LC Model (2018-present)

Summer tires in 40 degree weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-23, 03:38 PM
redrocktom
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Summer tires in 40 degree weather

Since the LC only offers high performance summer tires, I am somewhat worried about running them during winter months in my area. We can run daytime temps between 38-43 F often during the winter, but mostly dry. I am retired and would not drive in wet or snow conditions, or in temps approaching freezing.. If others have used these tires in similar conditions, I would love to hear your experiences and recommendations. I know this topic was explored some 4 years ago, but was hoping to get more recent experiences.
Old 02-18-23, 05:47 PM
TripFarmer
Driver

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocktom
Since the LC only offers high performance summer tires, I am somewhat worried about running them during winter months in my area. We can run daytime temps between 38-43 F often during the winter, but mostly dry. I am retired and would not drive in wet or snow conditions, or in temps approaching freezing.. If others have used these tires in similar conditions, I would love to hear your experiences and recommendations. I know this topic was explored some 4 years ago, but was hoping to get more recent experiences.
My Dealer’s Service Manager said down to 32 but I set my limit at 40.
Old 02-18-23, 09:15 PM
LCIncline
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Ended up having the car in snowy conditions with the stock performance tires. Not a good idea, got stuck. Took me a while to get it out.
Old 02-20-23, 03:30 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 250 Posts

I switched to the Mich Pilot sport all season 4. Non RF, best of both worlds when needed, great tire. You will need to go to 255's on the fronts.
Old 02-20-23, 04:50 PM
redrocktom
Rookie

Yes, that's where my research led for all-seasons. Probably 255's front and 285's rear to keep the diameters close.
Old 03-03-23, 06:57 AM
pinemind
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's been an abnormally snowless winter here in the Northeast. That being said, it has gotten down to the mid to high 20's on a few days. I run my summer Michelin's and drive the car year round. Yes, you lose grip, but that's to be expected. I priced out a winter package (Lexus TPMS, decent wheels, snow tires) and quickly decided I'd rather buy a winter beater, which will also help keep miles off the LC. I've got a 1985 4Runner I restored and use during snow, but now with the LC, it's hard to drive that tractor around for any length of time except for offroad/snow/beach trips. I'm looking an an older RX or GX470, potentially a GS350 AWD.
Old 03-03-23, 10:58 AM
fodalo
Instructor

i.m with you pinemind. NH for me. I have a 2003 GS300 that I bought for the Mrs 20 yrs ago, it has 227500 miles on it and runs like a top and is our winter beater. Grandkids will use it if their vehicles are laid up for a period of time, but still serves us well. The 18 LC sits on a lift in the garage from Nov. to Apr. It saves in a lot of ways when it sleeps for the winter.
Old 03-03-23, 01:06 PM
redrocktom
Rookie

Originally Posted by pinemind
It's been an abnormally snowless winter here in the Northeast. That being said, it has gotten down to the mid to high 20's on a few days. I run my summer Michelin's and drive the car year round. Yes, you lose grip, but that's to be expected. I priced out a winter package (Lexus TPMS, decent wheels, snow tires) and quickly decided I'd rather buy a winter beater, which will also help keep miles off the LC. I've got a 1985 4Runner I restored and use during snow, but now with the LC, it's hard to drive that tractor around for any length of time except for offroad/snow/beach trips. I'm looking an an older RX or GX470, potentially a GS350 AWD.
Be careful about driving the summers around at or below freezing. When inquiring, I was told by both Michelin and Bridgestone that the tires can crack at or below freezing.
Old 03-03-23, 02:45 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Good info redrock, never heard of this.
Old 03-03-23, 05:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^^Yes, it's another reason to avoid summer tires in cold (freezing) weather. From Tire Rack:

Old 03-03-23, 05:40 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Thanks SP good article.
Old 03-04-23, 09:55 AM
redrocktom
Rookie

With probably a majority of their customers living in cold climates, it's disappointing that Lexus does not offer all season tires as an option. Virtually all of their direct competitors do.

Last edited by redrocktom; 04-26-23 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-26-23, 07:26 AM
Cooker883
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

My LC came to me here in Vermont in January with a lovely set of Yokohama hi-perf summer tars. The car was capable of getting stuck (snow & ice) on perfectly level ground, just outside its garage. I knew before I bought it that it would be the World’s Worst Winter Car. And so it is. Considering my location, I doubt any snow tars would change this. But its stablemate, a lovely old AWD LS460 with Bridgestone Blizzaks, is absolutely brilliant in the snow.
Old 04-26-23, 01:07 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Cooker have you been to Winnipesaukee? I remember seeing a infrared with Vermont plates.
Old 04-26-23, 02:20 PM
redrocktom
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cooker883
My LC came to me here in Vermont in January with a lovely set of Yokohama hi-perf summer tars. The car was capable of getting stuck (snow & ice) on perfectly level ground, just outside its garage. I knew before I bought it that it would be the World’s Worst Winter Car. And so it is. Considering my location, I doubt any snow tars would change this. But its stablemate, a lovely old AWD LS460 with Bridgestone Blizzaks, is absolutely brilliant in the snow.
You have a nice winter alternative in the LS, but I would bet with winter tires the LC would perform satisfactorily.

Quick Reply: Summer tires in 40 degree weather