bugs, quirks, and usability issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-21, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts
Default bugs, quirks, and usability issues

first off, i LOVE my LC!

and from everything i'd seen/read before, i expected some 'idiosyncrasies' or quirks and limitations.

here's a few... let me know if you have solutions, workaround, the same, or anything else you can add!

so the much adored 'track pad'. i've gotten used to it, and the FIRST thing i did when i got the car was turn off the 'feedback' (the car bumping the pad when you touch corners/edges). i didn't need it, didn't want it. well the LC has other plans for me. seemingly every other time i start the car, the 'feedback' is there again, even though the settings show it's turned off! the only way i've seen to fix this until the next time is turn it ON and then turn it OFF again. very irritating.

climate 'concierge' - a great feature, unless you want to turn it off! first off, it should be settable on/off for EACH SEAT as passenger or driver may want or not want it.
next, when it's 'on' (the bar indicator lights to the 'theme' color (brown or blue only?), if you use touch pad to select again, it does NOT turn off. the only way i've found to turn it off is to turn off the auto climate control and then back on.

that 'horn' sound from the back when starting and stopping the car! we've discussed here in 355's thread i think. doesn't happen every time, but probably every other time! it's weird... i've kind of tuned it out though.

the auto-folding mirrors when locking/unlocking the car are turned off if you use the manual fold/unfold button. as pointed out (mcomer, thanks) if you have to fold the mirrors in manually, use the fold button (upper right of mirror control pad) - and this will turn off the auto - but when you unfold the mirrors, do so with the auto button (upper left of control pad) instead, which will fold out the mirrors and turn auto on.

i find the transmission pretty amazing, but not perfect. i've noticed in comfort mode the shift from 7th to 8th when cruising is much rougher/noticeable than other shifts.

the outside door handles are cool, but i really don't like the operation much. press the indent to get the handle to come out, then open the door. that's ok, but when i close the door and the handle's still out, i get nervous pressing the handle to get it to go back in as you have to use quite a bit of force. so instead i typically just use the key fob lock button instead.

seat memory controls are great, but WHY didn't they include them for the passenger side!?!?! grrr

the seatbelt guide and path - no one can seem to agree on which side up the belt should go and it seems to vary from car to car! in previous coupes i've had the car "hands you" the buckle with some motorized arm or other mechanism. on the LC it's a bit more work.

Old 05-18-21, 11:24 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 620 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so the much adored 'track pad'. i've gotten used to it, and the FIRST thing i did when i got the car was turn off the 'feedback' (the car bumping the pad when you touch corners/edges). i didn't need it, didn't want it. well the LC has other plans for me. seemingly every other time i start the car, the 'feedback' is there again, even though the settings show it's turned off! the only way i've seen to fix this until the next time is turn it ON and then turn it OFF again. very irritating.
ork.
LoL...yep. Mine did this for the last month for some reason for a few weeks.

It hasn't happened in about 2 weeks though now!
Old 05-18-21, 11:26 AM
355F1
Racer

that 'horn' sound from the back when starting and stopping the car! we've discussed here in 355's thread i think. doesn't happen every time, but probably every other time! it's weird... i've kind of tuned it out though.
That horn sound happens at random times in my garage. Multiple times now. Not joking. Happened last night about 5 hours after I got home. when I was out in the garage.

Can anyone please tell me HOW THIS IS SOMETHING A LEXUS ENGINEER CREATED???!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 05-18-21, 12:03 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

first off, i LOVE my LC!
the outside door handles are cool, but i really don't like the operation much. press the indent to get the handle to come out, then open the door. that's ok, but when i close the door and the handle's still out, i get nervous pressing the handle to get it to go back in as you have to use quite a bit of force. so instead i typically just use the key fob lock button instead.
On our car, it just takes a little bump to get the outside handle to lock the car. Just a nudge with the side of my hand.
Old 05-18-21, 01:59 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

From one of the newest proud owners (exactly one week):

- Track pad: Getting used to it. Once everything is set, there should be diminishing need to mess with it.

- Climate concierge: Agree. And the on/off indicator is very difficult to discern. And yes, the only way to turn the thing off seems to be to return to manual temperature adjustment. I'm highly likely to keep ignoring it insofar, as a Floridian, my seat "ventilation" (which thankfully is a/c air, I don't care what anyone says) always will be on. If I need the neck warmer, I'll just have to remember to dig through the main menu before I hit the road.

- Horn sound. Haven't heard it. OTOH, I'm 74 years old and my hearing, along with everything else, is starting to go.

- Auto-folding mirror: Agree. It's just plain weird. A bazillion settings through the main menu, but this isn't one of them.

- Transmission: I have noticed some automatic gear changes that seem a bit harsher than I expected, especially downshifts near the stopping point. Not a problem at all. Just an observation.

- Door handles: Basically, they're semi-automatic rather than fully automatic. Acceptable, but odd on a vehicle at this price point.

- Passenger seat memory controls: Right on. An annoying omission, particularly given the snugness of the cockpit, which sometimes requires forward-aft adjustments if one wants to reach into the back seat.

- Seatbelt guide: No problem here.

Additions:

- The thread I started regarding the inability to remotely send destinations to the nav system through the otherwise highly capable Lexus phone app.

- The "meter" screen - the one in the center of the driver display, right below the speedometer - defaults to fuel efficiency each time you start the car. Many other informational displays are available if you find and work the menu, but your setting won't hold. The car will default to fuel efficiency each time you start it.

