Spotting on my Xpel PPF

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 09:46 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Spotting on my Xpel PPF

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd post this over here since the PPF is installed on my LC. Wanted to get some different insights from others and see if anyone else has experienced this as well. The original installed thinks it's a chemical burn, but I honestly doubt it since I've never used any different product in the past 4 years (with no issues) than Chemical Guys soaps and sealants (Chemical Guys V07).

I'd love to get some of your feedback please - don't want to spend another $1,000+ on this....

Thanks!

Old 01-23-23, 12:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

hm... i'm no detail epxert, but i'm guessing that's some residue that can be fixed and isn't a chemical burn.
Old 01-23-23, 05:56 PM
Ephilyaw
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 56 Posts

Any chance of acid rain? Those spots look like a pattern. Not something from a wash but a spray or drop. Another guys would be overspray from a chemical plant near by. My wife had an Sequoia that got chemical crap on it one time from an overspray of a plant that was 5 miles away from her work.
Old 01-23-23, 07:24 PM
Metal1
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks like a residue stain from hard water.

What kind of exposure to the elements has the PPF been exposed to?

Rain, hard water, sprinklers?
Old 01-23-23, 08:25 PM
SunCruzin
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

I am sorry to see you are experiencing this issue. I as well had my LC fully wrapped with Xpel film, and ceramic coated, after I took delivery in December 2021.
I too, have been using the same Chemical Guys products that you are using, (Honeydew Snow Foam and the Hydrospeed Ceramic Detailer) and so far, have not had any issues or spotting that I can discern. The only issue I find with the detailer, is that it requires a fair amount of wiping/buffing to get a homogenous appearance but once smoothed it gives an amazing glossy pop.
I do not spray it on the car and wash it off again though. I use it in between washings to detail the car and remove light surface contaminants.
When I bring her out of storage to drive again after the winter, I will be going over the film with a fine tooth comb.

Last edited by SunCruzin; 01-23-23 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 05:32 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hm... i'm no detail epxert, but i'm guessing that's some residue that can be fixed and isn't a chemical burn.
I also don't think it's a chemical burn. Someone else on my YouTube video asked if I felt any bumps on the spots - and I believe there are slight bumps on them...not sure what that could mean, but it could mean that it's not salvagable....

Originally Posted by Ephilyaw
Any chance of acid rain? Those spots look like a pattern. Not something from a wash but a spray or drop. Another guys would be overspray from a chemical plant near by. My wife had an Sequoia that got chemical crap on it one time from an overspray of a plant that was 5 miles away from her work.
No acid rain - the car has seen rain only 4 times in its lifetime, and it hasn't been recently. Could've come from potential brake dust behind another vehicle or maybe other contaminants. All I can say, is that the body of the vehicle that doesn't have PPF doesn't have any of that....

Originally Posted by Metal1
Looks like a residue stain from hard water.

What kind of exposure to the elements has the PPF been exposed to?

Rain, hard water, sprinklers?
No hard water - I wash her and dry her myself. No sprinklers, as I'm attentive of where I park the car (so never near lawn in case of random sprinklers popping out).

Originally Posted by SunCruzin
I am sorry to see you are experiencing this issue. I as well had my LC fully wrapped with Xpel film, and ceramic coated, after I took delivery in December 2021.
I too, have been using the same Chemical Guys products that you are using, (Honeydew Snow Foam and the Hydrospeed Ceramic Detailer) and so far, have not had any issues or spotting that I can discern. The only issue I find with the detailer, is that it requires a fair amount of wiping/buffing to get a homogenous appearance but once smoothed it gives an amazing glossy pop.
I do not spray it on the car and wash it off again though. I use it in between washings to detail the car and remove light surface contaminants.
When I bring her out of storage to drive again after the winter, I will be going over the film with a fine tooth comb.
That's good to know that you use all the same products, including the Hydrospeed - since that was the only new product that I used. I'll keep trying all options, including pro detailer with a buffer. I also had other people recommend CarPro IronX and Spotless 2.0. Those are other products I will try in small areas as well.
Old 01-24-23, 06:23 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Won't the installer warranty this?
Old 01-24-23, 08:10 AM
Metal1
Pit Crew

If it is a residue I would try a little white vinegar and a cotton ball to see if it removes it.

Vinegar sometimes works better than alcohol, as it is a bit acidic.
Old 01-25-23, 01:43 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by azmojo
Won't the installer warranty this?
Typically they wouldn't warranty it if they claim that it was the user's fault or negligence. Even though I never used any soaps or chemicals that would've caused this.

If it is a residue I would try a little white vinegar and a cotton ball to see if it removes it.

Vinegar sometimes works better than alcohol, as it is a bit acidic.
That's a good idea - never thought of that. I'll have to try that in a small inconspicuous area first though. Thanks!
Old 01-26-23, 03:35 AM
MLMLC52K18
Advanced

Received 309 Likes on 228 Posts

guanche.....Don’t have any suggestions to help you resolve spotting issues beside buffing, and you definitely cannot do that..... However, I do think this was your most personal and relaxed delivery….See all things get better with time.
Old 02-09-23, 12:43 PM
Metal1
Pit Crew

Any update?
Old 02-10-23, 06:02 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Any update?
I brought it to a professional detailing product shop - that also has a detailer. we tried out a couple of PPF specific detailers and cleansers, and nothing. I still haven't tried CarPro Spotless 2.0 or IronX. I should give them a try, even though the person at the detail shop said that they wouldn't work. I lose nothing in trying. I already got a quote for replacing the PPF for the full hood and front fenders. I've mentally prepared myself to spend that money....
Old 02-11-23, 03:42 AM
MLMLC52K18
Advanced

Received 309 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
I've mentally prepared myself to spend that money....
It's only chump change for a baller like you, G.O.T...
Old 02-11-23, 07:48 AM
Metal1
Pit Crew

I was waiting to hear about wether you had determined it was a deposit or an etching.

It looked to me like residue, but it could have etched into the PPF.

Years ago where I worked there was a refinery across the street that released some nasty stuff that deposited on the cars in the lot.

They ended up paying for detailers, and I think a couple of paint jobs as well.
Old 04-29-23, 09:48 AM
SunCruzin
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Any updates or more clarity on what was the underlying cause of the issue?

Quick Reply: Spotting on my Xpel PPF