LC-F cancelled??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 10:37 AM
VicAndRay
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LC-F cancelled??

https://carbuzz.com/news/we-have-ter...the-lexus-lc-f

Not sure how legit this news/site is but would not be surprised.
Old 06-24-20, 10:08 PM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, if it is true then it is not suprising. The LC does not sell well, and less people who pay for a more expensive "powerful LC"
Old 06-25-20, 02:26 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I truly hope they don’t cancel the LC-F but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (06-28-20)
Old 07-19-20, 02:12 PM
Thorne
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was always a bit confused about how Toyota/Lexus would justify a higher-dollar, higher-performance version of a model that had sold so far below forecasts & predictions. Prior to release, Lexus went public with their prediction of 400 units sold per month (https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...lc-high-hopes/). That number hasn't been hit since 2 months after the car's release (July 2017). Sales figures pre-COVID were between 20-50% of their publicly stated target.

COVID sales numbers have been a couple dozen per month, with a few months not reporting any units sold, I guess? (https://carsalesbase.com/us-lexus-lc/) Covid has wreaked havoc on many things, but the LC was struggling by a large margin even before that.

Love the car (although I still think it's a bit heavier than it should be). It's just not one I'd see a manufacturer throwing additional R&D at to make higher price point variants, based upon its sales performance thus far. Sad, but not wholly surprising.
Old 07-24-20, 01:39 PM
SkyPara82
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ttantioch
I agree, if it is true then it is not suprising. The LC does not sell well, and less people who pay for a more expensive "powerful LC"
The LC doesn't sell well in the same regard that most performance vehicles north of $100K don't sell in high volume. It is a specialized market....not something Lexus expects gen pop to gobble up. So to your concluding point, you're correct: tag tens of thousands more onto the price tag of a new LC (mine is a fully loaded 2019 LC with performance pack) and then you're talking really low volume. SUVs are the rage these days...
Old 07-24-20, 03:27 PM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

toyota has to have a better strategy when in comes to performance. imo, the gorgeous lc was due to fail for 2 reasons: 1) you could buy a much cheaper lex that would blow its doors off and 2) as good as it looks, the trunk is worthless. at its price-point, the lc needed to be the lex king, instead it's just a prince.
years back, i was very close to trading my cts-v coupe for one, even with the lc's significantly less hp and 1/4 mi specs, but then i'd also have to give up a sunroof as well as the previously mentioned shortcomings, so no deal. driving it was a dream though! lex seemed to have fixed the drivability issues i experienced with the "f" models.
so, i'm in violent agreement with you folks and if the lc-f never appears, it will not be a big loss as i'm thinking the price alone would make it too exceptional - much like the lf-a, by the time that was available, you could get a camaro zl1 that would give it a go.

lastly, my cts-v is a typical american pos. bought new with problems to this day that gm won't correct. it has had a bit too much warranty work but i was willing to live with that because it does not pretend to be a sport cars - it's every bit as much (and yes it's been tweaked)! i new something changed in me as the ls accumulated less than 1k miles in the 18 mos after i bought the v. my '13 ls was my 4th and was by far the most reliable and best vehicle i have ever owned!

peace
Old 07-24-20, 03:55 PM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Only a few rich people can afford a 100k car.
Fewer rich people would choose two-door coupe.
Fewer fewer people would choose Lexus LC500 rather than MB s coupe, BMW m8, Porsche panamera
ls4guy (07-24-20)
Old 07-24-20, 05:24 PM
SkyPara82
Driver

Originally Posted by ls4guy
toyota has to have a better strategy when in comes to performance. imo, the gorgeous lc was due to fail for 2 reasons: 1) you could buy a much cheaper lex that would blow its doors off and 2) as good as it looks, the trunk is worthless. at its price-point, the lc needed to be the lex king, instead it's just a prince.
years back, i was very close to trading my cts-v coupe for one, even with the lc's significantly less hp and 1/4 mi specs, but then i'd also have to give up a sunroof as well as the previously mentioned shortcomings, so no deal. driving it was a dream though! lex seemed to have fixed the drivability issues i experienced with the "f" models.
so, i'm in violent agreement with you folks and if the lc-f never appears, it will not be a big loss as i'm thinking the price alone would make it too exceptional - much like the lf-a, by the time that was available, you could get a camaro zl1 that would give it a go.

lastly, my cts-v is a typical american pos. bought new with problems to this day that gm won't correct. it has had a bit too much warranty work but i was willing to live with that because it does not pretend to be a sport cars - it's every bit as much (and yes it's been tweaked)! i new something changed in me as the ls accumulated less than 1k miles in the 18 mos after i bought the v. my '13 ls was my 4th and was by far the most reliable and best vehicle i have ever owned!

