your car ).
Old 08-03-22, 02:12 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

oh so FlyTvr bought the LC from this garage with some kind of warranty? (to us a garage is where you store your car ).
Yes, the "garage" in this instance is a dealer and from what I can make out not Lexus. A goodly number of these cars have dropped out of the Lexus network and are now being sold/bought from independent "garages". A garage or official dealer is duty bound to offer as a minimum a 3 months warranty and I would guess on a car of this calibre/value then probably a much longer obligation or indeed a third party warranty.
Got to say if the garage is prepared to suck up a £2k bill then they sound honourable, but in fairness the consumer law would probably have protected FlyTvr and in effect forced them to fix the problem. If all else failed, then the Lexus Relax warranty would likely have saved the day. You can still find buying a used car a potential headache when something goes wrong, but the situation is much better than it used to be. In fairness, those businesses that sell cars have cleaned up their acts big time, and largely because of the consumer laws we now have.
Just to add, we also put our cars into our personal garages so I guess the word is multi purpose.
Anyway, all's well that ends well, but I don't know about you, but I would have though a seat failure is something of a rarity.

Quick Reply: Rocking / moving driver’s seat.