fodalo
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 250 Posts

I agree 74S as did I, they know best.
Old 12-26-23, 03:48 PM
DebsRide
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Connected trickle charger plug cable under the fuse box cover(see red wire photo #1, right-hand side). I didn't have drill any holes. The 12v cable to the trickle charger runs to the front of the engine bay and comes out next to rubber seal. So no pinching of any wires. The only difficult part is to get the plastic connector housing piece apart. There are 6 tabs that have to be pressed in to do it. Start at the front and work your way back. The whole process took 15 minutes.

under the hood
Old 12-27-23, 03:16 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DebsRide
Connected trickle charger plug cable under the fuse box cover(see red wire photo #1, right-hand side). I didn't have drill any holes. The 12v cable to the trickle charger runs to the front of the engine bay and comes out next to rubber seal. So no pinching of any wires. The only difficult part is to get the plastic connector housing piece apart. There are 6 tabs that have to be pressed in to do it. Start at the front and work your way back. The whole process took 15 minutes.

under the hood
Yes! This is exactly what was trying to do! Did you attempt to route that wire around the fender and below the engine for easy access without opening the hood at all? I haven't removed all the tabs to see how it can be routed, but this is what I am going to do for my LC this weekend. I've already ordered an extra ring connector for CTEK and also ordered the CTEK extension cable. need get under the car and tuck the connector somewhere behind / inside the bumper cover and make it stay there with velcro tapes. Exact setup on my preious M4 and my current Porsche. My SUV and the diesel truck also have this setup. BEST way to go if you take the time to get the install out of the way.

Thanks for confirming and the pics!!
Old 12-27-23, 05:43 AM
DebsRide
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No, I did not route the charging cable to the outside of the car. I won't be hooking up the charger that often. It would be very easy to do. Getting the plastic cover apart at the fuse box entry spot is the only challenging part, the rest is very easy.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (12-27-23)
Old 12-28-23, 01:43 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DebsRide

under the hood
Your method worked perfectly! I've got the CTEK multi - 7002 unit charging the car now. I tried to route the wires below the vehicle but the under-car panels are completely covered the bottom without any accessible holes that I can see... I need to put this up on on the lift this week and remove the bottom panel to see if it would make sense to route it down, or just leave the plug velcro-ed onto the shock towers.

Based on your pic of how the positive was routed out of the fuse box, it seems Lexus has updated the box on the 24 models. There are no accessible cracks anywhere. But I was able to close the fuse box cover without any issues. So all good. Thanks for being the first on here to do this. Car is charging fine and the ring terminals are permenantly installed to the front where it should be safer (according to Lexus).

I have to re-shuffle the cars tomorrow to do a swap on my porsche mid-pipe. When all done, I'll put the LC on the lift to see if there is a way to route the plug to the bottom / front of the car and tuck it behind the bumper cover.

Thanks!

** Update **

All tucked in via 2 velcro attachment points and some zip ties. No rattle. If I can't feasibly route the connector to the bottom of the vehicle under the bumper cover, then this is the way it'll stay. The hood closes fine through the front without any issues so this may work out as a plan B.

Last edited by asong1; 12-28-23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-23-24, 08:04 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCrazy
I use the CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger.

I have fastened the Comfort Connect eyelet cable directly to the positive and negative battery cable bolts.
Battery is in the trunk.

The eyelet cable is attached to the battery charger cable using the “Comfort Connect” fittings.

When not in use, the eyelet cable remains under the trunk floor panels.

The charger cable passes over the weather stripping and the trunk is fully closed. The cable does not damage the weather stripping.

Pic below of charger showing battery is ready. This is 30 minutes after charger is connected.

The charger rests on the garage floor.

Pic below of charger showing battery is fully charged. This is 5 hours after charger is connected.

Car is away/hibernating until spring (late April-May).

Which eyelet did you install first? Red then black or black then red? I have never done any battery stuff, so please advise me
Old 04-23-24, 08:22 PM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Which eyelet did you install first? Red then black or black then red? I have never done any battery stuff, so please advise me
Positive/red first; negative/black second.
JSM701 (04-25-24)
Old 04-24-24, 12:52 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I can't see how it would matter 1 iotta.
As long as the battery pig tail wasn't connected to the powered up charger while you were connecting it to the battery.
And then why in the world would you do That?
Bruce in Fl
​​​​​​
Old 04-24-24, 11:03 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^^It matters. Connecting the negative first could create a shorting hazard. Connecting the positive first is just safer.

Lou
TTBomB (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 03:40 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Certain people should not post if they don't know what they are talking about.
Yes it makes a difference...
When disconnecting a battery, you always remove the negative terminal first.
When installing you connect the negative terminal last.
JSM701 (04-25-24)
Old 04-24-24, 04:01 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTBomB
Certain people should not post if they don't know what they are talking about.
Then I'm very sure many here are happy YOU aren't able to vote Yourself in as Accuracy ****.
I can't even imagine a rational person typing such a thing.
The whole essence of ALL net forums is people Not knowing things .
Bruce in Fl PeopleWhoWantToForceTheirBSOnOthersSuck
Old 04-24-24, 05:09 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^It matters. Connecting the negative first could create a shorting hazard. Connecting the positive first is just safer.

Lou
I still disagree. I think you are missing a critical point.
Hooking two cars together to jump or hooking up A Powered Up charger certainly Would constitute another circuit(s) which cettainly Could spark at one end.
A pig tail, disconnected, by itself is Not Any Kind of a circuit that By Itself, would spark. You are only extending a wire that is already there.
Let me illustrate another way. Say you have your car battery sitting there. And you say, I want to wrap these wires around both terminals to make a longer connection. Your SO is watching this. You wrap the new longer wire around the Negative terminal and You Hand That Wire To Your SO. NOW you wrap the new longer wire around the Positive terminal. You are still holding that wrapped longer wire.
You are telling me that wrapping that new longer wire to the Positive terminal could produce a spark. I say it can't, there is No Complete Circuit.

The pigtail connected to NOTHING but battery terminals IS NOT Any Kind of a spark producting completed circuit.
If I'm wrong, please show me how.
Bruce in Fl

Last edited by BruceinFla; 04-24-24 at 05:13 PM.