peace
Good points, but you do have some apples and oranges mixed together. My stable has a high hp modified Corvette Grand Sport 6MT, an AWD 6.4L Durango SRT, and a 2019 LC500 with performance pack. Completely different personalities in all three. The LC is a grand tourer and a damned good one. The attention to detail is incredible, the interior luxury component is top shelf, and driving it always brings a smile. It wasn't made to snort fire like a CTS-V. Anyone who thinks so misses the point. It also wasn't made with the expectation of high volume sales. The six-figure out the door price kills any high volume expectation. I don't see the low volume as a bad thing--have only seen two others in the wild in San Antonio. If you're going to compare, do it with the previous gen of Aston Martin vantage. Beauty with enough power to make driving it fun. For the beast fix, it's the lopey cam in the vette. If it's hauling stuff from Costco...well...that'd be the DD SRT with the big hemi. To the point made about the LC F's potential price point, the pool of eligible buyers would've narrowed significantly. Lexus knows that. For my money, I'm waiting (impatiently) for the 2022-23ish C8 ZO6. BTW, there were two different black 2 door CTS-Vs that always jumped my vette on Hwy 281 here. During rush hour. Got a little bit of open space one time and gave it a go with one from a rolling start. That was hair on fire FUN!
JONPRON (07-25-20)
Old 07-25-20, 07:05 PM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyPara82
Good points, but you do have some apples and oranges mixed together. My stable has a high hp modified Corvette Grand Sport 6MT, an AWD 6.4L Durango SRT, and a 2019 LC500 with performance pack. Completely different personalities in all three. The LC is a grand tourer and a damned good one. The attention to detail is incredible, the interior luxury component is top shelf, and driving it always brings a smile. It wasn't made to snort fire like a CTS-V. Anyone who thinks so misses the point. It also wasn't made with the expectation of high volume sales. The six-figure out the door price kills any high volume expectation. I don't see the low volume as a bad thing--have only seen two others in the wild in San Antonio. If you're going to compare, do it with the previous gen of Aston Martin vantage. Beauty with enough power to make driving it fun. For the beast fix, it's the lopey cam in the vette. If it's hauling stuff from Costco...well...that'd be the DD SRT with the big hemi. To the point made about the LC F's potential price point, the pool of eligible buyers would've narrowed significantly. Lexus knows that. For my money, I'm waiting (impatiently) for the 2022-23ish C8 ZO6. BTW, there were two different black 2 door CTS-Vs that always jumped my vette on Hwy 281 here. During rush hour. Got a little bit of open space one time and gave it a go with one from a rolling start. That was hair on fire FUN!
so yes, i hear you and know that as we share thoughts, it's a quite subjective subject, i believe lex quality, attention to detail, and design are superb! i don't have to tell u that there are factions out here that swear by benz. i personally don't see it, but again, it's subjective. while i agree with your views on price, many would think someone is nuts to spend that kind of coin on a car. perhaps, i'm fortunate and nuts but as previously mentioned, at $100k, an rc-f or gs-f must see the lc's tailpipes in a drag even if whisper quiet. so know, i don't believe the lc and cts-v can compare. there's a ton of refinement in the lc that caddy may never learn. that said, bmw does it with their m so i'd like to see lex "fix" that.

you clearly appreciate autos and seem well rounded, and i have a buddy holding out for the c8 z06 as well. i hope it's awd cause from a stop, it's all about who can hook first. i must admit, i've surprised a couple hellcats and frankly scared myself. on a roll from 30, i do believe those dodges would hurt me. so please enjoy, it's fun. lastly, i've learned that it's better for me if the cars we share are "pleasant" to all. so lopey would not cut it in this household. btw, she drives a 450h and is scared to death of the v but she'll at least drive it twice a year which suits me just fine.

good post
71Choptop (01-30-22)
Old 01-30-22, 09:12 AM
71Choptop
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

so yes, i hear you and know that as we share thoughts, it's a quite subjective subject, i believe lex quality, attention to detail, and design are superb! i don't have to tell u that there are factions out here that swear by benz. i personally don't see it, but again, it's subjective. while i agree with your views on price, many would think someone is nuts to spend that kind of coin on a car. perhaps, i'm fortunate and nuts but as previously mentioned, at $100k, an rc-f or gs-f must see the lc's tailpipes in a drag even if whisper quiet. so know, i don't believe the lc and cts-v can compare. there's a ton of refinement in the lc that caddy may never learn. that said, bmw does it with their m so i'd like to see lex "fix" that.

you clearly appreciate autos and seem well rounded, and i have a buddy holding out for the c8 z06 as well. i hope it's awd cause from a stop, it's all about who can hook first. i must admit, i've surprised a couple hellcats and frankly scared myself. on a roll from 30, i do believe those dodges would hurt me. so please enjoy, it's fun. lastly, i've learned that it's better for me if the cars we share are "pleasant" to all. so lopey would not cut it in this household. btw, she drives a 450h and is scared to death of the v but she'll at least drive it twice a year which suits me just fine.

good post
I to have the C8 z06 on my short list of new vehicle to by, but at 70 I decided that it was not the car for me... Found your comment concerning it being awd interesting and would be nice concerning take offs. One vehicle that is running neck and neck, so to speak, w/the LC 500 is the Jeep Track Hawk, I know 2 TOTALLY different vehicles but being a old hotrodder and still loving the feeling of blasting off from a stop sign to infinity, the track hawk w/awd and 707 Hellcat hp is very appealing to me, but maybe not as much as the lines and exclusivity of the LC.
Old 01-31-22, 09:57 AM
SkyPara82
Driver

good post
I had to re-read my post to remember what I wrote. Understand and agree with you. Fascinating times to be a performance car enthusiast. On the one hand we're seeing manufacturers push their best work as a farewell to their internal combustion lines. On the other we're seeing Tesla finally get some solid competition in the EV market. Few changes since my last post: I sold the LC500....Lexus made an offer to buy it back. It was a sweet deal. Also, decided against the C8 Z06 and on a dealer wait list for the Caddy CT5-V Blackwing. And waiting...and waiting. You mentioned Merc and I'm curious to see what they do with their hybrid AMG C63 S....4 cyl (turbo I think) and two electric motors. Will probably be wicked fast but lacking the aural and visceral driving experience of the last two gens before it. Also impressed with the Bimmer M4 Comp with X drive. They got that car right....well....there is that one thing with the giant flared nostrils in the front. Aftermarket companies are lining up with nice fixes for the M4's front fascia. Lexus....curious to see if they actually pump out an ISF as the upline of the IS500. Again, fascinating times to be a performance enthusiast.