- Windows in the 'vert don't close automatically when the roof comes back up. They do on some other high-end 'verts, but here one has to lift the button assigned to those windows. (First World issue for sure, much like many of these others.)

Like bitkahuna, I LOVE my LC and have no regrets and nothing herein should be interpreted otherwise. As he said, every vehicle has its idiosyncrasies.
Old 05-18-21, 03:34 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Too many little annoyances that just wore on me, and ended up selling it.

- Random music play IS NOT random, plays the same sequence from usb stick EVERTIME the car is started.

- Freeway exits pop up on the split screen and doesn’t revert back to what was displayed there before. And can’t turn it off!!

- Lack of trunk storage.

- Utterly usless rear seats FOR ANYTHING. Maybe if the front seats moved/folded faster, but it’s like watching snow melt.
Old 05-18-21, 05:29 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Discovered a neat little quirk today. Pharmacy drive thru, when I pulled up it set off the nearly useless front sensor, steady chime. But lo! If you push the “Ok” on the steering wheel it stops the chime.

The front sensors seem to work only with things over a foot and a half tall. Really need to have some way to judge curbs or other smaller objects (someone laying there?). A camera is very appropriate for such a long front end. “Bird’s eye view” as we had on the 720 takes a little getting used to but is very useful.
Old 05-18-21, 05:33 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TimboIS

- Utterly usless rear seats FOR ANYTHING. Maybe if the front seats moved/folded faster, but it’s like watching snow melt.
I’d prefer they just forget the fake seat thing and give us a true parcel shelf, like in the Bentley Conti GT3R

The following users liked this post:
blueNblack (05-21-21)
Old 05-18-21, 05:35 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

Actually, my 8-year-old granddaughter can sit pretty comfortably back there, so long as no one is in the front passenger seat. That was a pleasant surprise, as she's still too young to legally sit up front. Not ideal, but it does give us some flexibility at school pickup time.

Last edited by redhot47fl; 05-18-21 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-18-21, 06:13 PM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by Exhilr8n
Discovered a neat little quirk today. Pharmacy drive thru, when I pulled up it set off the nearly useless front sensor, steady chime. But lo! If you push the “Ok” on the steering wheel it stops the chime.

The front sensors seem to work only with things over a foot and a half tall. Really need to have some way to judge curbs or other smaller objects (someone laying there?). A camera is very appropriate for such a long front end. “Bird’s eye view” as we had on the 720 takes a little getting used to but is very useful.
The front sensors on my LC pick up almost every parking curb in front. The key is you have to go very slowly because it only seems to work on a very limited scope of view (not sure if I worded this correctly) and only for a quick second or two.

(my parking sensors are also turned all thew way up to the highest sensitivity)
harryjames (07-02-21)
Old 05-18-21, 06:17 PM
Realcanuk
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I have only had the car about a month but so far none of those things really bother me. I rarely even use the trackpad now that things are set the way I like them. The climate concierge is great and i just leave it on all the time.
As mentioned, the door handle just needs a small nudge to close, I have never had to push it in.
No strange horn honks here yet.....
As far as passenger memory for the seat... I could really care less about that. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Realcanuk:
harryjames (05-20-21), raider888 (07-05-21)
Old 05-18-21, 06:53 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts

some observations from a 2019 with 38k between us:
- track pad: no issue after you learn it
- concierge: works flawlessly if you let it. we have the steering wheel
set to max warmth as it makes the car feel alive.
- horn: what horn. our brakes sometimes grab a little and chirp, esp. in reverse
- trans: works flawlessly in sport and sport + if you keep revs up
- mirror: use the handy switch to forget about it
- door handles: require a light brush to open/close (have you noticed
the overhead light switches dont require touch at all?)
- passenger seat controls: no complaints heard
- meter beneath speedo does not reset upon start up (stays as displayed)
- happy they didnt waste weight with a power trunk lid on such a
light lid
- sub woofer never barks
hope this helps !

DRGibbons (05-19-21)
Old 05-18-21, 07:17 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tmillLC500
- happy they didnt waste weight with a power trunk lid on such a
light lid
Clearly you didn’t have the performance package? That lid was very heavy!!
Old 05-18-21, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Realcanuk
The climate concierge is great and i just leave it on all the time.
i agree it's great and would normally leave it on all the time but recently my passenger did not want the ventilated seats going. Despite my saying they could just raise their temp and it should stop, they didn't get it which is why i had to figure out how to turn off concierge! But otherwise, heck yeah, love it.

As mentioned, the door handle just needs a small nudge to close, I have never had to push it in.
wow, maybe i need a lesson? Seems i have to press fairly firmly on the handle to have it close. (Edit: see below, i figured it out with your help!)

As far as passenger memory for the seat... I could really care less about that. LOL
Drive alone mostly then?

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Clearly you didn’t have the performance package? That lid was very heavy!!
#truth

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-18-21 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-18-21, 09:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Ok about 'closing' the door handles, i just went out to see what i might be doing wrong, and figured it out.

When the door handle is 'out' i had previously felt the somewhat light resistance to close and beyond that much firmer resistance.
i know see when you press it in just in the light resistance amount and then let go, about 1/2 a second maybe later, in goes the handle

well thanks guys, and yes DrGibbons i did read the manual, and no, it wasn't clear to me.

Exhilr8n (05-18-21)

Quick Reply: bugs, quirks, and usability issues