Lexotic Concepts A Reflection of Perfection.

Horrible Experience with Area51

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-02 | 10:41 AM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

Default Horrible Experience with Area51

Well. Here is my story.

I purchased a fiberglass hood from Area 51 on February 7th. I paid $600 including shipping.

Almost 2 weeks later I received a call from the shipping company saying that the hood cannot be delivered unless I pay the freight cost of $180. I contacted Area 51 and told them the situation. I went ahead and paid the money with the understanding that I would be reimbursed.

The next day, I took the hood to my body shop. They told me flat out it was one of the worst made hoods they've ever seen. They proceeded to tell me they would only install and paint the hood if I had 4 (yes 4) hood pins on the car. I was prepared to put only 2.

We took a closer look at the hood and noticed that the frame of the hood had seperated from the top of the hood. (Just like Ticalis200 CF hood did when it flew up and smashed all over his car) However, this hood came manufactured like this.

I called Area 51 and they eventually said they'd send another hood.

The hood was received by my body shop on the 27th of March!!!

Til this day (April 10th: 2 months after ordering the hood) I still have not been reimbursed. I have sent emails. I have called. I have been assured that this would be taken care of. I sent an email 2 days ago saying I would go to the better business bureau and I would also post my experiences online... I got no response.

I have not had a chance to take a look at the new hood, but my guess is that it is similar to the old one.

I feel I have been scammed. I am now out over $780. I still do not have a non-salvaged hood on my car. I feel completely unsafe putting this hood on my car. I feel I cannot trust the people at Area 51. If I cannot trust the people I am dealing with, there is no possible way I can trust their products.

I will call the better business bureau tomorrow.

I have been patient for over two months and I have held out hoping that Area 51 would take care of this. I feel that I cannot keep quiet any longer.

For the rest of you who read this, be careful with this company and good luck with your purchases. I was almost positive I could trust them.
Old 04-10-02 | 12:31 PM
Static911

I will not lock this thread because you posted this in your car club. The other one, I had to lock because it was located in the public IS300 forum.

Static911
Old 04-10-02 | 02:14 PM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

Okey dokey. Thanks.
Old 04-10-02 | 06:32 PM
YLW IS300
Pole Position

De,

I have only had one dealing with A51. I received my intake and BB from them, I can say, shipping time was good, price was great, check engine light sucks, Dave has not gotten back to me on any of my posts, but seems to reply to everyone else.
Old 04-11-02 | 11:42 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Stop buying **** from cross country you doof!! Buy locally so if you have a problem you know the guys personally!!! I dont buy nothing from non- Northeast shops any more!!

Area51 was pretty cool with me when I dealt with them, maybe I got lucky.
Old 04-11-02 | 03:46 PM
ISzBest
Driver

You can add me to the "been screwed over by A51 list" too!
Old 04-13-02 | 07:26 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Hi Static911,

I don't really understand your comment on locking the thread?

and lock the one in IS300 form?

Why? someone had a bad experience with a vendor, posting a caution to CL member dealing with the vendor. I thought this CL club is also helping other CL member and avoid crap like that?

Unless A51 was sponcer of the form? then they should even help CL member more not screw them over?

Can you explain why a thread need to be lock?
Old 04-21-02 | 08:26 AM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

I now have received the check. I'm waiting for it to clear.

I have pics of the hood too. I feel bad posting online, so if you wanna see just let me know.

-De
Old 04-21-02 | 05:27 PM
Static911

ShinChan, maybe you should've PMed me. I would've responded earlier. I don't check Lexotic Concepts very much.

Well, to answer your question, originally, I thought by posting the "been screwed by Area51", I thought a flood of been screwed by XXX would've occured. You know, everyone jumps on the bandwagon not only for Area 51, but other vendors as well. I won't go in detail on what companies have screwed me.

I'm thinking of doing a "lodge a complaint forum." I'm not sure.

On one point, yes, it is important that a member has been screwed over by a reputable vendor and wants to vent the frustration (heck, I've been waiting for a $450 check for nearly 1 month now from Area51Fab). Of course, lucky for me, I live 10 minutes away.

However, on the global view, Area 51 does have a good track. They aren't GT Autosports or other vendors who constantly try to undercut their customers.

This is a community, but a professional community. If you want to talk further, PM me. I'll tell you great stories how the Net basically ruined some VERY good companies.

Ethan
Old 04-22-02 | 12:13 AM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

I think making a "lodge a complaint forum" is a good idea, that way everyone on CL can see the different problems we have with different vendors.

I have a problem with a vendor that's also a sponser to CL. I've been waiting almost a year for the complete kit that I ordered and paid in full, some $5K out of my pocket...I call and leave messages but no call back, when I do get in touch with them, they tell me it'll be about another month or so, this is very fustrating...

anyways that forum would be a great idea...

Aloha
Old 04-22-02 | 07:54 AM
Static911

ShinChan suggested a very nice idea of vendor rating complete with customer feedback

Ethan